xisto Community
anewgame

CSS Editor

Hello everybody,I need a CSS editor as soon as possible.. I already fuond a few until now, but the problem is that most of them are not free :P .. So I was looking for as many suggestions as possible.Oh, I forgot to tell you, I obviously need an WYSIWUG editor :PThank you in advance,me :P

Edited by anewgame (see edit history)

Hello everybody,I need a CSS editor as soon as possible..
I already fuond a few until now, but the problem is that most of them are not free :P ..
So I was looking for as many suggestions as possible.
Oh, I forgot to tell you, I obviously need an WYSIWUG editor :P
Thank you in advance,
me
:P

In my experience, it is really tough to edit CSS with a WYSIWYG editor. The whole point of CSS is t separate data and display. You have to go back and forth with specifying ids in the html and the styles in the CSS. Most WYSIWYG editors will just change the style in the html. Besides, how does the editor know whether to change the style for that instance, all instances of its class, type, or whatever?

JEdit has good support for highlighting and syntax checking of CSS and it has a preview function to show you what it looks like in the browser. It is Java based and cross-platform. The CSS support is in a downloadable module.

I have never heard of a WYSIWYG CSS Editor. However, there is an easy way to visually see CSS and how it looks. 1. Open up your (X)HTML editor. If you don't have one, I recommend AceHTML FreeWare 9. 2. Create whatever you need to format. Example:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/ CSS Test Page</title><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mycssfile.css" /></head><body><h1>Heading 1</h1><h2>Heading 2</h2><p class="intro">Intro paragraph</p><div id="header">Header box</div></body></html>
3. Make your CSS Stylesheet. Example:

body {border:1px dotted #0F0;margin:0px;padding:1cm}h1 {text-align:center;border-width:1px 0px 1px 0px;border-color:rgb(255,0,255);border-style:solid}h2 {background-color:#00F;color:white}p.intro {font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;border:1px solid #F00;background-color:#FFD1D1}div#header {font-size:14pt;position:relative;top:-10px;z-index:100}/* End of Top Section */
4. Save all files and open up the HTML page in your web browser (actually, test it in most browsers :P) 5. See what needs adjustment and what should be done next. This is the easiest way of doing CSS without a special editor. It works for me, it might work for you! :P

I recommend you use Macromedia Dreamweaver, It's a WYSIWYG editor that lets you easily create style sheets and view it live. It will cost you however, unless you find a free CD key around there...

Dreamweaver is a great application, but I think that he was looking for freeware.

I just use a firefox extension called EditCSS. It opens a sidebar with the code on the left and the webpage you are editing will change as you change the code. It is a handy little tool.

That's pretty sweet! I'll have to check that one out.

NotePad2 for all your text coding needs.

+1 for NotePad2

I also sometimes use NoteTab, I really like it. It's free and it's got quite a few handy features. Color-coding, all of that good stuff to help you out when you just can't find that error in the code.

As far as I know, there really isn't a WYSIWYG editor for CSS, you just have to mess around with the code on your own and keep refreshing your page. But if there is one, it's news to me.

Well although I seldom use CSS there is a free alternative either with HTML Kit or PHP Designer 2006 you can check out or download FREE of charge either one at the following links.

For HTML Kit go to this link and have a look around. This is a great program that includes an FTP client, and I use this program when updating my own sites to get really fast results. It has plenty of plugins and the link provided will show that CSS if in fact a great part of those offered with this great FREE software...at least try it out.

For PHP Designer 2006 (this link is to the 2007 edition) go to this link and look at what it offers. I use this mainly for fast PHP development and testing locally but it also has an FTP client but I prefer the one that is in HTML Kit

Try the free stuff and then if not satisfied go to the costly version of software. If you pay for it and don't like it what do you do with it? If you get it free and like the way it works then fine but if not at least it only took some of your time and not your money.

I just use a simple program called TextPad. There's nothing sexy about it (no dynamic update of your website for css) for css, because it is not built for CSS, but to be a generic text editor. It does allow multiple files to be open at a time, so if you have "nested css files" meaning that if you have one overarching CSS file for the whole site and then sub css files for different parts of your site, this is a clean and good way to be able to access them easily with little problem. There are easier ways to do this, like through the FireFox extension, but I like TextPad because I use it for everything.

for crucial things i prefer buy it because talking about satisfied never lie so think to buy it .Don't you want something good for your project so go and buy it .it's better than you find it for free, i know you can buy it.LOL

If you really want a WYSIWYG editor, then I'd have to say go for Macromedia Dreamweaver. But do keep in the mind that the costs for that program are not exactly ideal; they border on the costs of Photoshop.On the other hand, I'd really recommend that you not use a WYSIWYG editor. More often than not (Dreamweaver is not an exception), WYSIWYG editors put the CSS styles within the html code itself (you know like <a href="#" style="color:#000;">Click</a>), which destroys the purpose of having CSS in the first place. Moreover, it makes your code messy and more bulky. If you put the same style for all link elements, then you've just copied the same code a good dozen times and wasted a bunch of space that could easily be saved with an external CSS file.Now onto a good non WYSIWYG editor. Truely there are TONS of these. I myself use Notepad++. It has tabs, making it nice to navigate. It also has built-in highlighting for a number of languages besides CSS (say in case you wanted to code in php or something). For me, it so far has covered most of my needs.-Cssed ------ this one is purely for editing CSS, hence the name-gedit ------ I used this at school before...it was okay, I suppose. But I do remember not liking it all that much.-GLeDitor ------ Written in pascal...-jEdit — written in Java. From what I've used of it at school, I've liked this editor a lot. It has numerous useful functions (such as the split screen).-Leafpad-NEdit ------ Used this one at school too. It was nice--loaded quickly. Clean and to the point.-Notepad2 ------ I was considering this in addition to Notepad++