xisto Community
iGuest

The Top 9 Reasons Why MySpace Sucks

Post yours.

I'm sorry myspace fans.

1. MySpace has terrible accessibility. Its main appeal is its puppylike accessibility! You may not have to be a tech wiz to navigate MySpace.com, but you do have to be using a web browser with image support and you must have good vision. I once visited MySpace with images turned off in my browser and it was very hard to use the website. Anyone using a text browser (a category which includes any blind internet user) will have major difficulties using MySpace.

2. MySpace has terrible coding. I am not merely talking about the horrific cut and paste crap I see in every profile. MySpace's own coding is such a mess it looks like something I would've created in FrontPage when I was twelve. My MySpace profile has no less than 238 errors. I'm sure the backend coding must be just as bad, considering how often I get errors on MySpace. The very unfortunate thing is this will likely never be fixed. In order to be fixed a complete overhaul of the entire engine would have to take place. Every profile with custom stuff in it would break and there would be a community outrage.

3. MySpace forced me to be friends with Tom. Right after I joined MySpace I went to my profile and was rather annoyed to see that it had given me an automatic friend, Tom. Tom, go out and earn friends the right way. And recode your site, damnit.

4. MySpace is littered with more ads than my inbox. Good grief, I don't know how anyone can browse this site without Firefox's wonderful AdBlock extension.

5. MySpace interrupts my Carmina Burana with crappy EMO music. MySpace allows you to add a song to your profile. Even if I check the box that supposedly disables these songs from automatically playing it will still play fifty percent of the time. Furthermore, this feature is practically useless considering the fact that people like to embed twenty music videos and thirty songs in their profile at one time. The only redeeming factor about MySpace's music features is that it gives Wizard Rock a home.

6. MySpace creates yet another avenue for people to take and upload twenty pictures of themselves looking "sexy" (ie, not smiling). All of the pictures are from one photoshoot and all look almost identical except for the angle. The user then adds witty descriptions like "morbid" or "anarchy".

7. MySpace creates even more stupid High School drama. LYKE OMGZ IM NAWT IN UR TOP ATE!!!! (by the way, if you think any one of this misspellings was less than intentional, quit reading now)

8. Idiotic kids meet strange men on MySpace who rape/stalk/kidnap/kill them. This is actually not MySpace's fault. It is really the fault of parents who do not discipline and educate their kids well enough. I also think it has to do with the "badass" culture promoted by those whiny middle aged men in "punk" bands who sing about their parents and how bad their lives are as well as those disgusting "GANGSTAAAAS" running around glorifying booze, drugs, gang life and disrespect for women/authority.

9. MySpace has members who think they are vampires. Need I say more?

From http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I'm sorry if it offended anyone :unsure:
Edited by szupie (see edit history)

While I agree that myspace sucks (I can't stand it... the pages are all horrid and there are much better social networking sites out their) a large number of your arguments are flawed or irrelevant...1. Accessibility - There are a shitload of sites that are not accessible in text only browsers now... for example every flash heavy site out there. Just a fact of life now.2.I'll give you the coding argument although I haven't checked it myself as I avoid myspace with every ounce of strength I have3. This isn't to make tom friends, its an example to show people what to do and get started...4. They made myspace to make money so ads ads ads. If the community doesn't stop using it due to the ads why take them down? Mo ads = mo money. Makes business sense.5. This is either part of the code issue, or the users, not myspace6.Again the users, not myspace itself7. Users8.users9.usersSo yes, most of your arguments are either actually about the insanely low IQ of many of the myspace users or simply fads of the internet right now. Really the *BLEEP* backend code is the only thing I can think of that is their own fault. If I could make a sight that allowed people to act like complete idiots and make me tons of money by splattering ads all over it I would too haha.So yes, I agree myspace sucks, and even for many of the reasons you say... but its the users fault it sucks so badly not myspace itself. I'm sure with a refined user set myspace could be a decent enough site.

