xisto Community
yordan

Zone Alarm Refuses Mc Afee Now its impossible installing Zone Alarm on a computer protected

The new version of Zone Alarm (65_714_000) refuses installing on a computer if Mc Afee antivirus is found.

The installation stops with the following message (click on the tumbnail for readability) :

Posted Image

Too bad, I loved being protected simultaneously by zone Alarm and by Mc Afee.

Probably, the reason is that Zone Alarm now sells it's own antivirus program, and does not want to share a computer with McAfee.

Well, at least they're being honest and up front about it. What are you gonna do? Keep McAfee or ZoneAlarm? I'm most interested in the outcome...Also, let me say that I don't admire the choice you need to make. ;-)Good luck!

What are you gonna do? Keep McAfee or ZoneAlarm?

Yes, nice question.Till now, my choice was clear :
Zone Alarm as firewall
Mc Afee as antivirus.

I didn't like Mc Afee firewall, I preferred the Zone Alarm one, if I can't keep this choice I will get sad.

I have to agree with the other poster..pretty good of them to come clean during the install..instead you could have had a nightmare..been totally unprotected by both progs till you found the answer to why they wont work together...but then it could also be as the other poster said for their own gain in getting you to invest in ZA Anti Virus..if thats the case then fair play to them l;) cos anything that deterrs the use of Mcaffee anti virus is a positive gain in my experience :P

Ive mentioned my favourite story about Macafee one this forum before I think...long story short Im an AVID AVG Free Edition user...one time while contracting an IT manager tried to make me install his Mcafee I refused to work unless I could use my own virus software..I then pointed out im insured for 5 million Euros if I make a mistake while working (its a standard IT policy to have this as a contractor..) so they let me carry on...after locatign the folders on the server that I would be workign with I tried to copy them to my laptop to take home and get an angle on the work involved..but HEY WTF AVG kicks in and tells me its found 19 different visus on the "FULLY" protected Mcaafee environment they had there.....lol what a joke!!!

I have a few other stories like this...soo many times AVG FREE beats the corperate/enterprise or home versions of this sorry product Mcafee offers....

Yordan do yourself a favour...and the CPU and memory of your machine (yes Mcaffee is bloated to hell!!)

And go here and get Proper AV protection and run Zone Alarm instead of MCAfee internet firewall or whatever they call it these days...

AVG FREE FOR WINDOWS AND LINUX

Oh and YES you did read it right....same product is FREE for Linux also....Beat that anyone??

Cheers!

Mark;)

I'm with Mark. I have been a very loyal AVG user for many years now and it's saved me from a few infections already...which I usually don't get at all :PAbout the firewall, I'm definitely voting for ZoneAlarm. Even though the Pro version have a few more quirks in it, the free version does a fantastic job with incoming and outgoing connections.It could be that ZoneAlarm is blocking the install since McAfee is there because of competition. But then again, it could be for stability issues. I have always told users not to have more than one antivirus and firewall program on their computer. Try to decide which one to keep and use that one instead. I suggest doing this because there have been many cases where a user's machine will slow down to a crawl because they have more than one firewall or antivirus program installed. These programs will either conflict with each other or use so much resources that you can't do anything else on your computer without the huge delay.McAfee and Norton are two of the more popular programs, but I don't like either of them due to their resource usage and problems I have seen using them. I say AVG and ZoneAlarm all the way :P

Edited by WeaponX (see edit history)