xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lenbot

Guild Wars Factions MMORPG

Hello all After coming off a year and a bit of playing world of warcraft, I decided what I didn't like about MMORPG's. Though World of Warcraft is great it has some things lacking, such as the fact sitting in Ironforge spaming Looking for group or group looking for one more healer or tank. I highly dislike that since you can spend hours upon hours of just doing that unless you get a guild to stay together for more than a couple of months or have plenty of fun, World of Warcraft can be a drag. Well I traded in a bunch of my xbox games at a local ebgames store and wanted to try out Guild wars. I had play tested it big back in 2004, and this was the expansion so it had to be doing somewhat well to get a expansion, plus it was Free online play. Most of the time you would think if you had Free online play you would get the worse players playing, and usually you get constant spams in that area chat and well perhaps some of you remember the trading area in Diablo II expansion. Ya, agreed it's really not that bad but it can get annoying. Anyways I installed the game and created an account and I have found a new love, Guild Wars Factions. Now this game is hardly perfect, For me I would put it ahead of World of Warcraft because for one thing it offers free online play. Big bonus in my eyes, another thing that I liked right off the bat is that the world is pretty explorable, though I haven't gotten to see any elites mobs yet, I am sure I will eventually but perhaps there not in the game. They do have bosses and have a system built into capture special elite skills from the fallen boss. Of course the bosses only drop some skills and some you might already have from purchasing at a skill trainer but the possibility of elite skill lets allows you to give reason to kill all the bosses in the game. Now since there alot of explorable areas and well you might not have 8 friends to play with, ya you heard me a party can only consist of 8 from what I gathered playing. Thats okay though the game is tough in some parts, but if you don't have 8 friends most towns and areas offer Henchmen for Hire. The Henchmen or hench women don't cost anything other than you share experience with them and gold, though what a NPC for hire would want with gold who knows. There are towns in the game which you can travel to once you have reached them, which is somewhat better than World of Warcraft though that really isn't a problem. Though once you leave the town you are in an instance of your own with your party, so you don't have to worry about being ganked. There are also alot of missions to do along with main story quests to complete. There are also 13 areas in the game that you can if you want beat them on Master which means you must beat it quick and no deaths, which is harder than it sounds. There are also plenty of items to find off mobs, and you can turn them into crafting material so you can craft your next item if you haven't found a better one. The only thing that is really lacking in the game is a economy system. Though prices of craftign materials fluctuat according to supply and demand from the Merchants it is hardly anything compared to Star Wars Galaxies Bazaar's or World of Warcrafts Auction house. That is really only one side of the game though. The idea is to unlock as many skills as possible, most likely you will beat the RPG side of the game first, you can create a character for PVP. I have yet to experience the PVP side of the game yet since I have not completed the RPG side of it. But from what I gather it will be fun. There is a level cap of only 20 though you can continue to gather experience and hit 20 multiple times. The reason for this is that you get Skill points everytime you fill up the 20 bar agian. The skill point allows you to purchase skills from Skill merchants which are found in most major cities. All in all this for me is a game that I can pick up and play and get farther in the game by just simply playing from time to time. Every hour put into the game is worth something, unlike World of Warcraft which like I said you can sit in Iron Forge for 2 hours trying to put a pug together for Upper black rock spire. The visuals in the game are not the best. The system sort of like is Star Wars Galaxies but a little bit better on the texture side of things. Now of course there is also Guilds in Guild Wars factions, though you don't have to be apart of one or you can create on yourself and recruit members. All in all if your looking for a game you can pick up play put down and put away and pick up agian and enjoy I would recommend it. If you really like trading economy systems then I would probably stay away from it because it lacks it terribly. There is probably tons of things I am missing that are in the game that I just forgot to mention but from my experience I would definatly recommend it as a potential Christmas Present or Birthday Present. Happy RPGing to all those gathering experience!Cheers-Lenbot

