xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darkwolf11235

Homeworld

Since there isn't already a topic for homeworld i'm creating this one. Homeworld is an older game but the graphics and all are still pretty nice. I think this game kind of helped define the RTS genre in a new way because of the approach from directly being in and completely open 3d space environment. This allows you to move ships in all three dimensions so that tactics and strategy are crucial. For example some enemy capital ships are weaker on the top so while attack order you ships to move upward. Offcoarse the computer may just rotate the ship upward so your ships still attack the front. Inorder to counter this you could split your ships into two groups and order one group to move down and one group to move up while attacking this leaves part of the ship exposed to one of your groups since the front of the ship can only be in one place at a time.

Sorry about that i accidentally posted this before i finished it. Now back to the post!

This creates for a truly unique style of game play and allows players to create their own special tactics and attack types. This game is not an easy one because it also ajusts each level to the number of ships you have. Hint at the end of each level collect all the resources but do NOT build ships until the next level if you do the computer will compensate for it and you wont have resources to build ships right away. There is also Homeworld 2 now, this is a good game though, as is often the case, not as good as the first.

Homeworld was indeed an amazing game. From the huge map that allowed you to try to flank enemies on a grand scale to the small firefights that occured between low level fighters, everything felt "right". When you brought in a huge capital ship it tore apart the little fighters BUT if you had enough they could swarm a larger ship and take it down. Everything had strengths and weaknesses without being too generic or boring.The graphics were impressive at the time and ran on hardware without it having to be bleeding edge, which is something thats always stuck in my mind about homeworld.The game was awesome, even the storyline was pretty cool...and I usually hate RTS storylines hehe. All in all an amazing game.