xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jimmy89

Counter Strike: Source What do you think?

I was thinking about buying this game. I recently played it at an Internet Cafe, and throughly enjoyed it. After reading reviews of what people have thought of the game i was starting to have second thoughts. There were lots of people that didn't like the game and there was many bad reviews.I am now wondering what i should do, by it or not. I was hoping i could get some reviews and see what other people thought of it. Also, what is a good computer to run the game (graphics, memory, processor etc).Thanks

Hell yeah .. go on and buy it .. :D Nice game i must agree, infact i still play on CS 1.6 with my friends, but its no way close to compared to Source. The graphics are awsome and realistic. I think you would need a minimum config to run Source with server or just standalone. Source has updated its CS engine to Half Life. So well if you played half Life then you know what i mean :unsure:RegardsDhanesh.

Thanks for that! I thyink i will go out and buy it. I check the specs for the half life game and my computer should run it fine - so no problems with thatThanks heaps!

It is a truly awesome game.However if you don't have the graphics card to carry the weight then it can turn into crap really fast.It gets extremely agitating trying to play the game and you are lagging because your video card can't render textures fast enough.Also, frame rate ( fps ) is extremely vital if you want to do good. And make sure you have some kind of fast connection, not dial-up because it just won't cut it.If you want a less graphic demanding game but want the awesome game play get Counter-Strike:ConditionZeroIt has better graphics then CS1.6 but the same great gameplay that made the game so popular in the first place.I recommend Geforce 6 series or better, and whatever the ATI equivilant is or better otherwise CS:Source will lag even at low video settings. Also if your getting a new motherboard get a motherboard with PCI-Express, its better and faster then agpProcessor speed, well I recommend like a 2.0 ghz or faster Pentium 4/Celeron. If you have AMD then I recommend any AMD64 processor. And if you don't know which to get, Intel or AMD, go with AMD :unsure:At least 1 gig of ram

Edited by BitShift (see edit history)

Counter strike owns, hell yes! However I have heard a numerous amount of time counter strike: source isnt the best. I own counter strike 1.6 with steam, which is the best. Classic maps like de_dust, de_dust2, cs_assault, and de_aztec are always very entertaining. I like to hop on steam every once and a while to play. I got my cs 1.6 for like 20 bucks, and i thinks coutner strike source is like 50. So if I were you I would go for the CS 1.6. Just get the counter strike package, not the source. Once you installed counter strike and have the cdkey, go to http://ww4.steampowered.org/ and download steam. Then your good to go. Counter strike is the best..

-Kyle

Like most players of 1.6 that have upgraded to CSS source I have found the graphics great and some of the new maps and remakes of old maps are just great!!but like many other ppl I find that the gameplay is lacking somewhat compared to 1.6.Also even when it first came out and was at the hight of its popularity the best source servers were not full all the time like in 1.6I have found some great local servers (I live in holland) and met a lot of players there-its nice to have a game and hangout with them..It is a good game if youve not played 1.6 to death..if you have its only average imho.Mark420;)

I am thinking about buying it too, I have played it before at friends house and the game looks damn fine compared to what it used to look like in 1.6. I think the gameplay has improved a bit too. The main thing is go buy the HL2 Platinum edition cuz it comes with CSS DOD:S and HL2 and a few other thingies that i forget and its only 10-20$ more

Counter-Strike : Source is without a doubt the greatest online and FPS shooting game put together on the PC or on any console that I have played in my life. I myself prefer playing in the surf_deathmatch areas as they are more fun to me and you do not have to wait until the next round to respawn. And if your looking for a good bargain, I suggest getting CSS, HL2 DM and DOD:Source together. I bought them all on one disc for £20 here in the UK.

Edited by Master of Puppets (see edit history)

Its actually really cheap.If you download steam from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ create a new account, you can order and download CS:Source directly for $19.95Counter-Strike:Condition Zero is $9.95 and CS 1.6 is also $9.95 and even comes with half life over steam as a package tooits only expensive if you buy them from a storesteam buys the games directly from the company, not through a vendor, so its a lot cheaper

It's a nice game... but I don't know if you'll like it after a while. If you like Half-Life 2, buy that and you'll get CS:S along with it. I think it's a nice addition... but nothing to spend more than $30 on. Half-Life 2 was nice though...

