xisto Community
zomowiec

The Sleeping Giant Of Intel Has Now Arisen! Intels Conroe Vs. AMDs Dual-Core Athlon

The sleeping giant of Intel has now arisen.

After years, the chip giant is set to reclaim the desktop performance crown from crosstown rival Advanced Micro Devices with the launch of Conroe, its much-anticipated next-generation processor.
In a head-to-head comparison, the CRN Test Center put Intel's soon-to-be-released Core 2 Extreme Processor and AMD's top-of-the-line Athlon FX62 Dual Core processor through the paces. Initial test results show that Intel's latest processor lives up to the hype and outpaces AMD's best by almost 28 percent.

Intel's advances on AMD's territory doesn't end with just performance, but also includes lower power requirements and reduced costs, a combination that could prove fatal to AMD's growth in the desktop processor market. What's more, AMD is several months away from anything new in the desktop processor market, leaving the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company's current Athlon product line very vulnerable to the mammoth marketing machine of Intel, Santa Clara, Calif. [...][...]The rest of the components used in this comparison were selected to keep things as equal as possible. The same Antec 550-watt Neo HE power supply was used on both test boards as was the same pair of Corsiar CM2X512-8500 RAM modules and EVGA GeoForce 7800GT PCI-X video cards. Both systems were equipped with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750-Gbyte Serial ATA hard drive. Windows XP Service Pack 2 was installed on both test systems, and the latest drivers were downloaded from the company's respective Web sites. [...]

[...]With all of the chips on the table, so to speak, Intel has pulled ahead in the desktop market by providing a faster, cheaper CPU than the competition. But that victory may be shortlived. AMD can quickly rebalance the scales by increasing clock speeds and lowering prices.

<--(I agree AMD for a live :unsure: :zomowiec)

Source and rest of article: http://www.informationweek.com/review-intels-conroe-vs-amds-dual-core-athlon/d/d-id/1045134

I, as an AMD fan, must admit that the Conroe is a good chip, it's fast, rather cheap and even runs cool.On the other hand, AMD has dropped it prices seriously (or is going to).Unfortunately, I must say that Intel has been stupid. The Conroe isn't cheap to make, Intel just sells it for less money than usual. The downside is that they gain less money (the same goes for AMD).The problem is that 1 million less means they can't invest that million in new technology.It's probably not explained that well, but I hope you get the point a little bit, just keep in mind it's not as bad as it looks.

it is just a marketing stuffs...they are investing on consumer trustthey are trying to build back what they have lost. once they have completed they aim then its time for them to hit back at their customers.AMD is doing it too..back before when they are not the king of the chiptheir price is way too low compare to Intel but when they got the titlethey immediately change their pricing...its just a cycle of marketing

it is just a marketing stuffs...they are investing on consumer trustthey are trying to build back what they have lost. once they have
completed they aim then its time for them to hit back at their customers.
AMD is doing it too..back before when they are not the king of the chip
their price is way too low compare to Intel but when they got the title
they immediately change their pricing...its just a cycle of marketing

*kouch*
Jul 23 2006

That's very good for me. I own stock for intel :ph34r: I was worried when it wasn't recovering as fast as the rest of the market was for the last few months. I was regreting for not selling back last year when it gained 20%. I stayed in because I know it was a pretty safe investment. My computer runs of intel already along with all the newer dells. Im looking forward to see how this whole thing turns out. Thanks,Sparkx

As an AMD fan, I would say that AMD will survive, it has done it before, and it will do it again,,,The conroe is just another attempt to have an other sentence in his marketing strategies, because right now they cant say, that they have the fastes microprocessors..With the conroe,,they will, and could retain their market share...What is more exiting is that AMD is dropping their prices,,Gosh,,And it could mean that they have another microprocessor in the way...I wonder how the name will be...

I don't' believe in being a "fan" per se. I personally like AMD more but I believe Intel is the oldest, the best and will always maintain its grip on the market and will rebound. I doubt Intel will go the way of IBM. Cheaper and faster = better.

I did not know about the buyout of ATI. Personally, I think ATI produces better cards than nvidia, but they need a lot of micromanagement, and I mean a lot. I remember when having my ATI graphics card, I had to update my ati drivers once a month...Now I have an NVIDIA and I dodnt have a need to update, since it runs smoothly....But for the other hand,,That ATI card had better performance than their nvidia price counterparts...Well, even though ATI has some issues, I hope AMD will work them out to build powerful processors..

I think AMD is in big troubles nowadays. They bought ATI for way too much, while they couldn't afford it. They are selling underpriced CPUs and I believe nVidia still has a larger market share in GPUs than ATI did. I also don't believe their upcoming CPUs are going to be able to beat the Core2, keeping them in the same position as they are now.What they need is BIG CONTRACT and they should stop spending too much money ...