xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bakr_2k5

Gentoo Cflags & Use help needed configuring make.conf

Hello,First off: Don't know if all goes well because i'm on a text-browser currently!K here we go:I'm installing gentoo, well i installed it already but setting up my make.conf,And my question is:My cflags are: CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -msse2 -msse3"But do i have to set -mmx -3dnow -msse -msse2 now in the USE flags or is it done automatticly by the CFLAGS?It's making me really confused :PI don't really want to f*ckup my gentoo system at this early stage :POw yes another question:When i want to recompile/rebuild my gentoo setup,do i use "emerge -e world" or "emerge -e system" ??Thanks in advance,bakr_2k5PS @vyoma: How is it going with the cursor-for-loop problem?PS2 text-browsing isn't everything ...PS3 Sorry for the language!

Edited by bakr_2k5 (see edit history)

CFLAGS are compiler optimisations,USE flags effect the ./configure stage of compiling.The differance is, the CFLAGS are sent to the compiler every time you compile an application. USE flags only effect certain ebuilds.For example, you could set "-X" in the use flags ( to remove Xorg), and compile KDE, or any graphical application.And they would be compiled WITH Xorg support, because the KDE ebuilds do not read the X USE flag.If you have a look at what packages actually read the flags like 3dnow, you will probably see that almost all of them ignore 3dnow, and let the compiler decide. ( 3dnow is probably turned on by default )Read the gentoo handbook about USE flags, it will describe in more detail.ALSO....Gentoo Only officially superts Athlon64, and therefore, on the 64bit version, the pre-compiled system is already optimised quite well for this processor... you dont need to spend hours re-compiling from stage 1.