xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
XIII

Windows Problems "new Series"- Xp Home Edition Activation Issue

i never used Windows XP Home edition before, in these days i have no way to use it on my work pc, have no profissional edition and i don't want to buy one, in fact i hate windows at all, i use linux and it's so good and enough to me, but i must use it noway.

after i installed it, it asked me to activate it, i went into the activation process, finally it told me to call any microsoft products reseller or something like that to provide me with a new product number as they say in that message:

According to our records, the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded. Please enter a diffirent product key, and then click Retry. The 25-digit product key can be found on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label attached to your computer or Windows documentation.

and they are talking BLA BLA about talking to provider here by phone and they don't respond to phone, i think they closed here after 2 years od no sales or something simillar.

Do anyone have idea about how to get rid of this ugly 2 keys in the tray??

Linux Rocks

Wow, that's strange. Reinstalled and activated my windows plenty of times : |I reckon you used an illegal code then, and I'm afraid I can't help you with that. Or anyone else, according to Xisto code of conduct.

Wow, that's strange. Reinstalled and activated my windows plenty of times : |

I reckon you used an illegal code then, and I'm afraid I can't help you with that. Or anyone else, according to Xisto code of conduct.

HEY! I never used an illegal code or an illegal software, it's my master copy of windows which i have the master code, and i didn't even give the code to anyone else, that's microsoft, they used to kill our dreams of a stable system. :S :(

Never had problems re-activating Windows XP Home Edition here either. Did it for many years now since I reinstall Windows yearly.

What I think must have happened is that there were some major hardware changes or you are using this Windows XP Home CD on a different computer than it was on before. Since you said you never used it before, check and make sure the CD is an authentic Windows CD. It will have that rainbow/silver color effect on the cover when you tilt the CD. Does it come with the authentic Windows sticker?

You can call up Microsoft or contact them via other methods at:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If I remember correctly, Microsoft might charge you a small fee for giving you a new key code. Beats buying another copy of it at full retail price though.

You are allowed to activate your key 3 on only 3 seperate computers within a 6 month period.The activation key is generated by your hardware configuration on your hardware basically.So if you have 4 computers to install XP on within 6 months it will only work for the first 3.They do this to keep people from installing the same key on multiple computers, but they give you the courtesy 3 times in case you change major system components ( like your motherboard basically ) 3 times within 6 months.You can install windows on the same computer a billion times within 6 months because everytime it will use the same key and when you install it and "activate key", your key will already by active but if you change your parts and it doesn't match the active key then thats what counts on your courtesy 3.I know this is confusing, but my Computer Science teacher explained this to us in a much better way. I wish he had given us a written description that I could type up for you but thats all I can pull from my memory.

Can I clarify a few things?1) You are installing XP Home as your business machine. This is a personal business and you are not working in a corporate environment.2) This is a new key that has never been used.They first thing that popped into my head was that you got this license from your IT department but after rereading a few times I didn’t get that feeling any more. I have myself had a few problems in this situation. The IT person has bought lets say 20 keys in bulk. They keys go onto several computers, hardware gets changed, reinstalled, who knows what else and before you know it you are getting nasty messages for Microsoft even though you are 100% legal. I don’t know if this applies to you but you can call Microsoft and usually get this straightened out.I also have to ask how you got the key. If you opened the shrink wrapped package and are still having these problems then I would find a Microsoft person and yell at them until they sent me a new key. (I sometimes enjoy yelling at tech support people when they are clearly in the wrong and I have been ripped off. It releases the frustration of the problem and is somewhat of a therapy. If yelling does not work just ask for their supervisor. If that person is still a moron then ask for his supervisor.)If you got the key second hand then you might be out of luck. You never know what happened to the key before you got it. The previous owner may have given it to 10 of his closest friends and you were number 11. If this is the case you might have to bite the bullet and buy a new copy.

look this problem

Windows Problems "new Series"- Xp Home Edition Activation Issue

I've installed Windows xp home edition service pack 2 into my computer and it immediately asked me activation key

Then every time when I start my pc it asks me

-question by Alison

after replacing parts on Dell Dimension 4400 with Window XP Home editionWindows Problems "new Series"- Xp Home Edition Activation IssueMy Dell Dimension 4400 with Window XP Home edition crashed and could no longer boot up. If I replacing parts of my computer with another used Dell computer of the same model, would I be able to use my original reinstallation CD to get it running? What Do I need to do exactly? Since the motherboard is replaced by the motherboard of another computer of the same made, would it be a problem with the so called COA issue? Please explain in more details since I am not familiar with these. Thanks.-question by Kate

how to uinstall windows xp home edition sp3Windows Problems "new Series"- Xp Home Edition Activation Issue

I previously had windows xp office professional as my operating system and because it was giving problems I installed windows xp home edition sp3 unto my pc.  now I have both operating systems on my pc and I want to uninstall/remove the windows xp home edition.  what do I do to remove it?

-reply by yell1

You can A) "borrow" a friends code assuming that his computer licensed to the same type of OS. for home edition, just about any computer is licensed.

For XP pro, you will have to "borrow" from a workplace or an organization such as schools.

If you don't have access to either.

You can find cracked/illegal codes that will work but Microsoft DOES fight against non-genuine product keys. If you do you computer updates, make sure you don't update the genuine authenticator. If you do, it may lock up your OS until you purchase or find a legit product key.

I had this problem before with XP Pro.

My Dell Dimension 4400 with Window XP Home edition crashed and could no longer boot up. If I replacing parts of my computer with another used Dell computer of the same model, would I be able to use my original reinstallation CD to get it running? What Do I need to do exactly? Since the motherboard is replaced by the motherboard of another computer of the same made, would it be a problem with the so called COA issue? Please explain in more details since I am not familiar with these. Thanks. -question by Kate

Kate, your computer hardware has nothing to do with the product keys for your software. If you have a product key for Windows XP Home, and you still have a version of Windows XP Home installed. That product key will work.

However, most product keys are licensed to be used on one system only, but there is nothing stopping you from using it on multiple systems.

look this problemWindows Problems \"new Series\"- Xp Home Edition Activation Issue

I've installed Windows xp home edition service pack 2 into my computer and it immediately asked me activation key

Then every time when I start my pc it asks me

-question by Alison

Allison, just to make sure you didn't know, Windows XP has sort of 2 "activation" systems and on most systems, both of them are required.

During the install of Windows XP, it will ask you for the product key.

If your system is installed, most systems will request an activation. The icon is usually a keyring with a couple of keys. If you have access to the internet, clicking 'Activate over the internet' should work and do it automatically. If you do not have access to the internet, you can activate Windows over the phone.
Edited by Sakizen (see edit history)