xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mpinsky

Photoshop Cropping Problem

All right.

For most of my Photoshop work, I use Photoshop 6.0. Yes, I know it's old, but it gets the job done, not to mention I just don't have the money of Photoshop CS or Photoshop CS2 right now. But I'm getting off topic.

Anyways, a few months ago, when I went to crop a picture, it wouldn't crop all the way. It would crop to a certain point and then just stop and refused to go any further with the cropping box. It seems to only form squares and sometimes horizontal rectangles, but only to a certain extent. However, when I opened Adobe Photoshop Essentials 2.0 (which I use for my Photoshop 7.0 and above brushes), the cropping tool worked just fine. I've never had this problem with Photoshop 6.0 until now, and even though I can use Adobe Photoshop Essentials 2.0, I use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 the most often as it has more features than Adobe Photoshop Essentials 2.0.

Any ideas on what's causing this and how I can fix it?

I'm guessing that when you selected the Crop tool, you had been using a proportional mode rather than the normal mode. I don't have Photoshop 6, so I can't tell you where exactly you can change this. But when you have Crop selected, you should see a toolbar where you can enter a value Height and Width, and also Resolution. If there are some values entered in Height and Width, Photoshop will only crop the image at proportions of the dimensions you have given. Delete those values and you should be able to crop normally without restraints.

I'm guessing that when you selected the Crop tool, you had been using a proportional mode rather than the normal mode. I don't have Photoshop 6, so I can't tell you where exactly you can change this. But when you have Crop selected, you should see a toolbar where you can enter a value Height and Width, and also Resolution. If there are some values entered in Height and Width, Photoshop will only crop the image at proportions of the dimensions you have given. Delete those values and you should be able to crop normally without restraints.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be that as sometimes it works normally and sometimes it doesn't. However, I'll check again, and see if I can provide you guys some screenshots. :(

I know that hitting the CAPS LOCK in photoshop screws up my eyedropper and converts the cursor into "precision mode" and for the longest time I hadn't realized that. Maybe you have something like that selected when you go to use the crop tool. I know holding down SHIFT will make it form fit a cube when you make your crop box... Check your toolbars and see if options aren't selected that aren't screwing you up.

mpinsky,

Did you ever solve your Photoshop 6.0 problem? I have exactly the same problem and can't find a solution online!

I also can't drag the sliders anymore in functions like hue/saturation!

Uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop didn't fix the problem. What is going on?

crop tool messed up fixPhotoshop Cropping Problem

I just realized this topic is pretty old, but I was having the same problem in CS2.

try selecting the crop tool and at the top where you have the drop down menu for the tool to select differant types  right click on it and you will see a option to reset tool.

it worked for me, but I still don't know whats causing it??

-reply by brandon

crop tool messed up fixPhotoshop Cropping ProblemThanks a lot! This solved a problem I had in CS4: when cropping the image simply disappeared and only the gray background was showing. Selecting something else in the tool options worked and crop is functioning normally again.