xisto Community
rapco

Listening To Music Over A Home Network play the same music in two pcs at a time, or in the living room

Hi!!!

well, my brother brought to my atention this product:

Sonos: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It allows to control music in different zone of a home network.

But i oposed to it because of it's price. so i'm trying to search for altenative solutions to this problem: ÂżHow can i listen to the same music in diferent pc stations at a same time? and the other problem: ÂżHow to stream music within my wireless network? (to listen to the music i play on my pc in my boombox per say)

Can anyone come out with a good idea?

PS: i forgot to say that the other solution i have com to is "music bridge" http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ from linksys

Edited by rapco (see edit history)

Would'nt the MSN button "the music I am listening" answer your question ? I did not use it personnally, but, if I understand correctly, it makes you listen in your loudspeakers the music the remote guy is listening on his own PC.

Would'nt the MSN button "the music I am listening" answer your question ? I did not use it personnally, but, if I understand correctly, it makes you listen in your loudspeakers the music the remote guy is listening on his own PC.

Hmmm I believe he needs more control than just this. He's willing (my assumption) to listen to various MP3 located on his brother's computer, from his own computer. I have the exact same wish (I don't want to waste both HD's disk space with the same music, what means quite a lot here). So I might try out these programs and search over the Internet for possibly better solutions.

Listen to same music in different PCs, just seems like you need to create a stream of the music over your network. I would suggest using something like icecast to serve streams from your computer. However the ability to send the stream to devices that aren't on your network is not likely unless you had say a transmitter that the boombox could receive signals from.

Cheers,

MC

Ok, i know how to listen to files over my network, no sweat there... i just go to to teh network folder and browse the other pc's mp3 files..

Why i'm trying to do is:

1. "simultaniously" play music in boths pcs
2. Stream to devices like boombox or so

Sonos 8please check the link) does all of that and much more... the only alternative i've found till now is:

Dlink Wireless Music Player DSM-120
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

if you use iTunes there is a very easy way to share music files. Changing the options in iTunes allows you to 'share' your music files. You select the 'groups' or 'playlists' you want to share. The remote user opens their copy of iTunes and goes to the shared playlists and finds the music they want.Usefull if you want to listen to music from another computer. Though, there are a few downsides.1. can use a fair bit of bandwidth (it works on a 54Mbps Wireless Link, though it had to rebuffer a few times)2. both computers have to be running iTunes and iTunes must be open to share the files.And the best part, its free! also, if you do try, dont forget to open the required ports (i cant remember which ones, but if it doesn't work, you should be able to find out) Good Luck

"Usefull if you want to listen to music from another computer. Though, there are a few downsides.1. can use a fair bit of bandwidth (it works on a 54Mbps Wireless Link, though it had to rebuffer a few times)2. both computers have to be running iTunes and iTunes must be open to share the files."What a total load of crap Itunes must be then!!!!!!Wel I always knew that anyways without ever having the install the Apple garbage :PERm the solution is soo easy its painfull for me write it...If you use Windows media player (WTF u doing btw?) then you can just browse to the folder with the mp3s in from the network and drop them into a playlist..Same actions with winamp..but in there you could also drag the folders into your media collection and it will play and treat the files just like it would if it was on your own HD..No Need for Itunes...no need for Icecast or Shoutcast.....

Why do you need software to do this? You already have the network, all you have to do is share the folder the MP3's are stored in. That's what I do. Sometimes when I forget to charge my ipod nad I really want to listen to music in bed, I'll just hook my laptop on, open up my shared folder on my main computer (which is always on) and listen away.That's what I do and it works perfectly. I don't know how many users would be streaming music, but for just a few on your network, this will work just fine.[N]F

You could set up a shared folder on one of the computers and let other users dip striaght into it. Or you could install ShoutCast onto one of the boxes and stream it over your network and just listen onto it when you wnat to listen. ShoutCast even has remote playlist editing.

As been said, this doesn't require any special software, just your brother on his computer needs to share the music with you and you just can listen directly it from his computer.. thats what I do, my brother shares everything for me and I directly watch movies, listen to music from his hard drives and there are no problems, especially if both computers are running Windows, they have Samba by default, but as I am running Windows XP and Linux mostly, I have some issues.. my brothers computer is always running Linux, so he needs to install and turn on Samba service on his system that I could listen to music from his computer, but this is just because I could not make NFS work on my computer, when running Linux, this is even more simple and less resources hungry, because both computers on the Lan are just using NFS and can mount whatever you want in the fstab :)The only issue, is to configure everything if there is more computers on the Lan and you don't want to share the stuff with them, this requires some more knowledge and not only several mouse clicks :)

Everything said is OK, but what if You want Synchronised play of some music on two or more computers? I think that there must be some streaming made.-Bojan

If you run both pc's with windows, you can set up windows media player to watch network folders and use the other pcs music that way. Just have to turn on file sharing, and configure your firewall (if you have one). Its easy, and its free.

Most of you guys are not actually answering the question the guy asked, you are all telling him how to access mp3's etc stored in a different location on a network.He would like two or more computers to play the same music at the same time, a problem I am also trying to find a solution to.-reply by Ross Barber