xisto Community
WeaponX

Resolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

What could cause a limited user account to revert the screen resolution back to 800x600 when it was set to 1024x768? I have a user who says it's only happening to the limited user account. If he changes that account to have administrative rights, it will stick at 1024x768. If it's just the limited user, he could change the resolution to 1024x768 and it will stay that way until he logs off or shuts down the computer.He's using Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 installed. He's not connected to any company network. Just home computer on DSL.Could there be a setting in Group Policy that can do this? I asked him to check and he couldn't find anything on it.Thanks.

I know there is an option that makes windows not to save any changes made to the system configuration, but I don't know where it is (somewhere in the registry I tought).In meantime, he can change his acount to a root account, change the setting, reboot and changeing his acount back to a limited user.

I tried searching all over online for a setting that might do this, but to no avail. My only guess is that it's easier to do it through group policy (if there is an option to do that in there).Yep, already tried that. I went through all the common troubleshooting methods and it still won't work. He set it to an administrator account and rebooted many times. The resolution stays. But once he changes it back to a limited user account (even if it's at 1024x768 resolution), after a logoff or restart, it reverts back to the 800x600 screen size.

I know there is an option that makes windows not to save any changes made to the system configuration, but I don't know where it is (somewhere in the registry I tought).
In meantime, he can change his acount to a root account, change the setting, reboot and changeing his acount back to a limited user.

--
i gues he was on window xp or up with a DNS running or perhaps with an active directory.

there is such a rule in windows to either use the active directory settings and override the users choice of settings. you can change the resolution for a limited user but when the computer gets rebooted. the active directory or the dns server will send the default settings and loads it over the current configuration the limited user have setup.

hope that helps..

I asked him what kind of graphics card he has. Still waiting for a reply back from him...Doesn't active directory require the computer to be connected to some sort of network? I actually told him to unplug the ethernet cable also before he starts up the computer or logs in to see if that affects anything. It's still happening :unsure:

I don't know why this is happening especially since he's not connected to any server. He already uninstalled the drivers, restarted the computer and reinstalled it to no avail.Does anyone know if Group Policy has this setting to reset the screen resolution?

I am a computer engineer. The problem described in the OPs post is not a common one but usually indicates:a) limited user account not being able to save settings to the registry:D a roaming profile ** this could be the issue as when the machine logs on it will download the users profile for the session and remote sessions tend to be in 800 x 600 modec) the operating system has not been correctly configured: unless there is a group policy in force, no home pc should be set up with limited user accounts, they don't work properly and even Microsoft have admitted they don't work (they say this will be fixed in Windows Vista which will be more akin to Unix in that it will run users unprivileged unless they "elevate" to super user (administrator level)d) from what has been described, I would log in as an admin on the computer, create a new user with admin privilege and migrate the user data to the new profile.

Edited by kerouac (see edit history)

@kerouac, we probably don't need to do that at all if it works when the limited accounts are changed to administrator. He said that it's happening to all the limited user accounts so this will probably not fix it...he can just change them all to admin accounts. But since he said this was a office computer, they must have restricted the users for a reason. I'm not really sure how he's connected, since I rarely see a one computer office unless it's really small. But he said no server connected...So there is no such option in Group Policy then right?I will ask the user to reinstall the Windows OS as a last option if this all fails...

I just built a system and had the same problem. XP gave me a "driver error" while poking around in the advanced display settings HMI. Based on that, I suspected a bad driver install. I deleted my NVIDIA drivers, and re-booted. Just deleting the drivers solved the problem. I then installed the latest NVIDIA driver and all is well.-Dennis

I have a system doing this...I have a 7600gs nviea card...so this is not related to the os or card as we all have the same issue...I have xp pro sp2...it doesnt happen all the time either so thats the really maddening part...the system works great...no other issues...and heh, a total system reinstall is definaately out of the question for such a minor bug....id greatly like to see some other input on this...thanks!-walt