xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

Read/Write Issues After Copying An Access .mdb File

Alright, I'm currently creating an interface program for a MS Access database. I've only used Access once in the past but used other DB's a handful of times so I didn't have any trouble getting the general program created. My issue arose when I tried to make it so that the users needing to use the program can just copy the .exe and the .mdb files and use it.The program doesn't require users to share the database but to store their OWN programs information in their OWN database, so basically each needs to have their own database with the exact same design. The original plan was to just get them to copy over a near empty .mdb with the design set up and have them slowly create their own dataset with it. However, upon copying these files between my computer and others it ends up allowing my interface program to retrieve data from the DB but not write any new entries to it. All security permission on the file itself are set to allow read/write to everyone so I'm not sure what's causing this. Is there any other security settings I should worry about? Everything I could find within access seemed to be set so that it could be used freely so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you give more detail regaing the program you're writing, such as is it written in VB, .Net, C++ ..... etc

What method you use to access the database? ADO, ADO.NET, ODBC

Does this problem also appear on the development machine?

For you case i would recommend using ODBC, since newer windows machine has ODBC built in, even though personally i prefer direct accessing the database. Using ODBC can help isolate problem like file access, and can even work over shared folder. One thing though, you'll need to setup DSN (one time) on all the pc where the software need to run

All the best

Alright, I'm currently creating an interface program for a MS Access database. I've only used Access once in the past but used other DB's a handful of times so I didn't have any trouble getting the general program created. My issue arose when I tried to make it so that the users needing to use the program can just copy the .exe and the .mdb files and use it.
The program doesn't require users to share the database but to store their OWN programs information in their OWN database, so basically each needs to have their own database with the exact same design. The original plan was to just get them to copy over a near empty .mdb with the design set up and have them slowly create their own dataset with it. However, upon copying these files between my computer and others it ends up allowing my interface program to retrieve data from the DB but not write any new entries to it. All security permission on the file itself are set to allow read/write to everyone so I'm not sure what's causing this. Is there any other security settings I should worry about? Everything I could find within access seemed to be set so that it could be used freely so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alright, I'm currently creating an interface program for a MS Access database. I've only used Access once in the past but used other DB's a handful of times so I didn't have any trouble getting the general program created. My issue arose when I tried to make it so that the users needing to use the program can just copy the .exe and the .mdb files and use it.
The program doesn't require users to share the database but to store their OWN programs information in their OWN database, so basically each needs to have their own database with the exact same design. The original plan was to just get them to copy over a near empty .mdb with the design set up and have them slowly create their own dataset with it. However, upon copying these files between my computer and others it ends up allowing my interface program to retrieve data from the DB but not write any new entries to it. All security permission on the file itself are set to allow read/write to everyone so I'm not sure what's causing this. Is there any other security settings I should worry about? Everything I could find within access seemed to be set so that it could be used freely so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem may be in versioning. Check DB engine's versions at user's machine.

backup of access database

Read/Write Issues After Copying An Access .mdb File

Hi! friends,

I m Manisha I m working on project using vb.Net and access, there is my big problem I tell you, I don't know the vb.Net but I just work on old project, my actual problem is that I want to create a backup file using vb.Net 2003 code,

Please give me the set of code that use to create a backup of access database,

My idea was that there is one command button for back up and I just click it and the back up of database created automaticaly using vb.Net code so please send me the set of code for this problem.

-reply by mansiha

If It's about backing up your *.mdb, I have the code to back up your database into *.rar format (Winrar)CommonDialog1.CancelError = TrueCommonDialog1.ShowSaveDim CopyString As String, path As Stringpath = Chr(34) & CommonDialog1.FileName & Chr(34)DestFile = Chr(34) & "D:\DATA\data.mdb" & Chr(34) 'The path of your dataCopyString = "c:\program files\winrar\winrar.exe a " + path + " " + DestFileDim RetValRetVal = Shell(CopyString, 1)

How is the code for a command button to backup access 2003 database??Read/Write Issues After Copying An Access .mdb File

I need to add a button to the main form so the user can click it to make a backup of the whole database to some folder.

please, could you help me?

Thanks

-reply by JuanKeywords: command button backup access 2003