xisto Community
Vyoma

I Think I Am Going To Loose My Adsense Account Some fool clicke on it like there was no tomorrow.

OK guys. I think I am going to loose my Adsense Account. I was always paranoid about it, and so, when I started my site WiseTome, I saw to it that before even I put Adsense on it, I have somethings to monitor what is going on. I even set it up so that it gets disabled whenever I log in - that way, I do not click on it by mistake. But I never really thought of what use it would really be even if I get to know there have been unnatural clicks on the Adsense ads. I was going through the logs and this is what I found out:

Time Stamp	IP   HostJul 15 8:29   IP1  IP2Jul 15 8:28   IP1  IP2Jul 15 8:24   IP1  IP2Jul 15 8:23   IP1  IP2Jul 15 8:19   IP1  IP2Jul 15 8:19   IP1  IP2
IP1 and IP2 are actual IPs, but I have not put them due to forum policies.

As you can see these are continous log entries into the adsense click logs.

Thats it I think. I am a goner now. I need to look at other options of monetizing from ad-space on my site.

Write back to Google immediately with your log - telling them someone's trying to get you out of the game :unsure:It works.. if you give them the logs. Also, make sure you ban that IP from your cPanel.Just write to Google and see what they've got to say. Worst comes to worst, you'd loose it anyways - so why not give it a shot ?

I did that just now.

miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG, I think I was doing that when you were typing the post. I just wrote to Google Adsense with all the logs, and explained to them that I had no intent of doing any foul play. I am not even sure who did it.

First I had doubts that it was because of my collegues who browsed my site sitting behind a proxy. But I am not sure. That IP in the 'IP' heading or the 'host' heading matches our proxy. It definetly must be some one who either did not know what he was doing, or someone who knew a lot more than that and systematically went <- snipped -> (I mean, I am not sure, but can someone be dumb enough to go on clicking systematically on all ads thinking those are links going to internal webpages? ).

As you say miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG, worst comes worst, it definetly is worth a shot.

Huh. Anyway, do you have any idea of which other Ad-Providers I can try? I may use them at begining, but in the near future, I am thinking of directly selling the spaces to advertisers.}

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

do they really pay you?

I heard that they pay some cents for each thousand clicks ! So, you must have a very interesting site, visited by a lot of different people, in order to have enough money for having a coffee !

That is if you are displaying pay-per-impression ads. Those are put on web sites with a lot of traffic. On the other hand, there are pay-per- <- snipped -> You get some money every time someone clicks on them.BTW Vyoma, what have you been using to create that log? I find that to be a very useful tool. Or is it something already provided, but I don't know about it?}

The logs that I have used is due to a module in Drupal. It is called the Adsense module. It places ads. After few configurations, you can have it record the clicks on the ads. The logs are stored in the database, and so, I do not think that creating such a log would be quite cumbersone as one would face if one is writing to a file. I get it neatly inserted to the database table, that is retrieved through a query or something like that.

I studied the code of the Module and it not anything that can be considered as rocket science.

If you want to have a look, try the following URL: https://www.drupal.org/project/adsense

You can driectly download it from this URL: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Once you unzip it to the folder, check the adsense.module file. It is a PHP and should open in any text editor. Then, if you know PHP, you should be able to see how the clicks are tracked.

Well good luck with that...I would like to try AdSense in the future, but first I would like to build my site and get higher traffic.Also, I have heard many negative stories about the service... Maybe by the time I start it, there will be a more secure system in place. It seems too easy for someone to sabotage your account by clicking your ads.

I have suggested to the Google people that they can wire it into the system so that when someone clicks on a ad from a particular ad unit, it should be turned off for that IP for a particular amount of time. Even if it is not turned off, the click should not be awarded by any monetary gains. That way, both the advertiser does not loose money, and neither does a Publisher get accused of foul play when a rival does such an act.I am not sure if Google would act on this, but it seems logical to me. On the other hand, who am I to say? I do not even know the amount of resources such a system would consume and is Google capable of doing it.

I do not even know the amount of resources such a system would consume and is Google capable of doing it.

