xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
doudou

Installing Drupal Through Cpanel Install under root directory

Most people probably already know this, but it took a little while for me to figure it out.

1. Configure your Public_html folder

Access your files through FTP, Under folder “public_html” rename file “.htaccess” to “ORIGNAL.htaccess”

Right click on the renamed file “ORIGNAL.htaccess”, select “File Attributes” and uncheck “Group Permission” so that the total is 600.

2. Install Drupal

From your CPanel home, under “Fantastico” click on Drupal (under Content Management)

Click on “New Installation”, fill in the information except for leave the directory filed empty and it will install under your root directory.

If you didn’t go through the first step and attempt to install Drupal under root directory right away, you will get an error message.

Hope this is helpful.

Yes, doudou, once you have the permissions set correctly for the particular files and directory, then, installation of Drupal through the Fatastico is a walk in the park. It does all the cumbersome database setup for you. Ofcourse, if one has worked in any database system before, it wont be cumbersome - but that is another issue.The only drawback of this method is that, it does not install the latest Drupal. The current Xisto account cPanel's Fantastico installs Drupal 4.5 which is not supported at Drupal.org. Only Druapal 4.6 and 4.7 is supported. (The latest patch release is Drupal 4.7.2). There will be mostly security patches that we need to keep track of on the Drupal installation done. For this to happen, we would need to install Drupal on our own. It is a bit difficult than the Fantastico method, but not that difficult. They have got good documentation on the installation procedure. Ofcourse, if one just wants to check out how Drupal is and wants to experiment around, there is no problem for going with the Fantastico auto-installer.

Vyoma - Although the drupal installed through Fantastico is not the latest version of 4.7.2 but it is 4.7.0. So it is still supported. I’ve definitely worked with databases before (cold fusion & SQL) but I still have no clue with Drupal, so this is a learn as I go kind of deal.

Are you sure the Fantastico at Xisto's account installs a Drupal 4.7? Because when I last checked it, it was installing a Drupal 4.5. If it installs a 4.7, then definetly it is not a problem, as you can just take the two patches and upgrade it to Drupal 4.7.2.And regarding knowledge with databases - I meant it this way: If one has the knowledge on working with databases, it would be easy to follow the installation instructions of Drupal, as the major process in installing Drupal is setting up the database itself.

Are you sure the Fantastico at Xisto's account installs a Drupal 4.7?

Yup, it's true my friend. I, too, was gladly shocked to see that the Fantastico scripts have been updated. Remember the advice you gave me about Drupal a couple of days ago? That's when I saw the upgrade :unsure:

Honestly, I don't know how Opaque handles all this. I thought, all with the Xisto - Web Hosting.com paid hosting, that his attention to Xisto would slacken. But he keeps surprising me. Kudos to a man after my own heart :D

Cheers.

Edited by isMobham (see edit history)

isMohbam, thanks for confirming on this news, and it really is a great news for me. I am a Drupal buff these days, and I am quite thrilled that our cPanel's Fantastico has been upgraded. It was about couple of weeks back when I had started to tinker around with Drupal, when I noticed that it was installing a 4.5. That is when I did a manual install of 4.7. Yes - it does not make much of a difference to me, but anyone else who wants to start of with Drupal, and seeks help, I can say, just click on Drupal Install in the cPanel's fantastico.

And yes again, Opaque handle is quite well. I do not know much about running hosting sites, but keeping track of all the latest softwares that are being provided with the hosting account seems to be one hell of a job, and Opaque is doing it quite well.