xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
honeycomb

What's The Best CMS CMS or not CMS?, that is the question

Xoops and Mambo are my favorite Content Management Systems.You can adapt booth systems like you want.

please could someone give me a more specific opinion on which one is better?
(mambo vs xoops)

i am currently using xoops but i don't really like some of the ...way they do stuff, e.g. the modules and themes/skins are limited (tell me if they're better than any other CMS's) and i want to know if mambo or any other one is better

Haven't used Xoops but I love Mambo. For a general CMS, Mambo is the best while other CMS's may be better for specific uses.The Mambo templates are about 95% HTML so editing new templates is very easy for you own look. Additionally, there are more templates availible than you could ever fully try out so tweaking one of those may be your answer.Much of the site layout can be controled without the need to modify the template or CSS. Editing the CSS and images will also provide a more unique look.Mambo has a full open source project development site where new components, modules, and bots are being added everyday. Addtionally, there are several websites that offer new and modified components, modules, and bots free of charge as well as a few commercial sites that sell new modifications.Mambo developers have already written several bridges for many applications such as SMF and phpBB bulletin board scripts.Hope this helps a little. :Dvujsa

Xaraya is a very flexible CMS which also comes with many different modules.It is quite easy to use but still requires a MySQL RDBMS.I personally think that Xaraya is currently one of the best CMS available on the free market.Could not use it because I wanted to use PostgreSQL as RDBMS. And some of the modules (user management for instance) could not work correctly with PostgresSQL.What a disappointement!

I tested Tiki with MySQL and TikiPro with PostgreSQL.The systems are quite good but are storing their special Wiki sequences in the DB. Your text in the DB can therefore only be used by Wiki systems, since it the Wiki sequences must be first interpreted.An another problem is the static export. You may only export the whole wiki part of the site as static HTML files!

The CMS, I choosed to store information, is Drupal.Drupal has a good taxonomy system which is easy to use.they are currently trying to support PostgreSQL (and not only MySQL) and my system is currently running with PostgreSQL 8 on Windows. I still have some problems (corrections to do manually in the DB) but I am very happy with this CMS.

I had to get static html files to upload on my ISP site.The best CMS that I found for that is Apache Forrest with Open Office files.I write my text in Open Office Writer (something like MS Word) files, can re-use part of it in another files (through the OO sections), could insert so text from a DB (but not doing it), ....With Apache Forrest (based on Apache Cocoon), I can check dynamically the results and then export into static html files.It is a very simple system which, because of Cocoon, may be later EXPANDED.i am really satisfied of the results.

I've never really had a problem with nuke, and IMHO, it just keeps getting better with every version that they realease....

Some of the features that I like:

Ease of adding content through programmer created modules.

Nice Layout

Ability to offer different skins.

Multilingual Abilities.

Ease of putting it online.

The only drawbacks that I see:

Not being able to turn off the security code verification.

The more that you put in a module, the longer the url gets to be.

Those are just my opinion. I have been using PHPNuke for about three years now, and have been satisfied with it so far...

-William

Can't say enough good things about Drupal, really. Just so easy to install, and it has absolutely everything I need! I haven't yet had to open a PHP file to insert a new feature, because there are modules for almost anything you can dream of! You should really check out Drupal, and if anyone is wanting to try out Drupal, contact me, as I have some suggestions for various modules and other little pointers.

Some things I really like about Drupal:

• Everything is a node. Maybe this is a bit of a programmer's POV, but I really like how everything is object-oriented in approach. I mean, a blog post inherits all the properties of the main node class (theoretically, I don't think it actually works like this programming-wise), and so does every other piece of content on your website (except maybe comments, but even forums/topics/messages are considered nodes). You can also create new nodes using the Content Construction Kit (CCK), and then make your own dynamic pages using the Views module.

It is really easy to make your own templates to fit in with the rest of the site. The site lets you define special regions, which can be given "blocks" (that you can create yourself with Views) without doing any programming, but by only using the administrator interface. Besides, you can choose from a number of different templating engines (I've been looking for ages for a CMS that supports Smarty for ages until I found Drupal).

The variety of modules let you use your CMS for anything you need, and nothing more. The built-in taxonomy module is great for categorization, and even though the forums module is a bit lacking, the image gallery is great, and so is the blogs module that lets each of your website's users (or the ones you choose) create their own blogs.

I cannot really say much about other CMS because I have not used any other than Drupal. I followed seec77's advice (in some other thread), and went ahead and installed Drupal. My needs were really basic, as I am just starting my site, and I found that Drupal was not at all bloated with all the features. I think, this is one of the major advantage of using Drupal. I comes along many modules - thirty one (in Drupal 4.7.2) to be precise. Out of them, few basic things are required for running the engine:blockfilternodesystemuserwatchdogThere are other 25 modules, and I just enabled only those that I needed (as simple as checking a check-box). Thats it. All the other things just did not appear anywhere else, and everything else was clutter free from what was not required.Even installing a module was real easy. I wanted an ad placing module, and Adsense served my puprose - integrating the module to Drupal, was just placing the module file in the module directory and running one php - I do not think it can get more simple than that.I feel I have a lot to explore in Drupal, but I can say that it is good. (I do not know if it is best). Hey seec77, how do I contact you regarding this? Or should we discuss about it at the CMS->Drupal section of the forum?

I'd have to go with mambo or e107. Both are very reliable, and fast loading.Although, e107 tends to involve mroe freeware things...Like skins for example, and is slightly faster on the loading. Plus easier to use, atleast for me.

e107 involves free things because Mambo isn't that popular as before. A big part of the peole who worked on Mambo CMS moved to work on Joomla! CMS, which is an open source project. That's because Mambo was supposed to become a paid for program. I don't know how it all ended, but Joomla! is one of the best CMSes out there, in my opinion.

Hi, people.
This is my first post... and, i want to answer you

What is the best CMS?

i thinked in make a poll, but i don't know all the CMS, so the poll won't be useful.

so... That's the questiĂłn:
what is the best CMS for you?

bye!

Notice from vujsa:
Merged this topic with existing topic

Hey seec77, how do I contact you regarding this? Or should we discuss about it at the CMS->Drupal section of the forum?

I think we should discuss this on CMS->Drupal so that if we're on to any valuable information, we'll be able to share it with the public. If you have any specific questions just post a thread there (and PM me a link :() and I'll answer. I feel like writing a Drupal Module Guide. I think I'll start working on that. If anyone is interested, PM me or contact me through MSN (check my profile).