xisto Community
mediafork

Old Skool Games

Who here loves some of the old skool games?Frogger was awesome... so simply but so addictively fun... and the old mario's were great.I ABSOLUTELY adored my old sega master system with games like alex the kidd and sonic the hedgehog who wouldn't?There there were even further back the old BBC's with games like granny's garden and Dinosaur Discovery!Aaaaaahh... So nice to play some of the older simpler games...What are your favourite old skool games?

Hey there! I love those old school games!

I used to play loads of addictive games in school! And I still play some of them occasionally! :D

Here's the list : (In PC Games - I never liked the gameboy very much)

Dave - The Original DOS Game (Imagine, just ONE exe file!!!)

Doom & Doom II (Great Action, I used cheats! :P )

Duke 3D (Man, this was HOT! :P )

Sky Roads (All 30 tracks) This wasn't addictive, was it?

I still have all these games on my hard disk, so if anyone wants them, let me know!

-Omkar Ekbote

I am an old school gamer as well. I had some good times back in the day with video games, lot's of memories. Here are some of my favorite titles.1- The Legend of Zeld: A Link to the Past2- Super Mario Brothers 33- Doom II4- Puzzle Fighter5- Final Fantasy III & VIIThose are just now off the top of my head, there's more. :D

Oh god... granny's garden! my search came to an end a few months ago when I found the rom, and played it through to its end on beebem. I wish I could find two games I played on the acorn archimedes though... Time Detectives : The VictoriansandThe Crystal RainforestMediafork... you must be from the UK too then? and around my age. Don't you emulate those old games? Almost collapsed when I saw the BBC micro emulator had been ported to the psp. Granny's garden works :P I didn't know about that dinosaur game though :D I'll have a look for that.

I love old-school games for a lot of different reasons. The main one being that the later-generation consoles (i.e. from Dreamcast and N64 up) make me dizzy. It has something to do with the graphics. The XBox isn't too bad, but I still have to take a break about ever 15-30 minutes. (Very frustrating when you're in the middle of a Grand Theft Auto mission, or when you're trying to pass a stage in Blood Omen 2).Some of my favorite older games include:Tetris (both the first NES version and the Tetris 2 sequel).Pretty much every Mario Bros. game made before N64 - although Mario 64 was a pretty neat title too. I could never quite get the hang of that though *grins* I'm such a bad gamer. Oh, well.The first Zelda game was pretty sweet, as was "A Link to the Past" for SNES.Oh, and Klax. Can't forget that one. The three Ninja Turtles games made for the NES were sweet. My brothers and I would play together to try and beat the games, but we never managed to get *quite* that far. Oh, well - we still had fun playing together. When we weren't yelling at each other for losing lives, anyway *snickers*I still play most of these titles via emulators.

I'm 33 years old and I have nothing but love for old school games. Nowadays if a game controller has more than 2 buttons on it I can't make it go. It's pathetic. I have some younger friends who all have XBox and PS2 and when I go over to their house and play I feel like Grampa Simpson. I'll break down my old school faves by console:

Atari 2600

- Adventure

- Warlords

- Pressure Cooker (semi-obscure Activision Title where you made burgers)

- Ghost Manor (XonoX double-ender, baby!)

Sega Master System

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World

- Wonder Boy

Intellivision

- Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Dang... I gotta go download some EMULATORS!

I can't believe that noone has mentioned (or I didn't see them mention) Punch-Out! If you ever had a NES (Nintendo Entertainment System), you should know this game! You begin as a new boxer fighting a guy named Glass Joe, who is extremely easy to beat. After that guy you fight characters like Von Kaiser, Piston Honda, King Hippo, Don Flamenco, Great Tiger. Bald Bull, Mr. Sandman, Soda Popinski, Super Macho Man and finally Mike Tyson. The most memorable part of Punchout would probably be when you are fighting King Hippo and you need to hit him in the belly button and he makes that funny face. If anyone would like to look at a pretty decent fan site, you can Click Here.

