xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lenbot

A Couple Of Questions About Your Service that only the elite few can answer

Hello all! I have noticed that the last approved account was on July 3 or 4th. It is now the 22 I wanted to know what was going on with that and I am sure some others do as well. I also read some where that you need something like 50 posts to get the service, I was unaware of this situation. I wouldn't have posted anything in that case. I like to write lengthy responses that make sense and are thorough so in 5 posts I recieved 36. points. Now normally it wouldn't bother me to continue up to 50, but I read somwhere that it doesn't matter how many points you have say 30 - 3000 that when you create the website you wipe all the points down to 3. I find this absurd since I would have something like 400 points before I got up to 50. If a website costs 400 Points, put that up don't lie by saying you want a minimum of 30 if you really want us to have a high amount before you grant a website request. I do not know how long it takes for anyone to review a request but I have seen it take a day to grant a request so what's the hold up now. If your going to deny, deny and say why so. So they can adjust what ever you want from them.Its just my opinion, great service and all but I feel like I am left in the dark about what's going on. It seems you say one thing when you really mean another.Cheer-Lenbot

As for the time it takes the admins to reply to some request, it really varies. This is a free service, so it is somewhat adjusted to the free time available in real life. Nevertheless, applications that are based on quality posts will usually be accepted rather fast.The thing you read about 50 posts is a lie. Nothing at Xisto is based on posts, only credits. So, if you make one long posts that brings you 30 credits, you can apply for the second package. As for reducing the hosting credits to three after aproval, it makes sense if you think better. Someone could post here for months without losing credits, and then apply and have enough credits to stay inactive for a long period. That's why reducing them is necessary.

Well, dispite not having any idea of how the system works here, you managed to get hosting. :(Sorry for the delay in hosting approval. The owner of this site also has three other hosting sites to manage. He is constantly upgrading the services he offers on the various servers. The most recent upgrade of the firewall caused some difficulties for him. Basically, the new firewall is so much better that he had to modify the scripts that automate the hosting activation system as well as some of the other hosting account maintenance scripts.Not only was fixing the system time consuming but it is a good idea not to approve a bunch of hosting requests if there is a problem with the activation scripts.We seem to be plagued with old posts that provide inaccurate informtion about the hosting system here. If you could tell us where you read the 50 post article, it would be helpful.There was a time early in the website's life that the system was based on number of posts which was problematic to say the least. People would come and blast the site with one-liners and expect hosting. Nt only did we have very few approved hosting requests, we had a lot of junk posts to get rid of. A new script was written to calculate the size of each post and award credits based on that. Now the number of posts made makes absolutely no impact on the number of credits you have other than the fact that you can only gain a maximum of 10 credits per post. As for your hosting credits being reset to 3 when you activate your account, I don't really have an explaination for that. I think it is so that you will get in the habit of posting on a regular basis. If you continue to post large articles then you'll soon find yourself with a surplus of credits. I recently switched jobs and wasn't able to post much for about 4 months so I really took a hit in my credits. I was down to round 70 credits. :( Finally back to 100 after a couple of weeks of posting. There is an upside to the credit reset. The first 10 credits are easiest to earn. The system prorates the first 10 credits to make it easier to earn credit 1 through 10 than it is from 11 through 30. After 30, you no longer get help in earning credits. 31 credits and up are earned at the normal difficulty level. This is done so that you will be able to maintain enough credits to keep your hosting. We don't want to suspend or delete hosting accounts here. So if you get in a pinch and only have one credit left, you can get back to 10 very very easily.Finally, don't forget that this is an absolutely free web hosting service. An the hosting service is as good as many very expensive paid hosting services. I have found that the posting for hosting works well because I find new ways to improve my website in the forum and many users get a lot of support for their websites in the forums. I would say that the forum acts like the perfect support tool for your website. There is enogh talent here that nearly all questions can be answered in a week if you ask the right question in the right forum.Well congratulations on your new hosting account.vujsa

Thank you on replaying vusja, and thanks to whom ever reviewed my approval process. I just wanted to say that I was an IT admin at one point and know the sorrows of installing upgrading changing and keeping everything working in order. My sympathy to all those who work in this area. Just a note though, I don't want to sound insulent or anything but perhaps a symple line somewhere when logging in stating that were upgrading would be sufficient. It's just a little blurp in the road I know and you provide awesome service for little in return. Just "be all that you can be in Xisto.com"-Lenbot

The first 10 credits are easiest to earn. The system prorates the first 10 credits to make it easier to earn credit 1 through 10 than it is from 11 through 30. After 30, you no longer get help in earning credits. 31 credits and up are earned at the normal difficulty level. This is done so that you will be able to maintain enough credits to keep your hosting. We don't want to suspend or delete hosting accounts here. So if you get in a pinch and only have one credit left, you can get back to 10 very very easily.

