xisto Community
rapco

Listening To Music Over A Home Network play the same music in two pcs at a time, or in the living room

Replying to FeedbackerI'm also looking for this solution, to synchronize music on two machines or more. Most people are answering with sharing files, which is totally different.For example. You have party and want to stream music to all the rooms that have a computer, but you want the music to be synchronized and controlled from one machine in case you want to change your playlist on the fly. I think the software solution would be to live stream, possibly with Shoutcast, but getting it synchronized would be tricky. The hardware solution might be something like the apple i-tunes thing (not sure what it is called).If anyone know of other solutions please provide some help.-Henry

The vast majority of the people that have replyed to the original post are really DUMB and STUPID.

READ WHAT HE IS ASKING FOR!  He wants to SYNCHRONIZE the music stream so the music can be played on ALL the pcs at the SAME TIME!

Is this such a really difficult concept to grasp?  It really must be.Why are people posting answers back about simple network folder sharing??  For goodness sake!

RAPCO: In short, I think the simple answer to your question is that there is no cheap or easy solution.

-reply by John Henery

Smae thing over and over...Listening To Music Over A Home Network

The song remains the same.  Everyone replies with the simple and well-known use of Sharing Folders, which is not the solution here.  We want to basically play the same music file simultaneously on two or more PCs.  Not just the same files from the same folder, but at the same time, as if both machines were using only one machine's player.

Clearer now?

-reply by Guest

not possibleListening To Music Over A Home Network

Synchronizing music on multiple machines is not possible, simply due to the fact that each machine handles their own buffering and you can never control latency.

If you absolutely MUST synchonize the music you will have to use some kind of audio cable, which links either to the speakers directly or the mic port of your machines, and output that stream.

If you already have a wired connection, this shouldn't be a problem, but sending an audio stream wireless will always cause a delay.

Hope this helped somewhat,

Yours truly, Nick

-reply by Ziao

No problem all you need is a VortexBox media server (free open source) and a SqueezePlaymedia player (free) you can sync up as many PCs as you want.

I don't know how much quality you're looking for, but having faced the same problem, I gave up on network streaming in the end and bought a local Part 15 radio transmitter that hooks into my computer and broadcasts to an unused local radio frequency. I just direct the music player on my computer to the appropriate sound output channel on the computer, and then I just use my stereo or radios to listen to the music room to room around the house. The quality could probably be better, but it is all synchronized. Sometimes old technology just works better for certain things :>)

-reply by Phillfri

Come ON! This shouldnListening To Music Over A Home Network

WOW! What poor suggestions. Apparently, no one READS THE QUESTION!The objective is to take control of a remote computer and play music on the REMOTE PC and NOT the host PC. In other words, the music must NOT stream to the controlling computer like you would get if you used something like Microsoft's Remote Desktop. The OBJECTIVE is to play the music on the REMOTE PC as if someone were sitting in front of it.I too want to do something like this but all the stupid coders and script kiddies can't seem to even fathom WHY someone would want to do this. The answer should be a huge DUH! We want a remote controlled juke box! (Yes, this is very frustrating to get someone to even UNDERSTAND the problem!)All I want is to access something like a juke box (which would really be a PC) and then select the music ON the juke box to play FROM the juke box - NOT THE CONTROLLING PC! And finally, it would seem to be possible to even shut down the controlling PC and allow the juke box to continue playing either in a loop or until it has finished playing the last song on it's play list.Get it now?! Any more bull-stuff suggestions like streaming or sharing libraries or other complicated suggestions which DON'T APPLY TO THE PROBLEM?And yes, I do know about the Apple Airport Express router/print server. But what I don't understand is why there isn't software for a PC to do the SAME THING!

-reply by iDiot

SolutionsListening To Music Over A Home Network

• Pulseaudio on Linux

• Airfoil & Airfoil Speakers on PC, MAC, Linux

• Set-up a stream in VLC on host pc and set the host PCs stereo-output as the input for the stream. Open said stream using VLC on the client PC.

-reply by rossatron

I think your question can be answered by a simple free software called "share speaker".  I have been using this software for quite some time! I have one desktop with 5.1 speaker system on it. Plus I have 3 laptops. I have share speaker software on all of them. With the software, I can play music from anyone of the laptop, on the speaker system on the desktop. It does take up a lot of network memory, so that the music keeps playing. Hope thats what you were looking at!

-reply by Apoorv Goyal

play and control music from remote computerListening To Music Over A Home Network

Replying to iGuestIt has been a while since I used x10 products for music. Search the X10 site. I believe they have what you are looking for.

-reply by tyronne

Listening to music over a home networkListening To Music Over A Home NetworkReplying to rapcoVery easy. Map the location of the music files on the computer storing them, then use itunes to import those songs. You can map the drive in my computer, all you need to know is the ip address of the computer storing the music, and to make the location containing the files shared, which you can do by opening the properties of the folder.-reply by Jonsey

Wrong, iDiotListening To Music Over A Home Network

No, the question was about how to create something like Sonos using freely available software. The answer, as mentioned above includes setups like iTunes+Airtunes, pulseaudio, slimserver, VLC, etc. The problem is usually with multi-client audio sync, which is why Airfoil+Airfoil speakers is the best solution (after Sonos itself) for those not interested in messing around w/pulseaudio or VLC multicast. Depending upon the solution you choose, the player/library may or may not be a separate component.

Really, the library and remote control part of this is the easiest and most generic element. You could use iTunes Remote if using iTunes, or VNC (or SSH)  w/anything else to name two options off the top of my head; you also could use a web-based script driven system, it's not important. (But if you want a prebuilt web-based network jukebox, try  SlimServer. You don't need a Squeezebox to use it.)

-reply by noidiot

hey all!

just a quick queries regarding home networking using sonos for music streaming. 

I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas or suggestions for recording music onto a external drive whilst streaming over a home network from the internet using sonos.

I will have a system line network with various components tied into the patch panel.

any suggestions welcome.

cheers

Tfun

TightVNCListening To Music Over A Home Network

TightVNC will let you transfer music files, or any shared file from on network computer to the next.

-reply by Ed Nichols