xisto Community
dhanesh1405241511

[help] Networking Pc & Laptop

Just bought a new Laptop and would like to configure it to connect to my PC for File Sharing and Internet.

My PC Details are as follows :

Connects to the Internet via a ADSL USB Modem. Cellpipe 20A USB modem. PC has 1 Dlink Network Card (Internal).

My Laptop Details:

Its a Compaq Presario V5233EA with a built in network card and wifi.

I am completely new to the networking scene so please tell me what extra information you need. I have a Cross over cable and i have connected both the computers and it connects. Just that the first time it showed me that it was unable to get the IP Address for the computers and told me to repair it. But it failed the repair too.

It would be helpful if someone wrote a graphical with text based tutorial or just guided me to one.

Again .. its not Hi-Fi networking, just my Laptop connected to my PC which is connected to ADSL. Need File Sharing to share huge ISO's and Internet sharing, so i can browse all those dirty websites m^e gave me .. :)

Regards

Dhanesh.

OK, so, what I understand is :a ) Your PC is connected to the Internet and has a not-used, available Ethernet connector.b ) Your laptop has an Ethernet adapater, not used yet.So, you must buy a crossed Ethernet cable, I bought mine about $5.00 last time in a shop. And I bought a second one for $12.00 in another shop, both it works the same way.Now comes the procedure.First of all you have to configure both of your Ethernet adapters. The default settings is "use a DHCP server" and you have no DHCP server, so you will have to configure the second way, which is "assign a fixed IP address".1) On your PC, click on Startup, Network, you will see your adapter, right-click and "properties", you will enter the IP address menu. Give a fixed address, and remember it, I suggest 192.168.1.1 and a netmask 255.255.255.02) On the laptop, enter the same Ethernet configuraiton menu, give a fixed address 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, and 192.168.1.1 as gateway. Give the nameserver your Internet provider gave you.Then, connect the Internet cable between both computers. Then, the physical link is connected.To verify that the Ethernet link works correctly,- On the PC, open a Command Window (Start, Run, "cmd") and type "ping 192.168.1.2the ping should be successful. If not, the cable is not correctly plugged or one of the 1) and 2) steps is false.Then, on the PC, open Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder you want to share, and choose "share", that's all. For sharing the Internet connection, there are two ways : Microsoft Way and my way.For the Microsoft Way, open the Microsoft help of your PC and look for "sharing Internet Connection". My way is different : I suggest you to install a proxy on your PC. The best one is Wingate, unfortunately it's a commercial one.I also use a free proxy named privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/ ) simply you will have to read the documentation in order to put it listening on 192.168.1.1:8080 instead of localhost:80 and to ask him to cascade your PC main proxy.Then, on your laptop, open Microsoft internet explorer, and tell him in the proxy settings that the proxy is 192.168.1.1:8080Hope this helps, if you need more details simply ask.RegardsYordan

1) On your PC, click on Startup, Network, you will see your adapter, right-click and "properties", you will enter the IP address menu. Give a fixed address, and remember it, I suggest 192.168.1.1 and a netmask 255.255.255.0

2) On the laptop, enter the same Ethernet configuraiton menu, give a fixed address 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, and 192.168.1.1 as gateway. Give the nameserver your Internet provider gave you.

Then, connect the Internet cable between both computers. Then, the physical link is connected.

To verify that the Ethernet link works correctly,

- On the PC, open a Command Window (Start, Run, "cmd") and type "ping 192.168.1.2

the ping should be successful. If not, the cable is not correctly plugged or one of the 1) and 2) steps is false.

Then, on the PC, open Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder you want to share, and choose "share", that's all.

For sharing the Internet connection, there are two ways : Microsoft Way and my way.

For the Microsoft Way, open the Microsoft help of your PC and look for "sharing Internet Connection".

My way is different : I suggest you to install a proxy on your PC.

The best one is Wingate, unfortunately it's a commercial one.

I also use a free proxy named privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/ ) simply you will have to read the documentation in order to put it listening on 192.168.1.1:8080 instead of localhost:80 and to ask him to cascade your PC main proxy.

Then, on your laptop, open Microsoft internet explorer, and tell him in the proxy settings that the proxy is 192.168.1.1:8080

"On your PC, click on Startup, Network, you will see your adapter, right-click and "properties", you will enter the IP address menu."

I right clicked the network card and went into properties. Then double clicked TCP/IP went itno advanced setings and set them as follows :

IP:192.168.0.1

subnet: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.0.2

On the laptop did the same and these are the values:

IP:192.168.0.2

subnet: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.0.1

I pinged from laptop to PC and from PC to laptop .. both sides are Successful ! :)

Now what ? ..i typed in "\\192.168.0.2\c$" it shows me a non changable value of LAPPY\Guest and a password field .. what password should i type ? i put in the admin pasword .. it doesnt work .. and on both the Laptop and desktop i dont have logon passwords.

