xisto Community
zeez

Detecting Wirless Networks

i dont know if this is approved to be here, so i'll post it and will see what you guys think of it...i'm going to explain in this tutorial how to access wireless networks even though they might have a WEP code on them.i have not realized before that it could be that easy of a task, but i have found three programs till now that can do the job right.the first program is calle Airsnort. this program is like a tool that cracks WEP encryption codes or keys. what it does is it monitors the transmissions and then calculates the encryption key when it has gathered enough packets. for those who dont know what WEP means, WEP stands for Wired Equivalent Privacy. this is the encryption algorithm built into the 802.11 (Wi-Fi).the second program is a package called bsd-airtools, it currently contains a bsd-based (WEP) cracking application. It also contains a curses based ap detection application that can be used to detect wireless access points and connected nodes, view signal to noise graphs, and interactively scroll through scanned ap's and view statistics for each. it's probably harder to use than Airsnort since it has multiple applications.the third one is my favorite, it's called wepattack and it's a WLAN open source Linux tool for breaking 802.11 Wired Equivalent Privacy keys. This tool is based on an active dictionary attack that tests millions of words to find the right key. Only one packet is required to start an attack on WEP.download them and try..hope this tutorial was useful.

The Airsnort osunds the best one out of the rest. A dictionary attack takes a long time and doesnt allways give good results. I have heard of many people who recomend AirSnort.Not really much of a tutorial if you dont mine me saying

In some countrys it's illegal to break the WEP encryption, doesn't matter what way you use. But yeah, these are some really handy ways to get WEP keys from your neighbours.But still, what'd you want to do with them? >_<. I think hacking unprotected networks is kinda pathetic.

Does this work with WI-Fi nettworks too?

WI-Fi and "Wireless Networks" are two different ways for saying the same thing : a network without cables, with a very precise protocol, which is embedded in most of recent laptops for example.If your main home router has no WEP encryption your network is exposed to anybody having no knowledge.
The present topic explains that even if your network is WEP-protected, you may experience intrusions.
Regards
Yordan

Doesn't windows come with this????

:o:P :P :rolleyes:B):):P
Windoze doesn't protect you, let alone get pass other people's protection. Wifi is network connections.

When I added wireless on my dads computer, we found one open, ours and one locked (Bt home hub is really common, most of the country got it free) but I havn't got a card to try this.

The place I'm living in have a lot of wireless network protected and they are always on. Just thought of trying out the program you've mention and see whether it will work. Anyway its illegal here in my country and seems that now I hardly find any wireless network without WEP encryption. Seems that people get abit more technical here. :rolleyes: Anyway nice post. Cheers

But still, what'd you want to do with them? >_<. I think hacking unprotected networks is kinda pathetic.

Not if you're surrounded by Wi-Fi networks, all waiting for you to jump in undetected (mostly).
Think of it as a sort of free hosting. :rolleyes:

If you have a linux or bsd box...just use Kismet for scanning for networks. It's alot easier and has built-in collection of initialization vector frames alongside scanning...so you can just run one application to do most of the hard work for you.I'd recommend using two machines; one to capture IV frames while another machine conducts a deauth attack to keep the IV frames flowing. This is a bit more obnoxious to the legitimate users of the access point, but it's the only way to break into a non-congested network in a reasonable amount of time. Aireplay can handle the deauth attack for you.Once you have a ton of IV frames, use aircrack to conduct various attacks.If you're on a recent Mac, get KisMAC. It features most of Kismet's features as well as the ability to conduct attacks from within kisMAC.

Edited by ethergeek (see edit history)

@ethergeek : take care, read the forum rules once more. I'm afraid you are at the outer edge of legal things with the things you write. If a mod happens to come around here, he would probably delete this post, at least.

I am planning to have setup a Bluetooth wireless network and build a application on that, but before that i want to know the drow backs of the bluetooth wireless network . So i need help from the guys who have alreday developed such network and developed some application on that.Some of the drow backs that i have collected are.-- security is the main concern, any one can hack such network by just knowing the MAC number of the Bluetooth device,-- limited range, although there 100 mt range bluetooth dongle in the market, the quality of the data sent is the consern as there will be more data loss in this network.--streeming over Bluetooth is a big issue. (Need help if any one has done this)-- Most of the bluetooth dongle avilable in indian market has got same MAC number, this is big consern in building network.these are the some issues with Bluetooth network.If you have already experiance in such network you can help me to provide some of the solution to these issues and you can add some more issues to this list, so that will be aware of all this before i put my hand in this.