Hmm... I didn't know about this. Is this information listed in the annoucement section or the FAQ section? This info does not affect me currently since I have yet to submit a tutorial but in the future, who knows? Hehe... would like more credits for the same amount of work/content... :(

Umm, just a question. Is it going to be harder for me then later on then? As it is, I keep around 15-20 credits, because at times, I just cant get on here to post. Why isn't it the same? At this rate, if I end up losing my internet for a week or so, (due to bill problems), I'm never going to make it anywhere. Sorry, I went off on a tangent, it's not Asta's fault. Just would've been nice to see that somewhere.

Hmm... I didn't know about this. Is this information listed in the annoucement section or the FAQ section? This info does not affect me currently since I have yet to submit a tutorial but in the future, who knows? Hehe... would like more credits for the same amount of work/content... :(

Well, if that is the opinion of all of the members, then I could see if we can have the prorating removed. Of course this means that you would earn credits at the normal (hardest) rate. The prorating was set up so that it would be easier for people to get a hosting account quickly. Like I said, it also makes it easier for people to keep their account active.
You seem to be thinking about this the wrong way. The system DOES NOT get harder with the more credits you earn! The system DOES get easier with the fewer credits that you have.

Umm, just a question. Is it going to be harder for me then later on then? As it is, I keep around 15-20 credits, because at times, I just cant get on here to post. Why isn't it the same? At this rate, if I end up losing my internet for a week or so, (due to bill problems), I'm never going to make it anywhere. Sorry, I went off on a tangent, it's not Asta's fault. Just would've been nice to see that somewhere.

Well, this is just exactly the reason the system was implemented. If you can only seem to keep around 15 to 20 credits now, imagine how hard it would be for you at the normal rate.

Keep in mind that we aren't talking about a major cahnge in the way you aern credits. This isn't 2 or 3 times easier under 10, it is more like 30% to 40% easier under 10 credits and maybe 10% to 20% easier between 11 and 30. So on an average post, you might get 3.5 credits instead of 3.

For most of you, the real problem is the size of the posts you make. Everyone gets in such a hurry to finish typing their post that they miss the chance to really rack up some credits. We constantly get these questions from members that offer very little content.
Take the two following questions:

How can I restart my computer without clicking the start button?

Hi, I have a question. My computer has been acting funny lately and it usually works fine after I restart windows. The problem is that I can't click on the start button because the task bar auto hides and sometimes won't unhide. I end up having to turn my computer off then on again. How can I restart my computer without being able to see the start button?

The answer is the same for both questions but is easier to answer for the second question:

Press the window key on the keyboard!

The second question also earned about 15 times as many credits since very very short posts earn hardly any credits.

Well, the good news is that I earned about 3 credits for this post even at the normal (hard) rate. ;)
Need pointers from the best on how to optimize the number of credits you earn, just PM me anytime.

Hope This Helps. :(

vujsa

The second question also earned about 15 times as many credits since very very short posts earn hardly any credits.

Haha... well done, vujsa. :( I will keep that in mind when making new posts...

Well, if that is the opinion of all of the members, then I could see if we can have the prorating removed.

No.. don't remove the prorating. I'm all for the prorating, 100%. When I make my earlier posts, I was just wondering whether this prorating info is on Xisto forum, such as annoucement and FAQ. To me, it is quite an important info to have.

Ok, I understand now. I just thought it was going to be harder the more credits you had. I wouldn't like to see the prorating removed either. I know early on there were lots of topics to chose from, but being new, it took a little while to get used to the system. I think the way it is, it is good for new people because it will give them a little help in boosting credits while getting used to posting. I know I for could probably use some tips on how optimize my posts. I know by just reading this, already I'm getting a little hint.