xisto Community
Captain Jerry

Any RPG (Report Program Generator) Programmers? No, it doesnt stand for Roll Playing Game

Are there any R.P.G. Programmers on board?

R.P.G. as in Report Program Generator, first started on the old, old, I.B.M. System 38 (or was it the 36?) then migrated to the I.B.M. AS/400, which is now called the I.B.M. iSeries, or The I.B.M. i5...

I just happen to be an R.P.G. Senior Programmer (have been for many years) so if there are any R.P.G.ers out there that need any help or want to discuss logic/technique, post here, or drop me a message.

Posted Image

Hello Jerry,I am new to RPG and would like to know a starting point from where I can start learning RPG.My objective here is to deploy an sample RPG code in IBM iSeries Model 570 and expose it a webservice using Web-Sphere Development Studio Client.Thanks for your time ;)

Hi Captain Jerry, Do you know of any Report Program Genertor (RPG) software that will run on a PC? I'm a retired RPG programmer and would like to write some applications but don't know Visual Basic or any other PC language. I called IBM and they referred me to Lattice but I called them and they said the haven't sold that product for years. You can email me at jmrudolph1@verizon.net. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.John R.

RPG Computer / IBM 80-Column Punch Card Questions

Any RPG (Report Program Generator) Programmers?

Hello everyone

I use to program in RPG on both an IBM System/3 and IBM 360 computers, usings 80-Column punch cards (YES, I'm old and graying by the day), but have not used this language for over 30 years. My e-mail address is "1cmfic@sbcglobal.Net", and I live in the San Francisco (California, USA) area.

I'm wondering the following ... 1) If there are still RPG Programmers out there ... Where are you employed (might want to program in this language again)??? 2) Does anyone know of an "RPG Compiler" that will run on a "PC" or "MAC" based computer ... So I can write some programs "just for the heck of it"??? 3) For those of you who still might be using a "Main-Frame" Computer system, does any of you still have an IBM 1442, IBM 2501, or other simular 80-column Herman Hollerith Card Reader, so that I could read my 100+ boxes of cards into a compputer system, and output the contents onto a floppy disk, flash drive, or other such "current-day-and-age" media???

As the saying goes ... "It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks" ... And I yearn for the days of using "3GL" ("Third Generation Language") computer languages ... And perhaps ... Someone can enlighten my as to potential options out their that I am not aware of (yet).

Thank you for your consideration of re-living "the good old days", when you had to every "bit" with only a "8KB" of core IBM System/3 in order to produce a vast array of meaningful financial, student registration, and other reports.

Clarence

-reply by Clarence

latice rpgAny RPG (Report Program Generator) Programmers?

I have been programming in RPG since the S/360 days , back at the end of 60's , until recently 2006, in an Unix enviroment IBM/RS600- unix based system using ASNAs rpg/400 , the same one found in the AS400 but re-enginereed to be used in unix operating systems.

I saw, the same 80 and 96 columns punched cards systems, until the days the S/34 came forth with a disk OS, then moved up to the S/36, S/38, and AS/400.

I am also looking for a tool to use RPG in a windows based PC, some one knows about

Hi Captain Jerry,

Do you know of any Report Program Genertor (RPG) software that will run on a PC? I'm a retired RPG programmer and would like to write some applications but don't know Visual Basic or any other PC language. I called IBM and they referred me to Lattice but I called them and they said the haven't sold that product for years. You can email me at jmrudolph1@verizon.net.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

John R.

Some infos here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_RPG

Platforms

As stated above, the RPG programming language originally was introduced by IBM for their proprietary 1401, /360, /3, /32, /34, /36, /38 AS/400 and System i systems. There have also been implementations for the Digital VAX, Sperry Univac BC/7, Univac system 80, Siemens BS2000, Burroughs B1700, Hewlett Packard HP3000, ICL 2900 series, Honeywell 6220 and WANG VS, as well as miscellaneous compilers & runtime environments for Unix-based systems (INFINITE 36 (formerly UNIBOL36)) and PCs (Baby/400, Lattice-RPG).

RPG II applications are still supported under the HP MPE operating system on HP3000 and the OpenVMS operating system on VAX, Alpha, Unisys MCP, and Integrity processors by the third party

You can find the Lattice-RPG version for PC here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope this helped

Yordan

Looking for Lattice RPG II compiler/manuals/diskette images.Any RPG (Report Program Generator) Programmers?

Hello all RPG programmers,

I am a former RPG programmer, starting from IBM Sys/3 model 15 thru I series AS/400.

I haven't found anymore need for my old skills. But it never hurts to ask around.

Meantime I am looking for LATTICE RPG compiler for DOS. The latest version the better. I am willing

to pay for it. I found Version 2.02 at VETUS.COM, but it did not include the manual and

sample programs

If anybody wants to talk about the good old days of RPG programming, email me. If anybody knows about a jhob as a RPG II/III programming jobs almost  anywhere in USA , let me know!

THANKS Raul  (I am in So California)

-question by raul S.

I have been programming in RPG for over 40 years. I started out on an IBM 360/20, went to an IBM S/3, heard about Lattice and transferred all my programs over to a PC with a 600 lpm line printer one weekend. I have Lattice RPG-II compiler. I don't use SDA as most of what I do is with data files or text files. Almost all my work is what I call 'Data Manipulation', and it suits me fine. I have used it in Windows, but I usually just dump out to DOS and go to town. I have found there is very little I cannot do. Since I do not believe on the 'BLEEDING EDGE' of technology, I sometimes sometimes it is easier to dump a file into dBASE and then back out again as an SDF file. I also find WordStar helpful sometmes. Ocassionally I will even compile a program in Nantucket 'Clipper'. Simple batch files are neat. I have found very few files I can't **** information from. I think RPG has been given a bad name. Even with my early version (mid '70s) I can do a lot.

Thanks for reading.

-reply by James Schumacher

LOOKING FOR RPG COMPILER FOR FREE???Any RPG (Report Program Generator) Programmers?

hi!!

I'm a student of  BSIS(Information System).Does anyone knows where I can download a RPG compiler for free? please help me.. ^6

you can email me at:

ralyn16_ealyn@yahoo.Com 

-reply by Ralyn Tan

RPG II LatticeAny RPG (Report Program Generator) Programmers?

Just wondering if anyone knows of any programmers familiar with Lattice RPG II. I am having an issue with my system (converted years ago from an IBM 34 to PC's DOS based) but cannot find anyone who is familiar with RPG or Lattice. I am in Northern Illinois if any one can help email me direct if you like.Thanks so muchMiclinton@aol.Com

-question by Michaela Lint

Lattice RPGAny RPG (Report Program Generator) Programmers?Replying to (G)Michaela LintHi. I have Lattice RPG and have been using it for about the last 20 years to develop software and run it on PCs. If you would like to elaborate on your problem I'll do my best to help.-reply by John Bartlett

I am an old, old RPG programmer.  I learned it  for the System-25 card system.  I did not have the opportunity to learn any interactive RPG programming.  I would like to write some simple report programs.  Do you know of any?

-question by Pete