xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jimmy89

Screensaver Problems It wont start

HiI just re installed windows on my computer (I know i can hear people saying "Why Windows", but i need it to run certain programs) and i have encountered a problem with my screensaver.I have it set to load the "My Pictures" screensaver after 3 minutes. But after 3 minutes the screen saver wont appear!! I have also set my monitor to turn off (standby) after 5 minutes. The only thing that i find strange is that when i have locked the computer (e.g switch user) and it is sitting on the login screen, the monitor will go into standby after 5 minutes, but before that no screensaver appears.I am wondering why this is happening. I have tried everything, turning it on and off, changing screensavers and times. Nothing will make it work.Thanks for your help!

okay, it's kinda lame solution, but try picasa2 . It has an option for a screensaver. You simply have to select all the images you want to see and add it to the screensaver album.

I installed xp on my new laptop, which came with vista,now my screensaver at first wouldn't start. Since I have gotten the screensaver to start, it comes on and runs for a couple minutes, then shuts down the computer to standby mode. and I can't come out of standby mode without manually shutting down the computer-ManNameCain

Screensaver will not start

Screensaver Problems

I recently purchased a 22in monitor and now my screensaver will not activate.

I can go to the settings and preview it for only a second and it will shut off. What seems to be the problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Problems starting computer

Screensaver Problems

When I press the power button on the tower, everything seems fine at first. Except that the monitor stays blank. The power button on the monitor flashes on and off intermittently. It won't stay on, even if I press the power button on it to make it stay on. If I leave it alone for a couple hours, sometimes it will turn to screen saver and I can use the computer. Most of the time it just stays blank with the monitor light flashing on and off. I think that sometimes when it stays blank like this, the computer actually does turn on but the monitor just stays blank.

I started having this problem after I took a computers class and my professor said that you should always turn the monitor off when you turn the computer off because the monitor stays on even when the tower is off unless you turn it off manually. So I started turning the monitor off and on along with the computer. Except that the monitor WON'T turn on.

Also, the computer has a history of freezing up and being revived along with the screen saver-- I don't know if this is pertinant to my problem or not, but I used to use the computer for gaming a lot (it doesn't have a dual processor, so that may have been hard on it), and every time I tried to save my game in The Sims 2, the pointer would turn to a spinning hourglass like it's supposed to, but then the hourglass would stop spinning. After a half hour or so (much longer than I have my screensaver set to appear), the screens aver would come on, and that's how it would become unfrozen. I don't know if that's related to what's going on now with the computer, but it might since on the rare occasions when the computer DOES turn on a show up on the screen, it shows up only after the screensaver has started.

I've had this computer and monitor for 4 years. It's an HP. The monitor says MAG on the front. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know if the problem is with the monitor or the tower, so any ideas as to anything like that would be wonderful.

-reply by Elyse

From Windows Vista to Windows XP it is quite Dodgy because there are certain drivers vista keeps on that xp cant respond to. It's probably best you bring your computer in to a store so they can install everything for you. it would cost about $99 to $150.

I have a similar problem, I got a screen-saver from the Internet and thought to use it by default, due to before I just had a simple rotating text, so thought to have something new, but when I set it and do an apply, after I close the proprieties and open them again, I see that my screen-saver is set to None and not to that screen-saver I wanted.. I tried it again and again after restart, but didn't help, so I guess it just ignores it and doesn't let to use it, even though I can use the XP default ones, any ideas? :)

Problem with screensaver shutting down

Screensaver Problems

I am running Vista Home basic on a Dell PC and I am having problem with the screensaver, does not matter watch screensave I use, it is very hard to stop the screensaver, sometimes I even have to re-boot to get out of it. Anybody have any ideas of what is happening?

-reply by Robert

Computer wont start

Screensaver Problems

Hello everyone,

I'm having a serious problem, I have a Hp Windows Vista and it was working perfectly the other day and now wen I turn it on it runs perfectly up until I type the password to log onto the computer and the screen is just black...I waited and a message came up saying "The Screen Saver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one thats compatible with Direct3D" Can some one please help me ASAP! Thanks AF

-question by Antonio

Screen saver problemScreensaver Problems

I got a new gateway dx with windows vista. My screen saver wont go on by itself. Everytime I turn my computer off then on I have to got back into the settings and reset the time I want the screen saver to start. After I do that everyday the screensaver works fine. Any thoughts on how to fix this problem. 

-reply by Toby

Screensaver sizeScreensaver Problems

My screensaver pictures, which previously filled the screen, now have a border (about one tenth picture size).  I would like to get them back to full size if possible.  Can anyone help please? Windows XP

-question by John