xisto Community
dhanesh1405241511

Antivirus For Linux ?

ok quick question .. Which is the Best antivirus software today for Linux .. I use SuSE 10.1 .. so will they be compatible ? .. I am a freek when it comes to antivirus lol .. cause i use Norton for windows .. and its served me well, from virus protection to Firewall. So is there any similar software out there for linux .. I have both options opened .. Paid and Freeware.RegardsDhanesh.

I don't think there's any need to use antivirus for Linux. It just DOESN'T get infected :D. But, if I remember correctly, you can use clamAV, here's the link:

http://www.clamav.net/

But mind you, it's a linux antivirus to detect Viruses in Windows partitions. There seems to be a version available for windows as well, but never tried it out.

If you need a good firewall, you can try learning to use IPtables. There are some firewall packages out there, but all they do is configure the IPtables with a nice GUI.

Hope that helps :unsure:.

There's also LiveDefender - a free AV for the *NIX platform which comes from my favourite AV company BitDefender.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You can get a free license for Personal use, by signing up at their site - there's a link called Request Free License..

HiAccording to me you give AVG free a try. It is available for both windosw and linux. As you might already know it is very reliable. I have noticed that you are also looking for a firewall software. I guess ZoneAlarm Firewall may slove your problem, I am not sure about its price though.

Gosh .. all those new words .. lol .. newayz .. i went to the klam and bitdefender sites .. checked out plus and minus points of both .. so i guess i'd have to go with klam .. but the site / companyu seems a little unreliable .. i duno maybe its just me or the website design .. m still on the search .. so lets seee :unsure: thankx for your inputs..RegardsDhanesh.

The first question is : do you want a free antivirus, or a commercial one ?For commercial purposes, I would suggest to buy Mc Afee.For the free ones, i would use AVG for Linux.I would not say that there is no virus in Linux. How do you login to your Linux machine ? If you log in as root, the viruses will destroy your whole system.If you log in as a standard user, that standard user will be infected by viruses, worms and other things. A standard user has to have access to it's malbox and contact list, so a webmail virus will have no problem your your linux account.And all the viruses that change your internet settings will work the same way. And all php things will work under Linux the same way as on a ms-dos machine.So, I would say the following :If you have a Linux machine just for fun and have nothing important on it, you no antivirus.If you have your personal files on your Linux computer and don't want to re-install it every month, you need an anti-virus.

yordan .. thats really confusing :unsure: .. i have JUST started using linux .. and most of the time i dont know what m doing .. and all that i see is a blank screen ( i tried messing with the GFX drivers) .. so i have to re-install and stuff ... well yes i do have personal and important files on my computer .. and the only reason i took linux seriousely was cause of virus and security .. I can be a freek when it comes to security.

What u said about root and secondary user is fine .. but what if m the root ? cause making a secondary user and things not working in it unless giving rights etc is complete advance linux. What i was looking for was a Stable .. Reliable .. Cheap/Affordable/Free .. version of an antivirus cum firewall.

Regards

Dhanesh.

Hello People!These days im workin on Linux Firewall :unsure: Avast Antivirus for linux is one of the most *bottom* kicking software these days. I use ClamAV which is an Open Source virus scanner, it works great.For email programs like Kmail, Sylpheed and webservers like apache there are plugins/modules for.So that you can scan your mail with it. For outgoing as for incoming. Even filescan of your harddrive works.It is available for Linux, but also for windows (and works with outlook) But Avast these days is on the TOP.Lets see what they say "avast! for Linux/Unix Servers features an antivirus suite, which integrates the avast! antivirus kernel, and is designed to be used on a UNIX-like operating systems. The suite consists of a command-line scanner, resident scanner running as a daemon and a client for accessing the resident scanner."Antivirus kernelThe antivirus kernel of avast! For Linux is identical to the one for Windows systems, which means that all high-end features typical in an AV kernel for Windows, are included in Linux version too. The latest version of avast! antivirus kernel features outstanding detection abilities, together with high performance. You can expect 100% detection of In-the-Wild viruses (viruses already spreading between users) and excellent detection of Trojan horses with minimum of false positives. The kernel is certified by ICSA Labs; it frequently takes part in the tests of Virus Bulletin magazine, often yielding the VB100 award. As avast! for Windows , avast! engine for Linux features outstanding unpacking support too. It can scan inside almost same number of archives as under Windows, with exception of MAPI, CAB, ACE, CHM, 7ZIP and NTFS streams. Following archives can be scanned: ARJ, ZIP, MIME (+ all associated formats), DBX (Outlook Express archives), RAR, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2, ZOO, ARC, LHA/LHX, TNEF (winmail.dat), CPIO, RPM, ISO, and SIS. It also supports a number of executable packers (such as PKLite, Diet, UPX, ASPack, FSG, MEW etc.). ---------------Dhanesh---------------So i'd say go for Avast Its Free and stable.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Panda Antivirus for Linux is an antivirus for Linux servers and desktops. It is an antivirus designed to be managed from the command line or console. To do this, an executable called PAVCL will be used. The aim of Panda Antivirus for Linux is to scan and disinfect Windows and DOS workstations connected to a Linux server, as well as the Linux server itself.