xisto Community
WeaponX

Problems Installing Vista

I just got a hold of Vista from my friend. He downloaded it from the Microsoft site and burned it on a DVD for me. Since I just installed VMware recently, I wanted to give Vista a try. So far it's only been giving me headaches.I've been getting all kinds of errors...most likely related to the amount of disk space I allocated for the install or the memory assigned. Well, I gave it all I got today. I set VMware to give it 15GB of hard drive space and 512MB of memory. It seems to work. Got up to the copying files and after a short file it gave me an error code 80070241. I googled this and see everyone mentioning that it's a bad download or the DVD disc is scratched. I doubt either of these is the case here. If it's bad, I would think that it would freeze me in the same spot each time.What else could be wrong here?Thanks.

do the md5sums match ?

some DVD readers can't even boot certain DVDs. For example, on my desktop, it has difficulty booting the Vista DVD I burnt, but on my laptop, it boots it then crashes because my laptop is far from reaching the minimum specifications (Intel Pentium III)xboxrulz

Can I check the md5sum from the DVD instead of a single ISO file?It could read the DVD from what I see. It was causing all sorts of problems since it needed more memory allocated to it in VMware and also more hard drive space...both of which I gave it. This is now the furthest I have gotten and this error shows up now :unsure:

@CyberReaper, I think it's already in an ISO file format for the public to download. The license expires in about one year (next year around June/July). This promotion is over already from what I read. I just checked to make sure...they took the page down saying they have reached the limit of users they wanted. You can probably get this from someone else you know that might have downloaded this already. But you will need to get a keycode from Microsoft...I'm sure they stopped that service also by now. So see if you can get another one from someone who's not using Vista or have an extra one they requested from Microsoft.

I'm not sure if you really want to get this at all :unsure: I went through the install like 7 times now and each time it's failing. The problem I had earlier might have something to do with the amount of memory and hard drive space I allocated for it. This "should" probably be the minimum specs to run on your computer:

Hard Drive space = 15GB

Memory/RAM = 512MB

Most users are installing Vista directly on it's own partition, but I was using VMware, so I had to allocate these manually. For you, try running the Vista Upgrade Advisor before you even attempt to get it from someone as it may have issues for some users:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Would use this myself...but don't know how in VMware :D

I got the furthest last week when I tried to install it again. During like 50% of the installation, an error message 80070241 popped up. This seems to be a common issue when I plugged it into Google for a search.

If this image is bad, why would it freeze/abort in different places? My friend actually installed his already and it's working fine. I will try to mount the DVD as an image on my hard drive and install from there to see if it works.

This is a common problem with the dvd iso image. I have read so many times that it will not boot or if it does install completely it will fail to boot into Vista. The explanation seems to be that the dvd image is corrupt, you shouldn't get any errors, and given that time is money, paying 11 bucks for a Microsoft manufactured DVD is a better option.For those using vmware hard disk files, you should have better success. NB Microsoft Virtual PC only supports DVD images up to 2.2GB in size and the Vista Beta 2 image is around 3.5GB If you try Microsoft Virtual Server however, this supports the Vista DVD, but don't even think of trying to run Vista unless you have at least 512mb allocated for the emulated machine.

I still didn't do anything on this yet. Don't have time to rip the DVD image and try to install it from the hard drive. But yes, I definitely agree. You will need at least 512MB of memory if you want to run it under VMWare. It wouldn't even go into the install stage if you have less than that.Got a copy of that Microsoft Virtual PC when I heard that Microsoft made it free to the public. Didn't know it supported only 2.2GB :D Still haven't got a chance to play with that also.I will let you guys know what happens on ripping the DVD as an ISO and installing Vista from there.

Problem Installing Vista

Problems Installing Vista

I am trying to reinstall Vista onto my computer and so far it's been a disaster. It works up as far as 'Completing installation'...Then the screen goes black and all you can see is the cursor.

It shouldn't be a problem with the computer specs as it came with Vista already installed and the disk I'm using is the one that came with the computer so it's legit. Any ideas??