xisto Community
niran

Help Me To Edit Mx Records To Point To Google Apps Please help

Hope, all of you are aware of the free domain mail server from Google ( Google Apps previously called as Google Hosted) and Microsoft!

I need to edit my MX records for my domain which is hosted at: Xisto :)

But by going to cPanel >> Email Management Tools / Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry),

I cant see some fields asw explained in the Google Apps help pages!

# Use the information in the following table when you enter each MX record.

If your service requires you to enter server information directly into the DNS tables, the entries below need to have a type MX associated with them. You may not be able to enter the priority value exactly as it appears in the table below -- if you can't, make sure each record follows the indicated order (that is, an entry with priority "5" should be lower in value than entry "10"). And if you aren't able to assign priorities, you should only enter aspmx.l.google.com.. Set any TTL values to the maximum allowed.

Priority

Mail Server

* This is the top priority mail server. Do not assign this priority to any other servers. Learn more. ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

MX records often require the specific format of DNS records, including a trailing dot * at the end of any full-qualified domain names (for example, server.example.com.).

Congratulations! Your MX records are now configured to point to Google. Keep in mind that changes to MX records may take up to 48 hours to propagate throughout the Internet.

I can find only one input field there!

And tried both ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM and ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

(I dont know what the diff of using the last . (dot ) :D )

But both the time, It shows one error message as:

a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive

How to solve this?

I need to edit the MX records for both my top domain and also for my subdomain! ;)

Anybody please help! :)

Edited by Niran (see edit history)

Hope, all of you are aware of the free domain mail server from Google ( Google Apps previously called as Google Hosted) and Microsoft!

I need to edit my MX records for my domain which is hosted at: Xisto :)

But by going to cPanel >> Email Management Tools / Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry),

I cant see some fields asw explained in the Google Apps help pages!

I can find only one input field there!

And tried both ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM and ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

(I dont know what the diff of using the last . (dot ) :D )

But both the time, It shows one error message as:

How to solve this?

I need to edit the MX records for both my top domain and also for my subdomain! ;)

Anybody please help! :)

From what I can see, you should probably enter ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM (without the dot). The screen says to enter a fully qualified domain name (FQDN), so it will probably include the dot for you. What the dot does is tells the name server that it is a FQDN. Without the dot, if your domain was "mydomain.com", an entry like "mail" would be turned into "mail.mydomain.com". In the same way, "aspmx.l.google.com" woul be turned into "aspmx.l.google.com.mydomain.com", which is not what you would want. But, like I said, I would bet that cpanel wll add the final dot for you.

You can test the entry with nslookup from any unix/linux system. I believe it is on some versions of Windows as well. "nslookup type=mx mydomain.com" will pull the mail server entry for you. On a mac, "host -t mx mydomain.com" will do the same thing.

Also remember that it may take up to 48 hours for your change to actually take effect. This is because your name server entries are cached at many other name servers. They will still have the old entry even though you have changed it. Using "nslookup -type=mx mydomain.com mydomain.com" will pul the mail record for your domain directly from your domain so you can see what will eventually propogate to the rest of the 'Net.

Lastly, double check your setup on the Google side of things.

From what I can see, you should probably enter ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM (without the dot).

I had the dot problem too !

I was using zoneedit.com's nameserver. When I entered the ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. (with the dot) it did not accept it, and confused me for quite a while. :)

Later, in a fit of serendipity, I accidentally removed the dot and (click) !!! it worked.

But, I think Niran says that he already tried that .

I think this will help :

Set your nameserver to the one the domain name company provides.

Change the MX records settings in the domain name company's nameserver

Also add A name values as Xisto's IP address.

That is similar to what I did.

Try it and let me know if it works . :)

Finally the problem has been solved by removing the dot * in the end of the address! :P

used ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM instead of ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

Now the mail is working fine!

But Ic ant change the MX records for the subdomains!

I was using Google Apps for Fun.NiranVV.Com also!

But here in this cPanel, I can't change the MX records for that subdomain!

Its showing the old error message as:

:P

tried that after changing the name servers to point to Xisto also!

But still I cant change the MX records for any of the sub domains! :P

Tried using ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM and ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

But Its not helping me!

Please anybody help me! :P

Finally the problem has been solved by removing the dot * in the end of the address! :P

But Its not helping me!

how to configure in zonedit?

menu -=> Mail Servers (MX)

MailServer -=> my domain or google hosted address(ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.)

Thanks.

But Its not helping me!

Still I can't fix the problem! :P

Is there anybody to help me?

Its still showing as: a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive for subdomain

But no problem with the main domain! :P

I tried editing MX records for all the su domains!

But it displays the same error message for all those sub domains!

How to configure postfix to recieve mails from gmail on a unix box with global IP?Help Me To Edit Mx Records To Point To Google AppsHi all,I need to configure postfix on my unix box which has global IP and is directly connected to internet to be able to recieve mails from external domains such as gmail, yahoo.I tried but I could not.It returns following error to my sending ID when I try to send mail to the user ID on unix system.The destination server for this recipient could not be found in Domain Name Service (DNS). Please verify the email address and retry. If that fails, contact your administrator.Also when I try to send mail to the same ID from the unix system itself , It successfully gets delivered.Please guide me how do I configure? What should be values of different parameters $mydestination, $myhostname, $mydomain, $relayhost ?Please please reply it's urgent!-reply by Pragati Jain

my unix box which has global IP and is directly connected to internet to be able to recieve mails from external domains such as gmail, yahoo.-reply by Pragati Jain

You must find the DNS name of your unix box, as well as it's domain.
For instance, from your Unix box, go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and you will see your full dns name. You will see the IP address, but also the hostname as well as the domain name.
Of course, these info's should have been given to you by your Internet Service Provider.
Hope this helped.
Regards
Yordan

change of mx record to point to google appsHelp Me To Edit Mx Records To Point To Google Apps

Hi,

I have registered a domain with sify, when I go the MX record change option in the domain controller, it is asking for an ip address besides the host name record and priority. But google apps only provides host name record and priority. From where do I get this ip address? anyone please help.

thanks

Mahesh