xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lonebyrd

Is PHP-Nuke Hard To Use?

I was looking over the PHP-Nuke website, and it was very confusing to me. Is it a hard thing to use? I briefly read some of the HOW TO sections at the site, and it looked like it had some good features, but I don't want it to be so confusing that I have a problem getting it into my site, then have problems using it.

I don't think it is that hard to use, but I don't like it from my personal expierence. When I was entering the CMS (Content Management System) world, I tried to install php-nuke first. Unfortunatelly, I had certain problems during the installation, and that put me off. Now I am glad that happened, since I tried Joomla!, and was absolutely thrilled. While it might not be very easy to use in the beginning, as time passes by you will discover all its functions and why it is so good.So, before you even try "playing" with php-nuke, I advise you to try Joomla. It is more secure, and free - if I am not mistaken, the latest version of php-nuke costs 10 dollars :)

I agree with Pyost..Ive tried pretty much all the CMS software in the Fantastico script and came to the same conclusion..Joomla is the best.So easy to setup and get going with it!!SO many extensions/modules/components to download and install on your site..Soo many places to get help on Joomla also...All round a great open source idea...and so easy to use for ohter ppl that add content to the site..

I use php nuke currently on my website.If you want to see it in the works its http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is not too hard to use but if you don't know what your doing it becomes really hard because there is little support information on it.After using the free PHP-Nuke 7.8 I liked it and bought the 7.9 version because it fixes a ton of bugs in the program. It is also relatively easy to install themes ( there are tons of php-nuke theme creators out there )I like the way I can incorporate some of my own customizations in the code and add "blocks" and "modules".There are a lot of things that bug the hell outa me and features I wish it included but it is a pretty awesome Content Management System.I haven't used Joomla though... I think I will find it and upload it to my server and create a test website to try it out. It sounds like an interesting CMS considering 2 people seem to support it above PHP-Nuke.

PHP-Nuke is quite popular and if you read the PHP-Nuke How To at the main PHP-Nuke site you will find it quite easy to use after a little research. There is also the Idiots Guide I believe that Nuke Code (do a Google search for it) has the Idiosts guide ( I have them both on my Xisto account but it is down at the moment).PHP-Nuke is a Content Management System a CMS for short and it allows those with little to even no knowledge of administering a web site to easily manage and alter the way the site offers content and so on. It is helpful to have some PHP and HTML or Javascript knowledge but it is not necessary.PHP-Nuke is one of the older and also supported CMS's on the internet and has many modules and blocks for you to choose from. You could have a simple one to start with and learn and add those features that you want. Using it takes a little venturing and trial and error but with just a small amout of time you will become quite comfortable with how to do what you want with your web site. At least try it out for a while and see how it works, and then try others also then later you will find what you really like...matter like this are totally personal and being so what some love others might hate. I have been using PHP-Nuke for going on 3 1/2 years now and have no complaints.

PHP-Nuke looks pretty awsome from all the stuff I read. I'm just worried that it will be hard to install. I heard you have to edit all sorts of files in cpanel to get it to work, and I have no clue about all that kind of stuff. Joomla sounds good too, but I'm really interested in PHP-Nuke. I know if I spent some time at it I would probably be able to get it, especially with all the different sites out there about it. Like Houdini said, I could always try others after. I would just rather get one and stick with it, which is why I want to get the best I can.By the way BitShift, you site looks great!