Guild Wars is a grate game free servers and a world to get out and explore.But compairing it to world of warcraft is like compairing a snail to a car. Wrold of Warcraft beat guild wars in wepons graphics and quest yes its a annoying fee to pay every week but if you got the money why not. If you dont theres always free prviet servers you can play on although most aint very populated. xplay rated guild wars fractions a 4 and world of warcraft a 5 >.> cant beat the facts All and all guild wars is a game worth buying if you cant pay the annoying cost of world of warcraft if youve never played WoW then guild wars will seam like a godly game to you> In my opion it is worth buying

Guild Wars is a grate game free servers and a world to get out and explore.But compairing it to world of warcraft is like compairing a snail to a car. Wrold of Warcraft beat guild wars in wepons graphics and quest yes its a annoying fee to pay every week but if you got the money why not. If you dont theres always free prviet servers you can play on although most aint very populated. xplay rated guild wars fractions a 4 and world of warcraft a 5 >.> cant beat the facts
All and all guild wars is a game worth buying if you cant pay the annoying cost of world of warcraft if youve never played WoW then guild wars will seam like a godly game to you> In my opion it is worth buying

I would have to disagree with you on this subject. I have played WoW and as far as I'm concerned the graphics, game play, and community are much better in GW then WoW. I can afford the monthly fee for WoW and I'll never go back.

The reasons for this are as follows. In my opinion NCSoft and Arena.net are much more customer friendly and if you have a problem they will help you out fast. I remember when I used to play most, if not all, the Blizzard games and when I had a Tech problem I would have to wait forever to get help, also their systems were a breeze to hack and so their games where hacked to no end. With NCSoft and Arena.net they are very adamit about keeping the bots out and they have done a great job doing so.

As for the graphics, IMO its amazing that while GW requires less on the system requirements the graphics are amazing. While in some areas the graphics of WoW might be better, over all the World of Guildwars out does WoW graphically with, as stated before, less system requirements.

Also the way GW works its missions and gaming is better IMO. Instead of having to wait to do certain missions for monsters/mobs to respawn like you have to in some WoW missions you have "Instanced" explorable areas and mission areas in GW. This allows you to do missions without having to worry about beating another party to the punch or having to wait in line to do it. Also with the release of the Second Chapter of the Guildwars Saga being released, Factions, they dropped a lot of new skills, another entire continent full of new missions and objectives.

With the addition of Factions they introduced and ingame Alliance format to allow multiple Guilds to join in Official alliances and interact with each other accordingly. Also they added the abbility to take over towns and do special Elite missions when you do.

On top of all that NCSoft and Arena.net released a "free summer update" last year to the original Prophesies chapter and it looks like they will do the same with Factions. With GW there is planned to be a new Chapter released every year for purchase with a free "update" to be release later in the year. That way the game stays fresh with a content release every six months. Also the way this game is developed you don't have to purchase every chapter to play the next. Say you didn't buy factions, the second chapter, but you want to play chapter 3 when its released next year. Well with GW you don't have to go back and buy Factions just to install and play Chapter 3, you just go buy chapter 3 and install it. Also if you are new to the game and don't want to puchase Phrophesies and Factions just to play the new release, you don't have to. Yes there are advantages to haveing all 3 chapters but its not required.

Well thats my 2 cents...

Some people could just prefer the Guild Wars atmosphere as to World of Warcrafts. Honestly I've never played either, but I can see how both could share a common gaming experience, but they both have differences. Just like comparing quake to doom. Very similiar, but I've played both and found enjoyment out of both. Perhaps one could be a little better, but why not try both?I think with a genre like this, it's just something each individual would just have to try. Everyone doesn't share the same interests in RPG's. I'm a fan of the Warcraft series but I'm also a fan of D&D. You get what you pay for in most cases, but you'll eventually lose interest. That's why there's always a competitor to take the rest of your money.