Anther NES game that I did not see mentioned was Allstars Baseball, or Baseball Allstars. I can't remember the name but that was an awesome game as well.

i dont know if anyone will remember, but what about FA-18 Interceptor on the Amiga Commodore? that was a great game, you even got a little wheel that you had to spin around to get the flight code. also on the amiga, the old version of sim city, it would have been version 2 maybe.

Name:yeahdoomstreet fighter toalex the kidcommander keenthe wild bunch (Amstrad)kung fu fighter (Amstrad)double dragon (master system)california games (master system)Im a gamer of the nineties (although we got the amstrad as it was gonna get chucked). Most of my favs are of the ps/n64 generation tho.-yeah

Anyone remember the old Lucas Arts adventure games? Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was one of my favorites. I ended up finding an actual 4 edition comic book series based on the game.

Maniac Mansion for the NES was another... It was so hard for me as a kid, but I tried it last year and blew through it without any trouble haha. I always used Bernard because I'm such a geek. :)

On the subject of NES... I just tonight found a video on Youtube for the ending of "Muppet Adventure: Chaos at the Carnival"

That second to last "boss" frustrated me for over a decade. Probably the worst game/boss ever second to Custer's Revenge.

The Journeyman Project for PC (circa 1994) was also a fun favorite for the PC. I always was a fan of time travel games, and I wish they'd make more of em.

Going back even further, remember when Windows 3.1 came with QBasic installed, and you could program your own games (mostly text based). It came with one game you could compile where you had 2 gorillas on a city skyline, and you typed in your speed of throw, and angle of throw, and you'd hurl bananas at each other, and if you hit the city line, it'd take a chunk out, which was really cool back then hahaha.

Posted Image

cyrstal rainforest for old pc game at school - between 1990/2000

Old Skool Games

Do you remeber in school playing 'crystal rainforest', basicly your where in a jungle and you had to solve puzzles / clues to collect crystals and make your way through the massive jungle to rescue someone at the end or somthing.

But there were loads of sub plots and it was a massive game, of what I can remember it was a quality game and I compare it too Zelda ect.

I don't remember it having much to do with work, like maths and that. I just remember the quest and trying to complete the game coming across baddies and snakes ect in the jungle.

Ive been trying to find a copy of the original game, Ive found that theyve released an updated version in 2000. I'm trying to find the old school one that I used to love playing all day at school to see if its a good as I remember, It probily seems crap now though and nothing like what I thought.

Anyone ?

-reply by Jack

Old school games... oh yes!The first games I have ever played were from Coleco Vision, Atari, Tandy 1000, and Commodore 64. I would play Kings Quest, Black Cauldron, Zaxxon, Gorf, PacMan, Lady Bug.... oh my on and on.Then NES came along and I played the Mario Brothers to death. You know, old NES games were very difficult! I don't know if it was my age, but as compared to SNES, they were tough! Final Fantasy came to life and I played it to death, also... and of course, to this day I still play Final Fantasy series... (still playing FFXII) Legend of Zelda, Tetris, Dr Mario, and the Disney games were fun because a lot of them were two player!But then SNES was created, and I basically let it take over my life! By then I was a teen and had my own TV in my room hooked up to SNES... and man it was FANTASTIC! Super Mario World, Allstars, Link to the Past (which I finished in one day)... Then a lot of great RPGS... 7th Saga, Lagoon, Secret of Mana (which was on PSX), and so on... but of course, Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (US versions).I would have to say the old school was the age of cartridge. I then bought N64 and played the newer Link and Mario games also, and also Mario Cart, but the technology was getting better even though it was a cartridge console.... now it is all disk, and it is overwhelmingly awesome!But where would we be today, if we never had the old school games and systems!

I just can't believe it, the topic is about old skool games, and not a single person who mentiones BIOMENACE!! that game used to be my fav, I played it for hours and hours!! and even tho I couldn't remember finishing the game, when I played it a while ago, and I came to the final lvl, I remembered every bit of it! aaowh,, what a fantastic game that was, owyeah, and I also played dave a lot :P such a simple but fun game :)-reply by snake logan