xisto Community
parzons

Age Of Empires Or Starcraft? who comes out victorious?

Now, I have played both games many, many times and i can very well say, i have no clue which one i prefer. They are both have great gameplay, and are equally amusing. I wanna know which one u guys think is better?Age of Empires....or......Starcraft??

I think that Age of Empires is better but exactly which one are you talking about? The first one, the second one or one of the many expansions? Age of Empires is game you could play over and over and not get sick of it. The graphics are only limited my your computers graphics card. There is online play but as far as know not that many people play online.

I can't say which one I like better either. It does depend on playing mode though. Starcraft sucks for one-player, but gave me and my friends hours of entertainment on my friends's LAN, and a lot to talk about during recess all through elementary school. Age of Empires took up a lot of my time alone, and can be compared to Red Alert. I actually once played AoE with my friend though Direct-IP connection or whatever, and it was nice, but didn't last that long (the game got disconnected, and I was stuck with my friend's ships blocking the path to the enemy computer :unsure:). Anyways, both are great, but it depends on how many people you're going to play with and how many computers you've got.

BTW, I'm talking about the Brood War expansion for SC and AoE II and onwards.

My preference for either AOE2 (haven't played AOE3 enough) or Starcraft depends on the situation. When I am in the mood for a longer and slower game, I tend to prefer the Age of Empires games. Although rushing is still possible in this game, the bunker feature makes this more difficult. Moreover, there are more resources to accumulate and technologies to research. When I play solo, I generally stick to Age of Empires. The depth involved in micromanaging your civilization seems more entertaining.On the other hand, when I want to do a quick melee game with other networked players, I tend to prefer Starcraft. Yes, rushing is easier (and can be a drag), but that is reflective of how it is faster to build up an army and a base.

I gotta say I like Starcraft! For me its the classic of classic stradegy games! I find the gameplay better than in AOE, especially with the missile weapons. I thought AOE's catapults etc didn't work well and its really annonying when the computer attacks you from further than your towers can shoot!Age of Empires is entertaining to build up huge nations and trade/compete etc but Starcraft is just fighting and stategy! Its easier to control units in Starcraft and they are more likely to do what you 'want' than what you 'tell' them to do!Although Age of Empires does provide more hours of gameplay because ther is so much more to do! The games take longer and there are several ways to win!Well, thats what I think anyway!PS. Wouldn't this fit better on the strategy games board?

If you have not tried Age of Kings: The Conquerors Expansion (AOE 2), you have missed out on alot of what RTS gaming is about. June of 2006 however, the MSN gaming zone discontinued online matchmaking for AOE 2 so a secondary site picked it up. If you ever want to play it online, just visit http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. There are about 1000 players on daily and there has been some good measures taken against online hacking/cheating.

I thought AOE's catapults etc didn't work well and its really annonying when the computer attacks you from further than your towers can shoot!

The point of the catipult in AOE 1 was to act as a siege unit that had the power to destroy the towers. In Age of Empires 2, things are much different and the catapults know not to attack near your own soldiers and there are now trebuchets that can take down the towers.

I have to say that I preferred Age of Empires II, the conquerors expansion, I ve played it alone and in groups. Gosh I can remember how I enjoy this groups match..I ve learn a lot of the different world warriors that existed on earth,,different cultures and different ways of fighting. I enjoyed playing with the Mayans, and remember how badly wanted to rush everybody's town center..I became famous in the internet cafe were my bodies and I met regularly to war against each other...Once,,I remember that I even did not sleep, training for this famous rush..But my pals move to another cafe and I suddenly found another job that made impossible for me to keep playing. Once yo play it alone,,and you win the computer,,,you don't want to play it again..But when you met your pals,,Gosh,,blood starts to flow faster,,and my hands kind of tremble..It is something I think every man has inside..This appeal to fight in group...I don't play it anymore..for now..

The point of the catipult in AOE 1 was to act as a siege unit that had the power to destroy the towers. In Age of Empires 2, things are much different and the catapults know not to attack near your own soldiers and there are now trebuchets that can take down the towers.

I agree, there were many improvements made to the siege units in Age of Empires 2. Although the annoying fact remains... The siege units stil fire further than towers. So everytime the someone attacks you have to get some units and trot out to kill them. Or lure them closer to your towers.

Although it was nice that the catapults stopped firing near your soldiers! :ph34r:

On SiegeAge Of Empires Or Starcraft?

Forgive me for necromancing.

People who say that one of AoE's flaws is that siege units have a longer range than defensive structures have definitely never experienced a Guardian, Reaver, Siege Tank or Yamato Gun.

And I think that it's very balancing to have that anyway--if people just turtle, it'll be VERY difficult to knock down their defensive structures (never mind their army) without proper siege units. The game will drag out for a long time, and will probably stalemate. If trebuchets taking down towers is a problem, just garrison  a few units, or have a mobile strikeforce of Paladins/Hussars/Cavalry Archers/Cataphracts/Mangudai/etc. Roaming about taking down trebs. Part of playing an RTS is that you have to pay attention--not just lean back and say "Ah, my base will take care of itself now. Where'd that beer go?"

-reply by TMa

I played both, Starcraft quite a lot of times and Age of Empires, except for the newest one if it's out I don't even know, but these games in my opinion both are very good, I can't say which one is better for me, they both brought me lots of joy while playing :mellow:

I've played both games as well, though Age of Empires had caught my attention a bit more. Now, obviously, Starcraft is more popular (especially in East Asia :mellow:), and I can understand this, but Age of Empires offers more diversity, in my opinion. It also comes down to whether you prefer realistic games or not. It really is difficult to tell which one is better...

AOE3 RULESAge Of Empires Or Starcraft?

my opinion is that the age of Empires3 is a better game than starcraft2 in every way.

graphics are refreshing game play is better, you know what your units are and the weapons they possess. Also the LAN play did I forgot to mention that./txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley2.Gif

for me starcraft 1 and 2 are too dark to look at, too much imaginary, and did I MENTIONED TOO F... DARK