xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SP Rao

Help Needed In Drupal Page Categerization

Well, I just installed Drupal 5 days ago succesfully. Have also used quite a few modules of Drupal.As everyone realizes, not many layouts are present for Drupal. I've hust selected one and proceeding with it. (Layout can be changed anytime). Though I had quite some frustrating times with Drupal, this one is the most frustarting one.Well, there are modules like Forum, Blog, Book etc for putting content up there in the site.Actually my problem is, I want separate pages for these and I want my front page to contain only articles. I want to keep liks for Blog, Forum Pages. The link part is done. But, I'm unable to stop displaying blog topics in the front page. I don't want them to be part of my menu "Content"... Any help here?

Ok. I will try to answer some of the questions here (there are too many - if I miss one, do ask again. :))

You want your different types of content to be shown as different pages? (Hope I am not mistaking it to be a requirement, where you want it to open in a new window).

Well, here is a fact - Drupal (or any other CMS) has only one page to display. There is only one index.php that fetches the requested data from the database dynamically, and generates the HTML on the fly and that is seen on the browser window.

Now, you can make it to look different for different types of content. How would you do that? Well, if you go to your administration links in the Navigation links section, you should notice something called blocks. Here try to define all the blocks (that would come on the left, or right or bottom or top), for all[/a] the types of content you want. Some things would remain common for all - for example the header and the primary links. Leave them alone. For the other blocks, you need to make them conditionally appear or dissapear depending on the type of content that is being shown. You get my point? See if you can do it, if you do not get it, do ask again on the specifics.

Now about the Blog posts coming in the front page - well, I think the solution is simple. When you create the blog posts, scroll down, and there will be something called the 'Publication options' if I remember right or something similar if I remember wrong. :) There, you have to uncheck the check-box against the 'Promote content to front page'. Hope that answers it.

Yes. In fact I wanted different things to be displayed at different pages. Now, I do understand that Drupal has only front page which is the main "node". Well, I believe that's verymuch needed for their archiotecture to work. But I needed different home pages for blogs and forums. May be I should try creating subdomains and provide a link to them through the navigation links;-) Well, I believe this involves installing Drupal again...I'll try oing what you've suggested too. Creating my own Blocks...

There is some setup where you can run multiple sites using one Drupal installation itself. I have not tried it myself, so I cannot be sure how this is achieved. But I belive it involves setting up another set of database tables, with some specific prefix w.r.t all the other sister sites that you want to run.