xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zomowiec

Neurons Return In Damaged Brains From issue 2560 of New Scientist magazine, 14 July 2006, page 18

A DRUG that triggers the birth of neurons in rat brains has opened up the possibility of a new treatment for Parkinson's disease. Animals given the drug generated dopamine-producing neurons in the substantia nigra, the area of the brain where cells are lost in people with Parkinson's.
Christopher Eckman and Jackalina Van Kampen at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine in Jacksonville, Florida, found that after infusing the drug 7-OH-DPAT into damaged rats' brains for eight weeks, the numbers of neurons in the damaged region and the connections they made had both returned to near normal (The Journal of Neuroscience, vol 26, p 7272). "The recovery in the animals was nothing short of profound," says Eckman

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

so Parkinson's disease can be cured soon....lol

Notice from pyost:
Use the QUOTE tag when copying content from other web sites and be sure to specify the source

A DRUG that triggers the birth of neurons in rat brains has opened up the possibility of a new treatment for Parkinson's disease. Animals given the drug generated dopamine-producing neurons in the substantia nigra, the area of the brain where cells are lost in people with Parkinson's.

Most interesting - My granddad passed away from parkinson's and it isn't a managable thing to have. I'll be looking out for more iinformation on this. Been to a lot of old age homes too and seen the individual suffering that comes from Parkinson's.

Even more promising is the fact that neurons can be triggered to grow in the brain. This by itself has a lot of future possibilities, for use against brain cell degeneration to perhaps helping brain caused retarded children.

Ideally, such a drug will go through rigorous clinical trials and come out showing improved efficacy over current standard of care. Let's hope for the best on this front. there are other drugs that I'm aware of, in various stages of development, that also work towards neurologic homeostasis. I certainly wouldn't say 'cure'. But these therapies will be a great addition to treating patients with these terrible diseases.