CS:S is one of best games I ever played (and play).Trully, that money you will spend for it, after a while, you wont miss.It is really good game with alot of friendly guys (well as in some servers you will meet only idiots that dont want to play this game for fun but for score and nothing else).

PC you need is:

Minimum (if you want to have it playable):

CPU: 1000MHz

GPU: GeForce 4/Radeon 7000

Ram: 256MB

HDD: at last 5GB of space

Recommended (well if you want enough performance and good quality):

CPU: 2,4GHz

GPU: GeForce 6800/Radeon x800

RAM: 1024MB

HDD: 7GB

Hope it helps :)

Edited by SP_Dante (see edit history)

I played Counter Strike for the first time about a month ago. I guess it was alright, but I kinda suck at it. I'm use to Quake 3 and fast FPS like that.I'd definately like to give CS:S a try because of the engine. I think it would be a lot better than half-life's engine. Those footsteps get on my nerves on Counter Strike. That whole buy thing is also hard to get use to.I plan on trying it, but it'll be at a later date. I'm always behind the times.

I personally love conuterstrike:source. For the footsteps i dont know what i would do without them people would sneek up on u all the time. and the buy menu i dont even use before. Just get a buy script that binds the weaps and other stuff u need to ur number pad ;) lots faster

Ive been playing CSX on the Xbox for nearly a year now,of which i have enjoyed greatly as hacking/cheating is very rare and its a popular game.I never played the original CS on the Half Life engine,but i wish i did!I bought Half Life 2 on the 29th of Decembre 2004 and i was instantly playing CSS and not Half Life 2,why?Ill tell you why,Half Life is a good game,but a single player game with never be able to match the tension and fun levals of an online game.As AI bots usually react on the same paths,but playing against real other players is imense and has been since the days of early network games,Doom,Quake etc.But to play this game at its best possible leval you will need a fairly good or new PC,so dont buy if you arent sure,TRY THE DEMO!Online,CSS is amazing.Requiring strategy,teamwork and skill.Dont expect not to get called a no0b.As standard CSS contains around 10 maps,but this is only the tip of the iceberg and the modding community is HUGE.The concept of the game is basicly two teams,Counter terrorists(CT) and Terrorists(T).The game is played in rounds,and to win the round your team has obejectives.CT Objectives : Eliminate all remaining enemys,rescua all surviving hostages or difuse the armed bomb.T Objectives : Eliminate all remaining enemys,protect the hostages from being rescued and plant the bomb,but be sure that it has time to go off.CSS contains many weapons,from Pistols to Auto Snipers.The weapons have to be bought win imaginery cash($) at the start of each round.The amount of cash you and your team has depends on the events of the previous round.Just say i got 4 kills last round and resued all the hostages.Now ive just goten my team lots of money by winning the round,as i rescued all remaining hostages.And i also got myself some more extra cash as i killed enemys in the last round.There are only a few downsides to CSS one of them is the usual PC game crashes,not everyone will experience these,but im sure they will if they play frequently.Hacking?Cheating and Glitches are known to be explointed in PC games and CSS isnt an exception.Cheating is fairly common,but dont let this put you off.If you didnt already know,Counter Strike Source is ran through Valve Softwares(the creaters of half Life and CS) popular service,Steam.Steam is yet to have an anti-cheat system,commonly known as VAC,but Punkbuster is there.There are always 1000's of servers open and waiting for new players in the daytime and many,many more at night.So you wont be lost to finding a good,friendly server.You also get a free Half Life 2 deathamtch style multiplayer game,title Half life 2 deathmatch which is also tense,much like unreal tournament.NOTE : Please note that broadband is reconmended for online play(prefferably 256k up,and 256K down).If you still have 56K or lower,dont be put off as its possible to still have a good time.You just might experience slowdown,aka LAG.Overall Counter strike source for the PC is an excellent game which you should have in your gaming collection if possible!

Id say get counter strike source it is the best game I have ever playing in my life the graphics are amazing it is just some much fun!!-Corey