xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Which CMS Is The Most Compatible With SEO ?

Hello,

I've been thinking lately about using a CMS for my next Website. I've refrained from using them since I felt they restricted me in some ways, but my new site doesn't really require all that much configuration, and I believe a CMS would suit it perfectly.

But my concern right now is whether CMSes are Search Engine Optimizable. A lot of the CMSes I've seen in action append pages with non-SEOed URLs, such as ?page=u282 or ?index=11-02-06 and the like.

And so my question is, which of the CMSes available supports SEOed URLs, such as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, whether inherently or using mods or hacks?

I'd very much appreciate any and all of your input and comments regarding this. Even if the information you provide is a little off-topic, I'm sure it'll help me understand something I didn't fully understand, or know something I never even knew :unsure:

Best Regards,

Dr. Tamer Aly

Well, in my opinion Wordpress is one of those CMS systems which supports "permalinks".
Permalinks are hacks, that display link to post as regular "/category/topicname.html" type and search engine can easier follow them... And in fact, for real there is no such file on server, because all is in mysql database...
Anyway, wordpress can be found and obtained here

But, you should check for other CMS systems such as Mambo Joomla, or something like that, because Wordpress is more blog-a-like cms, and Im not sure that you want that...? :unsure:

I think I understand what you have been saying isMohbam. I have been using Drupal as CMS, and I did not realize that it was using a ?q=something kind of structure to get to all the pages. I then used the mod_rewrite option by checking the clean URL check box and I get a better URL. But I do not think it is as good as the WordPress one because, I get things like mysitename.com/node/1 or mysitename.com/node/5These things before I checked the clean URL, I was getting mysitename.com/?q=node/1 and mysitename.com/?q=node/5I know that with the clean URL checked, it is better for SEO, but I am not sure if it is better enough.But I am not worried that much about SEO, 'cause I chose Drupal for its other features that I intend to use extensively.

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

But, you should check for other CMS systems such as Mambo Joomla, or something like that, because Wordpress is more blog-a-like cms, and Im not sure that you want that...? :unsure:

Thank you for the lovely information, finaldesign. I've seen the phrase permalink a lot in blogs, but I never remembered to check what it's for :P

But you got it right, I'm actually interested more in a complete CMS not just a blog. But the information you've given me helps a lot.

Thank you :D.

These things before I checked the clean URL, I was getting mysitename.com/?q=node/1 and mysitename.com/?q=node/5

I know that with the clean URL checked, it is better for SEO, but I am not sure if it is better enough.

Yeah, Vyoma, this is good for Search Engine friendliness, but like you said, it wouldn't help much with the Search Engine Ranking. And unfortunately, I have to worry about SEO ;)

But at least, your suggestion is a good step along the way. Thank you, Vyoma :D

Not a problem isMobham. Now, if I could figure out what more is required to be shown up in the URL to improve the Search Engine Ranking, I might aswell start working on it. May be I should discuss it over at the Drupal groups but I am not sure.

Anyway, is not having /node/1 better than /?q=node/1 ? What more can be done in terms of SEO. Could someone please throw some light on it, please? I am not very sure of these SEO tatics.

Edit:

Ok. I just discovered something more. I think Drupal already has a solution for it. Check out this documentation for Drupal: https://www.drupal.org/node/15365

I followed those things, and it allows us to rename the URL when posting the content. That means that, I can have the permalink kind of URLs for my posts, so that they are SEO friendly, right?

For example, my About Page looked something like this: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Now, after doing all the things said in Drupal, and then going and naming that node URL as "about", I can access it easily by the following URL: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

That way, I can name all the URLs so that they contain the title of the article, and there by search engine can find them easily, right?

Boy, now I have quite some work to do. I have to name all the articles, and resubmit the Google Sitemap.

Edit 2:

OK. Things are happening quite fast. Earlier in this post I said that one cannot automatically generate these SEO freindly permalink kind of URLs in Drupal and you had to give them all manually by hand as you created each node of the content. I think I have to swallow my words becase I found a Module (not a core Module, but an extra-installable Module) that can do just that: https://www.drupal.org/node/17345

It can generate path aliases automatically when no explicit alias is provided by the user. The Module for Drupal 4.6 had some problems but the same for Drupal 4.7 has been fixed.

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

That's perfect, Vyoma. Thank you incredibly so much :D

Now I'm going to take a closer look at Drupal, to see whether it suits my needs. I also think we can safely assume that all the major CMSes offer such functionality, in one form or another.

Again, thank you so very much. Best Regards :unsure:

I actually have to thank you isMobham. I have learned a lot about Drupal today on the pretext of getting information that I can put up on this thread. I even learned a thing or two about SEO. And over that, my site too has now become SEO friendly by having better and cleaner URL.

I though have to check out the Pathauto Module of Drupal. I do not have access to Xisto's Admin Panel from the present network. I would be getting that module installed and checking it out by the end of this week when I can try from else where. Will let you all know what I come up with when using that Module.

And isMobham, I think you should take a closer look at Drupal. Till now, I have found almost all the features that I wanted in Drupal.