I never used myspace myself, because I knew it sucks, but there are quite a lot of sites which offers something like myspace, friends and photos of yourself, well a lot of people get addicted to this kind of sites and wastes most of their time, why can't they do something else? like read a tutorial how to program using c language or something like this. The most funniest reason for me was :unsure: "9. MySpace has members who think they are vampires." :D

I did a test at MySpace. (And this is a rant against the users, not MySpace :unsure:) I added a number of people to my friends list, just to see how naive these people were. (It was around 30 people. I just went randomly and picked) And surprisingly, about 20 of the people accepted my invitation. I was very shocked--hey, I don't know you. You don't know me. Why in the world are you accepting the fact that I'm adding you to my friends list? Aren't you going to possess at least an ounce of suspicion about who I am and why I'm suddenly adding a torrent of people to my friends list? And why are these same people complaining about rapists roaming MySpace? Stop adding random strangers to your friends list, for godsake!

So yes, most of your arguments are either actually about the insanely low IQ of many of the myspace users or simply fads of the internet right now. Really the *BLEEP* backend code is the only thing I can think of that is their own fault. If I could make a sight that allowed people to act like complete idiots and make me tons of money by splattering ads all over it I would too haha.

Yeah, any rant against MySpace is mostly directed at its users. I mean, MySpace could definitely have better code too...but its users are the biggest point worthy of complaint. (We get more unwanted exposure...:D)
My MySpace complaint of the day: Every time I visit a MySpace site, it always freezes my computer. Always. I don't get it, but the users seem to feel happy uploading 50 YouTube videos without a thought in the world for their visitors. And the garish backgrounds--more often than not I can't read a word of what they're saying because of the pumpkin-halloween-ghost-monster-blah background with gray text over it. Can't they themselves see that it's insanely hard to scrutinize the contents of their site?

Of course, that's not to say the makers of MySpace are stupid--they're hecka smart. They're making a lot of money, whether off of idiots or smart people. :D
Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

Personally, I only use MySpace to keep in touch with friends & friends who no longer live near me. otherwise, I do hate myspace and here's why!1) The coding SUCKS... whoever did it (*cough* tom *cough*) did a terrible job.2) ADS ADS ADS ADS ADS... it's owned by a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR company... WHY SO MANY ADS?!?!3) Terrible network... even Yahoo and google are faster & they carry more users! Plus, I'll get routed to a down server because of a faulty load balancing system & the damn load balancing system won't put me on a server that is UP or I'll get a bunch of "Server Busy" messages.4) Windows servers... need I say more??5) Data center doesn't TEST backup generators!! Thank goodness MySpace is NOT a hosting company anymore (I believe before tom got his hand on the domain, it was a hosting company)That's just a basic rundown...[N]F

Edited by nightfox (see edit history)

I use myspace, mostly just to keep in touch with people. But my absolute favorite thing about Myspace is the bulletins. 90% of the bulletins posted threaten on of two things. Your life. Or your love life. There is no way, that some creepy little dead kid is going to come kill me if I don't post the bulletin spreading the fake story.

1. MySpace has terrible accessibility. Its main appeal is its puppylike accessibility! You may not have to be a tech wiz to navigate MySpace.com, but you do have to be using a web browser with image support and you must have good vision. I once visited MySpace with images turned off in my browser and it was very hard to use the website. Anyone using a text browser (a category which includes any blind internet user) will have major difficulties using MySpace.

Yes this is one thing i agree with you with. I don't even try to use it on my PSP anymore. It is too slow because of all the images. IT will take my PSP Browser a full 2 mins to open my home page (the cpanel you could say of your myspace)

2. MySpace has terrible coding. I am not merely talking about the horrific cut and paste crap I see in every profile. MySpace's own coding is such a mess it looks like something I would've created in FrontPage when I was twelve. My MySpace profile has no less than 238 errors. I'm sure the backend coding must be just as bad, considering how often I get errors on MySpace. The very unfortunate thing is this will likely never be fixed. In order to be fixed a complete overhaul of the entire engine would have to take place. Every profile with custom stuff in it would break and there would be a community outrage.

I don't understand why this matters? Every browser i have used has never had problems except for what you were saying in number 1. I use Opera, IE, Firefox, Netscape, and other ones like the AIM browser and never had trouble due to the coding. I hope they don't make it so that you have to pass some kind of HTML code test. I mean look at it, there are some huge morons on there. I can hand code my CSS and HTML, but i never do because it is easier to use some generator. I like copying my quiz results and things because they are funny and interesting. There is no real problems with this.

3. MySpace forced me to be friends with Tom. Right after I joined MySpace I went to my profile and was rather annoyed to see that it had given me an automatic friend, Tom. Tom, go out and earn friends the right way. And recode your site, damnit.

haha i deleted him too. I think they should get rid of this too.

