xisto Community
vizskywalker

New Firefox Update 1.5.0.4

This update fixes several security issues found in firefox such as HTTP smuggling and XSS issues. It also improves stability with updates to memory and crashin issues. Unfortunately, it does not fix the javascript issue I have identified. To get or for more info go to the update page.

~Viz

Where did you find the release notes? I used auto update and checked out their main page and it still had 1.5.0.3 on it and it's release notes?I guess perhaps I got the update just when they had put it up eh.

Ahhh good better stability, after the 1.5.0.1 or so update and onward I noticed Firefox crashing fairly often all of a sudden which it had never done before (not even once).

Firefox automatically updated for me. I have a question about that. Is that a good thing to do? I mean, I'm new to firefox and don't know if there is ever problems with new updates that I should wait to download them. And if so, how do I turn off auto updates?

Firefox automatically updated for me. I have a question about that. Is that a good thing to do? I mean, I'm new to firefox and don't know if there is ever problems with new updates that I should wait to download them. And if so, how do I turn off auto updates?

I haven't faced any problems with automated Firefox updates so far - except for occasional minor glitches, which get auto-fixed once you run Firefox is safe mode... Like for this recent update my browser.xul file somehow got corrupted and Firefox refused to start. Everytime I tried starting it, it gave me a XML Parsing error and halted. Once I started it in Safe Mode, I believe, FF rewrote the browser.xul file and from then on no problems at all.

Anyway - in case you want to disable the Auto-Update feature, follow this route from the Menu bar on top:

Tools > Options > Advanced > click on Updates Tab

Once there it presents you with a bunch of options what type of updates (Firefox itself and/or extensions and themes) to check for automatically and in case such updates are found, what action to take (install automatically or ask for your approval) .. Mark the checkboxes according to your preference and best judgement.

Regards,

m^e

I have mine set off, I like to check it manually even if I do update anyway regardless of the changes. It gives me something to do and I know when it's been updated so as not to check too soon as waste my time and a little bandwidth.

Updated :( Since I'm not a demanding user, I don't really get to see what is changed, because it is all the same to me. Nevertheless, it is always better to upgrade - who knows whether you might be attacked or not.