Guild wars is for the casual gamers that prefer interaction from real people. Its a different kind of game that shouldnt be compared to WoW, because a new category of debate will arise. I believe that WoW does have great gameplay because I have tried it, but it DOES NOT in NO WAY have better graphics, true its trying to have its style of catoony type graphics but they could have at least made the models cleaner, maybe something that is comparable to how "KINGDOM HEARTS 2" cartoony models look.The reason I for one did not jump on the World of Warcraft bandwagon is because the graphics they offered disgusted me. I could not stand playing as a human who looked like he was ARNOLD. If they offered more custimization for your characters I would actually consider playing WoW again, I have tried many MMOs and I think that Star Wars Galaxies has a really good custimization system, where you can acutally call that character your own.It uses a system that only some MMOs have, which is a scaling system where you modifiy how big each part on your body looks. I hate systems where they have premade characters and facials, because sooner or later you would find someone looking exactly like you no matter how large the libarary of custimizations they have. Having the scaling system adds a level of personalization to it.But back to the issue of Guild wars and WoW, Guild wars is probably the best choice for people that cant play MMOs often but enjoys the atmoshere. WoW is mainly for those that are hardcore and can maintain the bills as well as playing consistently. But if it has to come down for me to choose which game I would prefer over the other I would pick Guild Wars, because like I said earlier I prefer playing a game that is beautiful than just average. This is the 21st century I believe, graphics like WoW has been way outdated and needs a upgrade, which I hope they do so that I can maybe join the fun again.If anyone want to play a beautiful game with game play style like WoW I highly reccomend Lineage 2, that game has evolved so much since its release, and continues to evolve every time I check if they updated. One thing that the game lacks would probably the Character Custimization that I described earlier though. But I think that is probably the best MMO to play in terms of experiance, not to mention the BEAUTIFUL enviroments.

I found this review on internet:

"The stand-alone Guild Wars: Factions is the second campaign in ArenaNet's massively multiplayer online RPG, The Factions campaign, which can be played either connected with the regular Guild Wars or as its own separate game. Guild Wars Factions takes place on the continent of Cantha, where new and existing Guild Wars players join an epic quest to defeat an ancient evil and save a war-torn empire. New scored challenge missions and strategic competitive missions allow players to test their roleplaying prowess and earn the right for their alliance to take control of cities, towns and outposts. Large-scale alliance battles pit teams from opposing factions against each other in a struggle to conquer new territory and redraw the battle lines across the continent of Cantha. New elite missions allow the most skilled players exclusive access to areas of the ultimate cooperative challenge."

I might will buy this game. :D

I had a severly disappointing run in with Guild Wars. I just recently bought Guild Wars Nightfall (I had been playing WoW but couldn't really afford to continue subscribing) and was quite excited about the idea of Free online play. So I installed it, got everything set up, started to play and.....then I realized what a big mistake I had made. You see, I'm on dailup. In order for me to get from the tutorial area to the main starting area, it took like an hour to download the information. So, there I sat, for an hour, staring at the stupid download screen. "Oh ok", I thought," Perhaps this is the only time this will happen. It must've had to download quite a bit..." But then it happened again. And whenever I wanted to go to a new area, I'd have to download some more crap, which took an incredible amount of time. In essence, I would play for 10-15 minutes and spend about an hour downloading crap so I could go to the next area. When I tried to go anywhere with another player too, I couldn't because it took so long for my game to download the area and load. Now I could play WoW just fine with my internet connection. Guild Wars though...it gave my connection a good *bottom* kicking. It now has a place on my shelf, covered in dust. I made my way happily back to WoW, and now enjoy playing that game on a ....*cough*....let's just say....not on the official server. :P

Guys guys (and gals ofc)Guild Wars Factions

Guild Wars is a very nice mmo, just like World of Warcraft.

