xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vicky99

Removing Red Eye Effect

Dear friendsYou might have faced the same problem what I had faced couples of day before. I bought a new digital camera and I took some photographs of my friends and family. But when I transferred these photographs to my computer I saw most of the images were ruined because the colour of the eyes of person in the photographs turned red. I never saw such thing. I took internets help and found out that its called red eye effect. I thereafter found out a way to rectify there images. The process to rectify red eye effect using Adobe Photoshop is outlined below:-1. Open the image in Adobe PhotoShop. (Any version).2. Go to Image in the Toolbar.3. There After choose the duplicate image option from the menu and close the original image.4. Now zoom the eye section of the duplicate image as much as possible.5. Now create a new layer. Select the original color of the eye using the eyedropper tool. 6. Using the paintbrush tool paint over the red part of the eye. Be careful do not paint over the eye lids.7. Then go to Filter in the Toolbar. Choose Blur Menu thereafter choose Gaussian Blur. Give 1 pixel blur to soften the edges.8. Now go to layer in the toolbar.9. Choose layer style and the choose Blending option.10. Now adjust the underlying layer using the slider given.Now, I guess, we are done and the red eye effect is removed. If you have any problem or query regarding the method I explained please fell free to ask me. Bye..

A common request I hear is "How do get rid of 'red eye' in my photographs?" The red eye you sometimes see in peoples eyes in photographs (which is actually becoming less common since many cameras now incorporate an anti-red eye feature) is actually caused by light reflected off the retinas. The best advice I can give you is to avoid red eye from happening entirely. An easy way to do that—besides buying a camera with anti-red eye technology—is to (if you have a detachable flash or an alternate means of lighting) move the flash away from the lens of the camera. That way, if the persons eyes reflect the light from the flash, it'll be reflected back toward the flash and not into the lens of the camera, thereby negating the red eye effect entirely. However, if the picture has already been taken, and you're holding an image of someone that's gazing back at you with those spooky red eyes, how do you get rid of it? Thankfully, Photoshop makes this process very easy:Since you're using the color replacement tool to replace the red in the eyes with another color—black—leave the Mode set to Color.You can specify if the color in an image should be continually replaced as you drag the brush around, or on a click-by-click basis by selecting an option from the Sampling pull-down menu. In this case, specify that you want the colors to be replaced while you're dragging the brush around by clicking the sampling menu and selecting Continuous.You can also set how Photoshop should treat the other colors around where you're clicking by choosing an option from the Limits menu. Because you want Photoshop to change the color of the image that's only right underneath the brush tip, choose Contiguous from the limits pull-down menu.Lastly, you can also specify how sensitive Photoshop is when replacing colors. The higher the Tolerance, the more colors will be replaced as you drag your brush around. Conversely, the lower the tolerance, the fewer colors will be replaced. For this exercise, leave the tolerance set to its default, 30%.Once you've set all of the color replacement tool options, you can start removing that red eye.As you can see in the following image, it can help your accuracy if you zoom into the image to around 300 to 400%. Then, all you have to do is simply drag the color replacement tool around the red in the red eye.Theres a Software Fireworks MX 2004 it has a new tool for removing the "red-eye effect" on photographs. The Red-eye Removal tool works by removing all the shades of red within a certain range that are within the selected area. These shades of red will be replaced by a neutral color range of gray and black.There are Options in it like size shape Tolerence strength.Size: The size setting controls the size of the tool cursor. You can set the size of the cursor between 1 - 100 via the slider. The default size for the Red-eye Removal tool is 13. Shape: The shape setting controls the shape of the tools cursor. Choose between square or round. The default shape for the Red-eye Removal tool is round. Tolerance: The tolerance setting determines the range of hues to be replaced (0 replaces only red; 255 replaces all hues that contains red). The default tolerance for the Red-eye Removal tool is 32. Strength: The strength setting determines the darkness of the colors that replace the red pixels. The default strength for the Red-eye Removal tool is 25.

Shouldn't be this in tutorial section?

Anyway, I don't like much this way of removing the red eye. The best way in my opinion in doing it is:

Image setup:

1. Open your imaging program (usually Photoshop, but probably works the same way in GIMP, Paint Shop Pro, etc.).

2. Open the picture in which you want to remove the red eye.

3. Duplicate the Background layer that contains the photo (this is for avoiding mistakes).

4. Work on the duplicated layer.

Brush Setup:

5. Select the Brush tool.

6. Set the brush blending method to Color.

7. Select as the main color for the brush any shade of white/grey/black. Make sure its Hue value is zero or almost zero.

8. Set the brush opacity value to around 80%.

9. Make sure you're using a hard brush tip. Hard brushes do not have soft edges. While this is not really necessary makes it work better.

Actual Work

10. Zoom the image about 400-800% to make your job easier and more precise.

11. Paint over the red eyeball until it's fully grey/black.

12. In case you zoom the image out and you think it's looking too bright, you can select the Burn tool, set mode to Shadows, its opacity to around 20% and paint a little until you're satisfied with it. Keep in mind that overdoing this may make your photo look unnatural.

That's it, basically.

You can even remove red eye using the Microsoft Office Picture manger. It comes along with microsoft Office. To fix red eye:1. Select the picture you want to work with. 2. Make sure the folders that contain the pictures you want to work with are displayed in the Picture Shortcuts pane. If the folders aren't listed, add them to the pane.3. In the Picture Shortcuts pane, under Picture Shortcuts, click Add Picture Shortcut.Browse to the folder that contains the pictures you want to work with.Click Add.Select the folders containing the pictures you want to work with. 4. In the Picture Shortcuts list, do one of the following:To work with pictures in one folder, select the folder.To work with pictures in multiple folders that are next to each other, select the first folder in the group, hold down SHIFT, and then select the last folder in the group.To work with pictures in multiple folders that are not next to each other, select one folder, hold down CTRL, and then select each additional folder you want to work with.When multiple folders are selected, all the pictures from the selected folders are displayed in their current sort order in the preview pane.5. Select the picture you want to work with. If you're working in Filmstrip view, click the picture. If you're working in Single Picture view, the picture is selected by default. To move the selection, click Next or Previous . Note You can't fix red eyes using Thumbnail view.On the Formatting toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), click Edit Pictures. In the Edit Pictures task pane (task pane: A window within an Office application that provides commonly used commands. Its location and small size allow you to use these commands while still working on your files.), under Edit using these tools,click Red Eye Removal.Click all the red eyes you want to fix. If you want to clear the eye markers, click Reset Selected Eyes.When you are ready to make the correction, click OK.

Quick and dirty way to reduce redeye in Photoshop:-Duplicate the layer (if you want to preserve the original image)-Select one pupil area where the red is showing with the lasso tool-Hit CTRL+U on a PC or Open Apple + U on a Mac-This brings up hue and saturation. Select to change just the reds (instead of "Master")-Drop the saturation and lightness down till you think the photo looks good-Repeat for each eyeThis gets tedious for a photo with a ton of people, but relatively short and simple way to get a quick Myspace or facebook photo worked out. Those other methods probably work just as well or better.