xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lorenza pietersen

How To Edit Php Files?

To view and debug php files using an editor you will have to have PHP installed on your computer and since databases are usually used with PHP to make a more dynamic web site and since PHP and MySQL developers worked together to improve their products (which are both free) and you would also need a webserver like Apache , which is also free. A really great editor is PHP Designer 2006 or the newest version is PHP Designer 2007 you can get it HERE

If you really want to save yourself a lot of trouble with installing a webserver like Apache a dbms like MySQL PHP on your own on your local machine to wrtie and test your PHP and MySQL database then do your self a favor and get XAMPP HERE or if you have a Mac you would of course want to have MAMP which you can get right it at this LINK HERE!XAMPP not only installs Apache MySQL and PHP but also Perl and phpMyAdmin and Mercury Mail server and FileZilla FTP server. It is as simple as download the file and then run the install accepting the defaults. Within ten minutes of download you will have a working webserver MySQL database and the latest version of PHP plus the ability to use a software switch to use either PHP 4 or PHP 5 ever since I found XAMPP in 2003 I have been using and upgrading it when more important upgrades became available. Take this from some one who had in the past manually installed Apache PHP and MySQL...it is not worth the headaches of setting all that up when you can just download XAMPP then install it and boom you are done with it, it is truly childs play to install all that you get with XAMPP. TRY it out today.

I like crimpson editor, It colours the php instructions, separate php sintax from html code, and it does advanced search/replace features that i appreciate a lot for many uses, not just php coding.

Edit PHP in NotePad now webpage not workingHow To Edit Php Files?

I am fairly new to all this, so here is what happened. After receiving an email from a customer informing me of a type-o on one of my pages (Zen Cart) I went into my FTP server, /shop/includes/languages/english/, to be exact and editing the file in notepad. I saved it, transfered onto the server, and updated the template. Now the page doesn't work. I can post the php code if need be, but I have tried just about everything I can think of, being new to this.Please HELPPP!

-question by Megan

I hope I`m doing this right - this is my first time here. I`m also looking to write php codes and preview them on my computer before uploading them. Write them, not have a program try and do them for me; and I found this site that seems helpful for starting out http://www.wikihow.com/Write-PHP-Scripts

-reply by Cassandra

php file questionHow To Edit Php Files?

My question is php multiple form submit to file then it read line by line and then it fetch retrive and edit option etc look like databasePlease explain with example

-reply by ajith

You can edit PHP with any text editor as it's a scripting language and it's interpreted by an interpretor and it doesn't need to be compiled like java or c++

So you can use Notepad++ or any other text editor, you can even use an online editor and edit the file through your browser text area if you want to, but mos of programmers who use PHP are using an PHP IDE

I personally use PHP Designer 7, it's a really good PHP editor, I attached a link to it:

http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php