This is called brain-storming, and your suggestions are really excellent. So far as implementation goes, it is completely upto Google. The matter must be brought into Google's notice as anyday anybody can be a victim of someone's foul play. So, Google must resist such act.
***** EDIT *****
Anyway, one more question to know, have you been paid by Google for those clicks?
Edited by sid.calcutta (see edit history)

Now that you ask sid.calcutta, I went and checked up in my Google Adsense account and pulled out a report. It does not seem like there are any clicks recorded on the Jul 5 by the Google. I am not sure if they have removed it or what has happened. And it has been about more than a day and a half since I sent that mail. I have not got any relply from them, and neither have I been denied access of my Google Adsense account page.

I do not know what to make out of it. It is a pretty anxious situation for me, because I was really hoping on this working out. I think I need to wait and see.

Based on whatever I have learnt so far since your post regarding Google Adsense Account I want to summerise it here:1. It appears that Google may have already implemented your proposal to avoid click fraud, or to handle cases like newbies double-clicking or visitors clicking successively on the same Ad because of a time-delay in opening the Advertiser's site.2. Your site will be reviewed manually by the Adsense staff before making any decision.4. If you have a clean site that converts well for Advertisers as well, you are not going to be banned due to the click attacks alone.And now, since you can access the Adsense Accounts and if regular Ads are displayed thereon, I think there is no reason to worry right at this moment. Regards,Sid

Edited by sid.calcutta (see edit history)

Well, I do not have my Google Adsense account terminated yet. I almost got a heart attack few minutes back because I came over to a net cafe to check my site and there was no site of the Google Ads. They were not even present at the other place I put it - at my blog.Then I figured out that there were some security settings, that once I changed, the ads started to comeback again. Yes, sid.calcutta. I do not think I need to be worried about it now. The only thing that concerns me is that I have not yet got a reply from them for the mail I sent.

Sorry for the double post, but I have an update.

As you all know I have been a bit worried about not getting reply from the Adsense people for the mail I sent regarding the detection of few fraudulant clicks on the Adsense Ads placed on my site. I had sent them the log details showing the clicks on the Ads.

Well, I think I need not worry about my account getting cancelled for now, because I did get a reply from them.

It is as follows:

Hello xxxxxxxx,
Thank you for bringing this information to our attention. We have noted
your input and will continue to monitor the situation. Unfortunately,
because IP addresses can be allocated from various sources, and due to the
fact that valid clicks may be blocked as a result, we are not able to
block IP addresses provided by publishers.

In the future, we may adjust your payment for any days during which
invalid clicks occurred in order to protect the integrity of the AdSense
program and properly credit advertisers for any invalid activity. However,
due to the proprietary nature of our technology we cannot disclose any
specific details about these clicks.

Thank you for your understanding.

For additional questions, we encourage you to visit the AdSense Help
Center (https://support.google.com/adsense/), our complete resource center
for all AdSense topics. Alternatively, feel free to post your question on
the forum just for AdSense publishers: the AdSense Help Group
(http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/).

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxx

The Google AdSense Team

Well, the Google AdSense Team sure took their own time, and I am sure they were scrutenizing my site like anything. I hope I have come out clean.

Damn, if you're worried about this, I should probably sign off right now ^^Did you get paid for your Ads yet? Because I've read a bit in the Google Adsense Groups and there loads of users complaining that Google sent them off because of "click fraud" right after they reached the 100 dollar (get paid) mark. I know that I sometimes clicked my own ads, mostly in the first days (to see how much money this generates and sometimes because I really WAS interested, my homepage is about my topic of interest of course). And I logged on with the same IP to the AdSense Homepage for verification etc. ^^I would like to hear your opinion, do you think Google will just bounce me off as fraudulent and not give me the money? Do you think they explicitly control your website and examine all the IPs and patterns, to whether they are fraudulent? Do you think they use robots? Or is it even simpler and they just say "A click rate above 3% (or whatever) has to be fraud"?And while we're on the topic, do you know any better Adsense-programs, that are not known for not paying out?At least 1 friend of mine didn't get paid because his site's users were trying to be supportive and clicked a lot.And there are a lot of angry rants in the Google Groups, but of course these are few compared to the number of quiet customers.So, who knows how this works?