4. MySpace is littered with more ads than my inbox. Good grief, I don't know how anyone can browse this site without Firefox's wonderful AdBlock extension.

I have never ever had a problem with the ads. Why don't you just NOT look at them. I always play those stupid games like George Bush VS a Cow and stuff though haha. My main point though is there is no problem with these at all. Who here has actually had to stop doing what ever they were doing due to the ads? No one. They make the site a bit slower (myspace is slow period. They have 2 servers haha. You'd think there would be more with how many users there are), but the ads are just a small reason for that. The servers are the main reason.

5. MySpace interrupts my Carmina Burana with crappy EMO music. MySpace allows you to add a song to your profile. Even if I check the box that supposedly disables these songs from automatically playing it will still play fifty percent of the time. Furthermore, this feature is practically useless considering the fact that people like to embed twenty music videos and thirty songs in their profile at one time. The only redeeming factor about MySpace's music features is that it gives Wizard Rock a home.

I REALLY hate that. Most people always pause it too. I do not put music videos on mine as common courtesy. I hate those too. This is another thing i agree with.

6. MySpace creates yet another avenue for people to take and upload twenty pictures of themselves looking "sexy" (ie, not smiling). All of the pictures are from one photoshoot and all look almost identical except for the angle. The user then adds witty descriptions like "morbid" or "anarchy".

Who cares. It makes people feel better about themselves when people write "sexy" haha Im just joking, but seriously speaking for a second, i never read the captions anyways. Plus it's a good way of knowing what the people look like before you meet them for the people that use it for dating.

7. MySpace creates even more stupid High School drama. LYKE OMGZ IM NAWT IN UR TOP ATE!!!! (by the way, if you think any one of this misspellings was less than intentional, quit reading now)

OK this gets annoying. Agree 100%

8. Idiotic kids meet strange men on MySpace who rape/stalk/kidnap/kill them. This is actually not MySpace's fault. It is really the fault of parents who do not discipline and educate their kids well enough. I also think it has to do with the "badass" culture promoted by those whiny middle aged men in "punk" bands who sing about their parents and how bad their lives are as well as those disgusting "GANGSTAAAAS" running around glorifying booze, drugs, gang life and disrespect for women/authority.

Ok first how many people have actaully been raped or even killed? What is the ratio to people being raped and/or killed from myspace and people who have not? what like 1:45,000. No matter where you have that many people there is GOING to be stupid people and criminals. Get over that.
Also just to clear it up Punk bands almost never sing about how bad their life is or even less about parents. Most punk bands are about politics/drugs/cops/racism/sexism/freedom/protesting. I think it's dumb too bring down a genre of music when you don't even know the background of it. And pleeeeaassseeee. The thing about disrespect to women and rap? Come on. Who are the people dancing in the music videos? Women. They dont have to do that. I think it's horrible they rap about that kind of stuff, but thats the genre get over it. I don't hear that many women complain about it. I don't listen to rap, but come on now. Do you know how many girls i know who listens to rap and don't even notice that is disrespectful. I mean THERE ARE WOMEN RAPPERS WHO SING ABOUT HOW GREAT IT IS. Heard the song Candy Shop or something by 50 Cent. Isn't that with a women in it?

9. MySpace has members who think they are vampires. Need I say more?

Ok so 8 reasons haha. This isn't really a reason.

Don't get me wrong there are tons of problems with Myspace, but most are just little things. Most are little personal issues people can't get over like the misspelling and such. Get over it or leave myspace. Don't compain and use it. If you don't like it don't use it. I hate how slow it is. I hate how the music plays whenever you open a profile and how annoying it is. I have had lots of good things from it. I met a girl i REALLY like from it. That is + that will over shadow the little dumb problems i have no problem with.
Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

How many people use the myspace blogs like actualy blogs? Iv'e noticed most of them, including mine, are just random things. Like i put my artwork in it. People also seem to put things like. I HATE SALLY! I use blogger for my website. The groups are OK, but most never get oo popular and the forums in the groups suck.

Mysace though isn't much good i feel its the best because of being the first one to give all the feature and fun ,Tom is not added there in your profile because he cant earn friends it is kept so that one can understand the concept of myspace prperly and and if you want you can remove tom from your friends list if you want