Regards

Dhanesh.

P.S .. as for the internet sharing .. i didnt do any configuration ... just opened IE (need to d'load FF) and just hit yahoo.com and it connected. duno how lol ..

Posted Image

This is what i get when i type in "\\192.168.0.2\c$" on my desktop .. i have no logon password and only 1 password that i entered when i was prompted to give while installation of Windows.Same goes with the Laptop too.

How do i make all my drives on my desktop visible on my laptop ? I mapped the C: on the laptop and when i open it i see all the usual files lile Program Files, Windows etc .. but if i try to open an individual folder say Program Files .. then i get an error saying access denied.

Regards

Dhanesh.

why are you trying to connect to the default admin share?Tip..if you need to share out the drive like that...make a NEW share;)Rememeber to give yourself FULL ACCESS to that share.If your connected and you get the login screen to the share..my guess the settings are all ok...Like Yordan discussed above..the next step would be to get a proxy running if the laptop needs to get on the internet at the same time as the desktop.I suggest using Proxy + its one of the best "free" ones out there.Good Luck

why are you trying to connect to the default admin share?
Tip..if you need to share out the drive like that...make a NEW share;)
Rememeber to give yourself FULL ACCESS to that share.

How do u make a NEW share ? the default share is right click and enable share .. rite ? I dont see anywhere were a password is asked and i could put in one.

How do i share my C / D / E / F on my Desktop to show and browse on my Laptop. I know how to map a drive thats fine .. but ... hope you get what i mean. I need FULL ACCESS.

Ohh and for the internet connection, its done. I dont know how .. but after the connection was successful and i could ping the Computers from either one. All i had to do was open the browser and type in a web address. :)

Regards
Dhanesh.

I wont use winblows XP so I dont know hows it handled in that..but Im pretty sure its the same way that Win2k does it..Goto explorer and RIGHT click on a drive..Choose SHARING.A new window pops up and you have a big button with NEW SHARE written on it..Click it and add the name you want..I.E. my M: drive is my music drive..so in Win2k I shared it as MUSIC. E:is my apps so its called APPS.By default on Win2k the share is FULL CONTROL to ALL users I hope it does the same in XP ..if not then look at the permissions tab and enter the values that you want.Remeber also that it will ask for the Windows logon name used on the desktop to connect via the laptop.If you dont have a password on your account or tell windows to assume that your logged in it will still prompt for it OK then goto the laptop and do what you did before-RUN> \\192.168.0.2\Now you should see the shares..A good thing to do is also find the desktop from the laptop using the windows network icon and then choose the desktop and you should see the shares there too...RIGHT click on one then choose MAP NETWORK DRIVE from the list...then you get the option to reconnect on logon etc etc.This makes it a drive letter on the laptop thats always there..really handy for installing software and stuff from the desktop because a CD shared out will act just like a CD in the drive of the laptop..also works great for virtual drives..Good luck!

I did exactly the same way you mentioned. The only thing is i didnt check the same for other drives. I am currently experimenting the Recovery CD so check out ALL the options and what they do before i start using the laptop and add any important data into it.Just a question off my mind tho. Is it possible for windows to deny access to Program Files and Windows folder .. while sharing ? and open access to the rest of the folders present in C: ? I duno just a security feature maybe. But if they have an option to allow users to edit files then denying access does not make sense.RegardsDhanesh.

Now your opening a new kettle of fish :)Looks like your going to have to setup some USERS and assign passwords and groups to them.Goto the Control Panel then choose USERS & Passwords then I would make a new account for yourself that belongs to the group ADMIN that is seperate from the MAIN admin-the account made when windows was first installed.Then make an account called PORTABLE this is the acocunt you will use on the laptop.Here you can make the account a restricted user so that this account cant install stuff.Now goto explorer and find the folders that you want to deny access to the PORTABLE account-RIGHT click on them goto PROPERTIES and look at the SECURITY tab.Look at the bottom of the window and you should see a check box saying "inherit permissions from parent folder" uncheck this! this is whats going to make it work for you :)Remove the first entry for EVERYONE then click the ADD button and ADD your new admin account and give tick every box in the permissions tab.Then click ADD again and then ADD the PORTABLE account but do not give it full access..heres where you can choose what control to put on the account..Do this for all your crucial folders you want protecting on all of the shares and the desktop should be locked down a bit more than before..Good Luck

I also have problem with system folders like "program files".Simply, on your PC, create a folder named "things".Then, in the Windows Explorer, right click on the folder named things and choose "sharing", choose a name for the sharing, I suggest "things".Then, from the laptop, you will see the share named "thing".Tell us if you need further help.By the way, I'm proud that Internet worked directly, hope this was not pure luck.

Thanks for the step-by-step walkthrough on the security part. Will test this out and play with it once i am done installing a working system the way i like it :) .. Will let you know of my findings when i am done .. Thanks and RegardsDhanesh.