xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trekkie101

Google, Notebook And The Pushing The Edge

I’m a scheduled person, logic and flow come to me naturally, it’s difficult for me to work any other way but Google seem to work the same way, they like to organise information and present it in a logical format. Search never showed this in all its glory but by the time GMail was on the scene they had realised what they had to do and released a product that rivaled every mail provider in existance, people fell in love with the speed and accuracy it could search, filter and sort your mail. The space was awesome for most people but the thing that most people don’t realise is they like the organisation.You don’t even need to label your mail, as I for instance don’t. That may surprise a few people but to me its natural not to, instead it offers a few methods of finding my mail and fast. First I can search, on all other mail providers this hardly worked and wasn’t reliable, now I have this amazing new search engine that gets me everything I want in under a search engine. Next we have Conversation tracking no more “Re: blah” nonsense that we’re used to. GMail is almost like a bulletin board in complexity and it offers features that pick out important information such as the ability to link things to a Google Calendar.The Calendar itself is useful, it stores every appointment I have, exam times and general information on where I’m going to be, I at times become very busy and have a lot to and this doesn’t just keep track for me but allows everyone else to know exactly where I am and when im going to be there. Reader is another service but it disapoints me and fails miserably to even catch my intrest, Personalised home is ok, but not perfect, id like to see my calendar, feeds, notebook, adsense all in that page rather than on multiple and the plugins just dont work how id like them to yet.Notebook, the baby, the new child, the amazing help. Notebook is my true love from Google. I used to use Tada lists for little things but now I got this new baby, it doesn’t have labels or such yet but it has an amazing simplicty and amazing extention that allows me to write anything I want and have it saved. I may not ever delete any of the stuff I put there but its going to get rid of countless bits of paper and small .txt files that I make up. Someone over at Google is a genious for bringing this out. Ive been needing similar for a while now. Lets just hope the school dont block access or they will be hearing about it, they like to block everything of any importance or usefulness that they dont provide and Groupwise just isnt that helpful with no remote access or export features.So what’s next, pushing the edge with Google Talk was absolutely amazing we need more useful products like that and I believe Google can provide.

I didn't know about google notebook... Well, anyway just logged into notebook, and must admitt... it's pretty damn cool tool! probably I'll start using it regulary, rather than sending myself emails.. :D

I would agree on the most part. I haven't tried all of their tools as I simply miss some haha. I also haven't tried alot of the plugins for the various services but I'm sure I will eventually. All in all though I agree that google is on the right track and handles the things they tackle well. Not everything they offer will appeal to all users, but for the most part everyone can find something from google that they like, and that google does better then the competition.

What they need right now is a major overhaul on the Personalized Homepage thing, so all these distributed apps fit smoothly under one roof and accessible from a single point - a sort of a centralized suite. The don't like the Personalized Homepage either. It leaves a lot to be desired. But I'm hoping they're going to majorly revamp it soon enough.. They must know by now with the amount of uproar all around :D