xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mafamba Team

Hosting Help Pre-installed Scripts Downloading Joomla

I'm trying to downlaod Joomla, yet it says I need to delete the current scripts on my page and stuff,""Install Joomla (2/3)The installation can not be completed:- You chose to install in the main directory of the domain mafamba.astahost.com, but there are conflicting filenames, therefore we can not proceed. Following filenames already exist in the main directory of the domain mafamba.astahost.com (path="/home/mafamba/public_html/").You must manually remove these files before proceeding with auto-installation:images.htaccessClick on the browser's Back button to fix reported errors.""How do I delete these files? That's what I get and I am a bit confused.How can I manually remove these files, explanation thanked.Mafamba

I'm surprised that you have this problem, since I've installed Joomla! a couple of time, and always without any problems.

First of all, try deleting the images folder and the .htaccess file manually. That means either from a FTP client (I recommend Total Commander) or cPanel's file manager.

If that doesn't work, however, and you get an error, it probably means that you somehow do not have the permissions to delete those two - or better to say, only the server has them. If that's the case, you ought to check out this post, which explains how to deal with those problems.

I think this is quite natural to happen. There are two approaches to it:

1) Get connected to your account using the FTP access and do the changes

2) Use the File Manager in the cPanel itself.

Here is what I suggest you do with the .htaccess:

Using any of the above two methods, change it to some backup file, say: Sep12.htaccess or Sep12bak.htaccess

It is advisable to do this because you never know when something gets messed up and you need to restore everything.

For the images on the other hand, it wont be much of a problem. If you do not have anything else installed, and do not have any other images with in this folder (I am assuming it is a folder) then you can rightaway delete it. Else rename the folder to something else (example Sep12images or something like that).

No go ahead to the Fantastico and do the Joomla installation.

After you are done with that, if you had taken backup of Images is the above step, move all the images from that back up folder to the new images folder that was created by Joomla installer. After that you can remove the old backup folder.

As for the backup .htaccess file, let is stay there for a while until you are sure everything works fine.

Edit: Oops. Pyost beat me to the post, but I see we almost came to a similar solution.

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

I'm very new to everything like Content Managment Systems, and ahve been told that Joomla is my website.How can I create my website by adding content and pages to it, where do I have to go, and what to click.This would be really appreciated, thankyou!Thanks a bundleMafamba :)

I use Content Management Systems because they have all the functions an average user needs, while maintaining the simplicity of use. Every piece of content on the web site is controlled through the administration panel, which only the admins have access to, obviously. And that really means everything - from menus to static/dinamic pages!It might seems a bit confusing in the beginning, so I advise you to practice on your own computer (by using XAMMP). Also, do some searching and I'm sure you will find numerous Joomla! tutorials, since this CMS is wide-spread.

Not Found
The requested URL /administrator was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.36 Server at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Port 80

I have even downlaoded Joomla for it as well,yet this page still comes up when I use : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

When you created the Joomla on your web space, it asked you about the folder/directory which you wanted to use for its implementation. Instead of trying to connect to the Admin panel using : "http : // mafamba .astahost. com / administrator", try using the name of the folder you named on install, like this:"http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
joomla; ; where joomla represents the name of the folder and needs to be replaced by the actual name you specified. If this works correctly, you should then be into the Joomla CMS and it requires that you "log-in" as the Admin from inside the CMS. Loging in as the Admin will present the Admin Control Panel for Joomla, which is very different from your Cpanel for the site account.And there are some pretty good tutorials over at the Joomla site. Look at their Support Forum and Documentation. If you can't find them, post here and I should be able to locate one for you.Got it?

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

That should be the root folder, but it obviosly isn't there. You could try connecting through FTP to your site and checking the folder structure.

Just if it helps, this comes up when I install it, and all the other stuff below it: Install Joomla (3/3)1) File: /home/mafamba/public_html/joomla/configuration.php [ERROR! ]2) File: /home/mafamba/public_html/joomla/data.sql [ERROR! ]