xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
elevenmil

Getting Started help please

Ok I got my account running but I'm a newbie at this and the only other host i've been with is Angelfire. I'm trying to figure this all out and I searched the forum for topics to help me get started but I couldn't find anything. I know how to upload and all but I edited my initail index page to the page I have, saved it, and I go to my homepage and nothing has changed - it still has the initial Xisto welcome page. Can someone help me get started or link me to a forum discussion that has already covered topics like this one. My main question is - how do I get my homepage up?....Again I've uploaded my created homepage but when I click on the internet browser to go to my homepage all I get is the initial homepage Xisto puts up. Thanks.

elevenmil, you have to make a new index.html or index.htm. You can program the HTML for any of the two files on your desktop. When you're done, go to your cPanel (the URL should be http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). In cPanel, select File Manager, and a pop-up should pop up. In there, click on the FOLDER ICON next to "www" (DON'T click on the WORD "www"). Then, make sure you delete the default index.html file there (the index.html file provided to you by Xisto). Then click "Upload File(s)" - this has a big up arrow next to it. Then, you will be brought to a page with a lot of text boxes and buttons. Click on "Browse" (any button will do). Find the index.html or index.htm file on your computer and press Open. Then, click Upload in the page with a lot of buttons and text boxes.

Now, when you go to your website (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), you should see your homepage!

If you don't get all that, feel free to PM me! :)

If you want to use FTP to upload your files, you can go to

yoursite.trap17.com

and window is going to pop up. Click OK, and then click with right button and choose Login As... . Files are going to appear and then double click on public_html and just copy all that files you need!