xisto Community
hancioglu

Expansion Of The Universe

Expansion of the Universe
The existence of the universe is perhaps one of the greatest mysteries in science and philosophy. No convincing argument has been ever put forward that has enabled us to understand this amazing event, not since the beginning of modern science. Religions like Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, on the other hand, explain that the Creator built our robust universe directly out of physical nothingness, independent of any cause. Therefore, the initial creation of such universe would be impossible to explain physically (M. F. GĂźlen, from his conference on âEvolution and realityâ).

In his translation of the relevant verse, S. Yildirim has noted that God keeps the universe expanding and He will continue to do so. Yildirim attributes two meanings to the word musiun in the verse; the first is the owner of great power, strength and wealth; the second is one who expands. Thus, it should not be a surprise to learn that this verse is indeed describing a continually-expanding universe. This might further lead Muslims to think that the Creator has not left the universe unattended after the Big Bang, but rather it is He who has kept creating and expanding it.

In the 1920âs a discovery was made that completely changed our perception of space. It was discovered that distant stars depart from the solar system and leave us even more and more alone in dark space. Then, Fr. Georges-Henri LemaĂŽtre, a Belgian astrophysicist, mathematician, and Catholic priest, proposed the idea of the expanding universe. Despite its finite size, it was believed that the universe was expanding.

We can explain this fact simply by an analogy. Think of a toy balloon with spots on it. Mark one of those spots and inflate the balloon. As we inflate it, we observe that all other spots on the surface of the balloon move away from the marked one. So, if we replace the balloon with our universe, the spots will be the stars and planets. If the universe is expanding indeed, then we expect them to be moving away from each other. In other words, the distances between heavenly bodies must be increasing.

Unfortunately, we donât have a gigantic ruler to measure such immense distances. However, there are other means, such as measuring wave frequencies. Consider the following analogy: Someone throws one ball every second toward a target. Assume that balls travel with constant velocity. If the thrower is stationary, the target will receive one ball every second. However, if the thrower is moving towards the target, it will receive balls more frequently because the balls will be less spaced out. The converse is true if the thrower is moving away from the target. So it is actually the wavelength which is affected; as a consequence, the perceived frequency is also affected. That is, the distances between the waves emitted by objects moving away from us (wavelength) must be increasing, so the frequency decreasing. Likewise, think of an ambulance siren coming towards you and going away from you. It is a good example showing that while an acoustic source that is approaching us emits a higher frequency, the same source radiates lower frequency when going away from us. In physics this is known as the Doppler effect.

For the whole http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Notice from jeigh:
Please add your own content (opinions for example) when ripping content from other sources. Also in the future make sure to add the quote tags around the block of quoted material

Yes, your own opinion is the most important thing here.IMHO, the expansion of the universe is a very interesting point, because it explains a lot of astronomical really observed facts. And one reasonable way is to accept the expansion theory as long as an experimental maysurement does not contradict is.You know, my father asked me once : "Do you thing that the world is like you see it, or do you simpli imagine it being so ?"My answer was : I don't care. As long as I can act on the universe exactly as if my explanation was correct, I am happy with my explanation. I have lamp when I press the switch, exactly as if Electricity went into my lamp exactly as predicted by electricity theory. If this theory allows to manufacture lamps with a chosen brightness in order to make my room more clear or less, I feel happy with this theory.Once Einsteine came and said the previous theories were somehow limited, he brought his one which is slightly better. Then Quantum Mechanics refined somehow, saying you cannot predict exactly speed and position at the same time but in real life the acuracy for each one is reasonably correct, so for most of the situations we experiment the explanation is sufficient.So, the expansion of the universe works rather fine, particularly for explainit the red shift of very far objects, and I'm happy with this. Next time the next theory will arrive, we will examine it and see if we feel happy with it.

Yes the universe is expanding, at a fairly rapid rate too.They recently found out that one of the numbers in Hubble's Theory was off and the universe is expanding faster than we originally thought and that it has expanded more than we thought, how they know this I don't know.But what is going to happen when the universe can't expand anymore?There are several theories some such are:Big Tear (or Rip) - The universe rips apart pulling everything into an empty voidBig Freeze - The universe freezes because it has expanded so far that there is not enough lightBig Crunch - The universe implodes upon itselfThere is always the question "What is the universe expanding into?"If anybody has ever read Cosm you will know that the universe is (sort of) expanding into another universe.There is also the widely believed fact that the universe is in an empty void filled with countless other universes.There are many theories but than we have to ask ourselves "How did all this start?" Creation gods come into the equation here.

At this point of time thinking outside the universe would be a real wild guess. Scientific time started at Big bang and anything before that is a total unknown entity. If we could solve the mystery of Big Bang then only we could see how the big started and what is that the universe is expanding in to. There is possibility of multiple universes. That would also depend on whether Big bang was an accident or controlled phenomenon. It’s vast and interesting. Good topic to discuss.Thanks

So, the expansion of the universe works rather fine, particularly for explainit the red shift of very far objects, and I'm happy with this. Next time the next theory will arrive, we will examine it and see if we feel happy with it.

If we could solve the mystery of Big Bang then only we could see how the big started and what is that the universe is expanding in to. There is possibility of multiple universes. That would also depend on whether Big bang was an accident or controlled phenomenon. Itâs vast and interesting. Good topic to discuss.
Thanks

I think this is because of our concept of reality being perceived in 3 dimensions by us. But some other theories would explain the expansion of universe as a deformation/diplexion of dimensions to other stages, as it were a primigenial stage that we can't empirically determine, but it fits the theory when it's modelled by formulae.

