xisto Community
aboutthe

Windows Xp Vs Windows Vista

How much difference will be between these two windows .May be little or very much .What I think personally is there will be difference but it will be not that much as between windows 98 and xp .What are ur views about it.

That's sort of a vague question. There are lots of differences between XP and Vista. For that, you can even go to Microsoft's web site and see what the differences are. I think the difference between XP as compared to Vista and Vienna is:Vista=reformationVienna=revolutionof course that's assuming that microsoft is serious about those rumors. They're also stuck with big cash clients who don't want to have a fundamentally new OS.

It's too early to say anything. They usually look very alike in the beginning (other than the UI and some obvious features... there's also the speed difference) in their working. I think it's possible to use XP for a few years yet before moving to Vista.

From what i have heard all the difference will be is a visual difference. I have not been able to use Vista though. What i have read on many posts and even on the microsoft website, is that Windows Vista will make it easier to find files by putting certain files in special files and so fourth. Windows XP is just like a not as visual version of Vista. I think Vista is will be copying Macs OS. The way files folders look. I don't know though because i have never used it, but this is what i am predicting.

Speaking about Windows Vista and XP, I trust that Microsoft will have significant differences between versions. The switch from Windows 3.1 to 95 was fairly dramatic, and the transition from Windows 98 or ME to XP was even greater. With each additional version, the operating system becomes more robust, user-friendly, and beautiful. (As a disclaimer, let me emphasize that I am not saying that Windows is the ideal operating system. I am merely speaking of the evolution of this particular product).On the other hand, I was not jumping off my seat to download the Vista release candidates, nor will I immediately migrate to the final product when it comes out. As is with the Windows tradition, Vista promises to be even bulkier, more resource intensive, and power hungry than its earlier counterparts. Moreover, the price does not fit into my current budget. Finally, although I have tried and deleted Linux in the past, I plan on giving it another shot sometime in the future to decrease my dependence on Microsoft. I can't back my statements with statistics, but I am under the impression that the Windows monopoly is progressively losing its grip. Linux is becoming a viable alternative for the masses--not just computer geeks.

I'm personally not too fond with Vista myself but I won't go into all of that here.From what I have heard and read there is quite a bit more to it than just graphical, although there were some planned "biggish" features that they later decided to hold out on for awhile so they most likely won't be in the initial release but how knows.

Here is a little more info gleaned from various postings and articles, but since i'm basically rewriting them i'm not going to put them in quotes.

Basically:

The upgrade from XP to Vista can be compared to the upgrade from windows 3.1 to win95.

XP is basically a cosmetic upgrade to Windows 2000. It's built on the win2000 kernel.

Vista is packed with eye candy stuff. -- It'll need a much more powerful computer to run than what you can run XP on.

Shadow folders available.

User Account Control -- they finally stumbled upon getting everyone, including admin accounts, to run as regular users, and before you can install anything or do anything to the system you've got to input the admin password.

It employs the sandbox approach for running programs.

Better network protection.

and lots more...

I could go on, but here's a wikipedia article that pretty much gives a comprehensive Vista overview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

and here's microsoft's version:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows

Let's see how well they do on their release schedule, how many bugs it has, etc. I'm going to hold off for a year after it's released before i switch.

True. but for security purposes, i think Vista will be an improvement over XP.for speed, we'll probably have to wait for Vienna. Isn't that supposed to be built on something similar to the Linux kernel?

I've been using the Vista Beta, and have found it to be nice. As far as accessibility to administrator tools, it has more speed and easier ways to access, but the Linux annoyance of essentially asking for the root password to do anything (it only asks for permission if you have full admin status, and you can disable it). It seems to be only as fast as Windows XP, but it does more per action than XP, so in reality, it is faster, just slowed down by the extra things it does. The eye candy is amazing, I wish they'd make an aero ptch for XP. I have some problems because certain laptop generics (like touchpads) are still not fully supported, but Vista can run all XP drivers, which is nice.~Viz

I don't agree w/ the fact that the root password is considered an "annoyance" because it's also a life-safer. I can tell you this for a fact because I have a laptop running on Linux and my friend went on, good thing I wasn't running root or else my computer would be destroyed because he didn't know what he was doing.xboxrulz

Not keeping track of the root password for two actions where one spawns the other is an annoyance. At least for me. I understand not running root, and even prompting for root password, but at least keep track of it for the same overall job.~Viz

It'd be a personal annoyance for me too. However if anyone else like my little sister (who often plays her Dora games and things on here) got on it'd probably be put to the test :).

True. but for security purposes, i think Vista will be an improvement over XP.

for speed, we'll probably have to wait for Vienna. Isn't that supposed to be built on something similar to the Linux kernel?

Security? What security? Oh, you mean that VERY annoying box that should burn?

Anyways, Vista is a COMPLETE RIP of Mac OS X. All the same stuff is there, just a few extra clicks. If you have Vista and want to see, just watch this video entitled "Mac OS X being used over Vista description" on Google Videos: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Trust me, MS just stole Mac OS X... Vista is nothing special.

[N]F

Yes. I agree that in essence Vista is a rip of MacOS. BUT... it's windows. and all my programs are written for windows. once they make a windows version for the mac, or everyone starts porting their programs and games to MacOS, then i'll consider switching. Though I still say that Vista is a world of security improvement over XP>