xisto Community
humphrey88

Youth-oriented Template

HiI would like to create a youth-oriented website. The theme colors I have chosen is lime green and black. However, I am bad at design the layout. Therefore, I would like to seek your comments regarding the layout.Is it possible if you can list down some examples of websites with similar themes so that I can take reference?My target audience is from 10-16 years old.Thank you for your help.

How old are you ? How old are the people surfing around you ? What about simply see which sites young people around you are surfing on, and donwload free templates having a similar look and feel ?

I'm a youth, and i wouldn't want lime green and black particularly, although it depends on how it's doen. A guy i know on the web used GuppY CMS with lime green foregronund and black bg around the areas where the content was. I think the text was blue. It hurt my eyes to check the site for updates, so i finally got him to change it. Now it's orange, which is a little better. He likes bright colors i guess :D

I don't think that lime green and black are particularly suitable colors if you want people to stay on your site for too long. That usually hurts the eyes. Choose nice pastel-ish colors would be the best I think. Keeping the font black, dark blue, dark green is always good. With the background a lighter color of the font looks nice particularly. It would also depend on the content of your site. :D

I agree that these two colours aren't good for this age group (which I am a part of). You should think of using brighter colours, but not to much variety - even if it's a "cheerful" web site, try limiting yourself to two or three colours. Let's say a white background (or a light grey), black text (or a darker shade of gray) and some mild colours in addition to these two "main" colours.

I agree with what's been stated mostly. Black/green can look good but often doesn't I'd suggest making a mockup of your site and then testing out various color combos and think about which you enjoy the most. Not which necessarily fits your original vision the best or which you think looks "coolest" but which lends itself well to being a comfortable, relaxing web visit.

i think the colors in mind are not all that great either.. if your looking to target a young group as the one you stated you will need a multi color site.. something that will get the attention you want from them.. i say if you are looking for ideas on sites try some sites like nick.com also try like disney site. and look how clean and bright these sites look and look at how the colors attract

Besides of age group, it'd be important to know a bit more of the target group. Mostly, from where around the world are you expecting visitors? What language will the content be?

Just like what the previous posters already said, black bg and green bg will not be apealing to a person of any age. I find it that this color scheme feels like the 80's computers when GUI OS didn't exist. Unless it's a site that deals with a subject similar to that of the Matrix series.

But in general, a good way to find out the color scheme is to look at the sites that the youth go to. Personally I wouldn't choose a color scheme that would look as if it was an ordinary colorful blog page that is most commonly used. I'd say to pick a color that isn't too irritating and boring and keep the color variety to less than 5. You can also do different shades of the same color.

What I prefer using for my designs are neutral color such as black gray or white for background and a bit of color to contrast it and add a little flavor to it. I don't put too much because it gets very busy.

An example of my design is this: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/