But I have some points here, first of all you ALL need to learn howto speak freaking English. Maybe that is your problem with mmos afterall. Second "comparing a snail to a car"? "WoW beats Guild Wars inweapon graphics"? Sorry man but you sounded totally retarted to me.(Btw 99% of people call the fee a "monthly" fee cause you pay permonth, not per week)In anycase Guild Wars = Time spender  WoW = Life BurnerWanna kill the same crap over and over just to get 1 new item evey oncein a while? Do you want your decision to make a new character to end upin a 1month+ level up session to get him to 80? If you want, or maybeif you want "kuler weponz" play WoW. (I got 4 lvl 80s, played this gamesince 1.1.0 Rogue, Druid, Paladin, Shaman)If you want a nice community, and play a game just TO ****ING PASSYOUR TIME NICELY, (that's what games are for anyway), to have fun andtry out new stuff every now and then. Without 1 month lvling. GiveGuild Wars a shot, get the trial from https://www.guildwars.com/en/ and U will loveit (*Trivia Spoiler*: The starting of guildwars is in a nice peacefullkingdom which turns out to a city under siege, try to get a bit afterthat point if you play the trial so u know.)(Played all the GW coreclasses when I was LFGing in wow at 3:00 am and couldn't find a soulplaying, Now I play a necromancer again, and an assassin for fun PvP)

Facts: Core:World of Warcraft: An amazing game with a highly respectable community, and a point on playing.

Guild Wars: Show some skills and you find yourself in the middle ofthe best experienced community in an MMOrpg. So noobness and u stillgot a chance. Fast play, enjoyable story with envolving plot and teasercinematics in between quests/missions.

Facts on Expansions:World of Warcraft: It just went to far repeating the same crap. Ok, TBC(The Burning Crusade 1st exp. Pack) could be beared up to a point, butwaiting 2 years for WotLK (Wrath of the Lich King 2nd exp. Pack) justto farm Naxxramas AGAIN is tottaly stupid.

Guild Wars: 2 Cool Expansions Factions - Nightfall which introducenew classes and new synergys in skill combination for the existingclasses that take the game to a new level for the gamer to find out.And a pure Condent Expansion (3 in total) with new missions and questfor maxed lvl characters just to keep the flame burning.

I believed I covered most of your questions. If you read this up tohere, thank you for your time, I hope I helped you. And once again,LEARN ENGLISH PLEASE. (And don't say I am acting cocky or anythingcause it is the native language for me neither... Just letting you know-.^)IMPORTANT MESSAGE: WHEN YOU PLAY A GAME, PLAY IT TO HAVE FUN AND RELAX! THANK YOU ALL.  ~RotS disconnected!

English?Guild Wars Factions

Perhaps you should read and check your spelling good sir.

WoW vs. Guild Wars

Both games have good UIs and game play.  If you want to grind forever and pick on silly noobs then play WoW in PvP Mode.  If you want to have fun and battle other players with set missions and points in mind, play GW.

GW2 will be a mix of WoW character movement and the GW story and gameplay. 

Have Fun,

Jamie - (ShatterFist)

-reply by ShatterFist

Yo man you play a game on dial up that is the problem man, anyone who plays on dial up is like trying to run state of the art graphics on a old sega master system it is going to be crap unless you have high speed

-reply by scion

I own GW...and tried WoWGuild Wars Factions

Due to the fact that WoW gave a free trial, I tried it. I really wasn't very impressed. I got together some money, and bought GW Factions. What sold me on it was the fact that there were no monthly fees. I also own an XBOX 360. Sometimes I just want to get away from the TV for a while a play a little bit. I really like GW so much, that I bought and expansion for it. I, then changed my computer and had to call GW's techies to complete my character exchange. They took all of 20 minutes to respond and solve those little issues. I tried to call Blizzard's techies, and was put on hold for 4 hours. Sorry WoW, you may have the "free" servers, but GW has the MMORPG on lockdown. I can not wait for GW 2!

-reply by Dragon