What of String Theory? ok there isn't any mean to empirical prove such theory, but it's been shown as a strong physic theory to come into play. This theory of multidimensional stages of reality as we zoom-in/out our universe, appeals to my reasoning.
Edited by DrK3055A (see edit history)

I think this is because of our concept of reality being perceived in 3 dimensions by us. But some other theories would explain the expansion of universe as a deformation/diplexion of dimensions to other stages, as it were a primigenial stage that we can't empirically determine, but it fits the theory when it's modelled by formulae.
What of String Theory? ok there isn't any mean to empirical prove such theory, but it's been shown as a strong physic theory to come into play. This theory of multidimensional stages of reality as we zoom-in/out our universe, appeals to my reasoning.

I think the ideas and quest to see in an unconventional way helps in deriving new theories and new knowledge come from these theories. We know one more dimension thats "time". But we are still not able to use it in an efficenint way. Remember time machine was based on the concept that time is a dimension and we could travrl in it as other 3 dimensions. One big theory like Einstines reativity theory would make a big impact. all we can do is wait and watch .

I think the ideas and quest to see in an unconventional way helps in deriving new theories and new knowledge come from these theories. We know one more dimension thats "time". But we are still not able to use it in an efficenint way. Remember time machine was based on the concept that time is a dimension and we could travrl in it as other 3 dimensions. One big theory like Einstines reativity theory would make a big impact. all we can do is wait and watch .

But is 'time' really the fourth dimension? There is a big debate concerning the fourth dimension...is it time or is it a spacial dimension? A 3d object can be represented in a 2d world by drawing two squares and connecting them. Theoretically speaking, we can represent a 4d object by modeling two cubes and connecting them in a similar matter. Thus, the hypercube. Unfortunately you are seeing a 2d representation, but if you can picture that wire framed object in front of you, you would be able to see a 3d representation of 4d object. Therefore, the fourth dimension could quite possibly exist, and it could NOT be time.

Back to the topic, I think the most interesting theory of space is that our universe is simply a very large black hole in another universe. That universe could consist of many black holes, all approximately the same size as our universe. That universe could also just be a black hole in another universe, and this could go on forever. That would explain what our universe is expanding into - more space in a different universe much much larger than ours.

I cannot even guess what the universe is expanding into, but we know the universe is expanding by observing the red shift in stars and galaxys millions of light years away. I believe in the big bang theory as the way the universe was created; however, I believe that the big bang resulted from the crunch of a previous univers. When the mass of all the stars, planets, black holes, etc.. eventually overcame the kinetic force that was driving them away from each other, they began attracting each other and eventually they all collided creating phenominal energy (just think of Einstiens equation energy = mass * speed of light squared, with all the mass in our universe 8|). The energy then created the big band and started the sequence again. After things started to cool down, closer particles dust and rocks would collect creating stars and planets as we know them today. I believe that the universe will expand until gravity overtakes it again and it collapses on itself creating yet another big bang. Its just God's way of renewing the universe every now and then :P. Well, thats my view on it, hope I enlightened somebody.

Yes, t3jem, you correctly expressed what I was also thinking.I think there are only three possibilities :The Universe may only be :. static. expanding. shrinking There is no evidence for the universe to be static, seems that all distances are increasing. If it were shrinking, of course at one moment all the materials in the universe would finally be in a single point, and the collision of all these giant objects would give a huge amount of energy similar to the big bang some theories imagined. And when the energy of the initial big bang will be exhausted, gravitationnal forces will impulse a universe shrinking, finally leading to another big bang. Infortunately, even if I am right, I will for myself not last enough to verify my theory, I will probably not be able to see several occurencies of the big bang.

Read about the Holographic model of universe... it may do some good on throwing light on the topic. Universe may be nothing but a set of mathematical equation governing space-time. So if those set of equations which were defined initially, govern that universe is infinite, then I guess we can expand infinitely.In any case, we got other things to worry about, like the time when sun starts approaching its age. At that time we will need to migrate to a new solar system.Probably some day we might be migrating across universes (if any).

But even if we mention the possibility of a god or some form creating the universe and everything, your still left with "who the hell created this god or form or w/e"...... so using that would be quite infinite.But, how do they mean that our universe is expanding, who says it's not already huge beyond what we know and things are just floating out further, that's not really expanding now is it?I had more to say but I forgot, it's getting late here lol.Hope the discussion on this keeps up, I find it very interesting although I have no technical knowledge of the subject.

But, how do they mean that our universe is expanding, who says it's not already huge beyond what we know and things are just floating out further, that's not really expanding now is it?

The astronmes can measure the speed of the galaxy. And they see that they are not simply floating or moving all toward the same direction, all of them are moving far off a center, that's why they say our univerese is expanding, and not having pariticles randomly moving. You know, random moving in gases or liquids are known behaviour, and the stars and galaxies have a different behaviour.

It actually very interesting when you think that the univers is endless and you can travel in it for ever and ever, and if it isn't endless thats interesting too when you think "Whats at the end" i wonder if we'll ever find out.

I guess that depends on how far the end is lol, I doubt it'll be anything like what happens in a video game *bang, darn invisible wall* :P.

Love how you put that. I'm intersted in how the universe would end too, but i would be very surprised if I ever found out. Is interesting though, maybe there is no end to the univers, but just an end to where there is matter and the matter is expanding into the vast empty limitless space until gravity pulls everything back into a singularity (refer to my previous post). Very interesting topic.