xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Kubuntu Not Detecting My USB Ports. Any Solution?

Ok, I ran into some problems with my install of Kubuntu. Windows was screwed anyways & needed to be removed :unsure:. OK, anyways, I have USB ports on my laptop but Kubuntu isn't detecting them and I MUST have USB ports for my flash drive and external hard drive.I'm going to do a nice long search to see if I can find anyone else with the same problem. Other than that, it works fine.[N]F

Ah, that's too bad.What else is too bad is I thought this thread was solutions for machines with no USB port. I know there probably aren't any, but it was worth a click.My old machine has some programs that I want to put on a flash drive, but no luck without any USB ports. No CD-R drive either, and I'm not about to install one. It's a trash machine basically, can't even shut down properly.Oh well.

ochi_hcd module is for usb 1.1uhci_hcd modul is for intel usb 1.1ehci_hcd module is for usb 2.0modprobe those modules, and read the dmesg output.use lsusb, and lspci to gather info on your hardware.And remember.... Linux was one of the first Operating systems to support USB 2.0, it supported it long before windows did.it will work, you just need to learn how to use it.

ochi_hcd module is for usb 1.1uhci_hcd modul is for intel usb 1.1
ehci_hcd module is for usb 2.0

modprobe those modules, and read the dmesg output.

use lsusb, and lspci to gather info on your hardware.

And remember.... Linux was one of the first Operating systems to support USB 2.0, it supported it long before windows did.

it will work, you just need to learn how to use it.

ok, I'll have to take a look at this later when I have time!

[N]F

If you have your kernel sources you can try and compile your kernel with usb support.Just install the sources then goto /usr/src/Linux then typemake menuconfigthis should lead you to the kernel options menu. Then find the usb support in the device drivers menu and build it into kernel.You can do it by pressing "Y" when the option is highlighted.If you want them to stay as modules but get usb support when you start your computer then you must modeprobe that modules on startup.You can do it by editing /etc/rc.d/rc.local open that file and write"modprobe modulename"this should give you your usb support on startup.

I had this problem with Ubuntu, and I've ordered some Kubuntu cds.I have USB2, and both of them are Live CDS.Well, USB mouse works, but not pen drive or broadband.