xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
randomdood

Is Political Correctness Getting Out Of Hand ? getting out of hand?

i understand political correctness in government but is it right for teachers to be politically crorrect? I have found that my class lessons have been not as constructive as they could have been besause teachers can't say some things. also this comprimizing our freedom of speach. i'm not talking about racial issues or things like that. Whats your opininion?

i understand political correctness in government but is it right for teachers to be politically crorrect? I have found that my class lessons have been not as constructive as they could have been besause teachers can't say some things. also this comprimizing our freedom of speach. i'm not talking about racial issues or things like that.
Whats your opininion?

Of course you mean to ask whether it is right that teachers are forced to be politically correct? A teacher is in a public position and needs to be careful. So, I think you need to be more specific. I also want to ask what your location is because I think that this problem is worse in some areas than others.

DO I think it's out of hand in some areas/professions? Yes. Do I think some random people take it WAY out of hand? Yes. Do I think it is out of hand overall? Not yet, but it could be eventually.Personally I don't get offended...or at all. I mean unless someone attacks me personally I usually don't care even if people make a politcally incorrect remark about a race I decend from or whatever. Now, being racist is one thing, but using a non-derrogatory statement for a race that was acceptable, and then randomly deemed unacceptable, seems pointless to me (I mean terms acceptable by everyone, but ones certain people chose to use heh).Feminists that want things renamed so that the word 'man' isn't in them? Yea, they take it way too seriously. Basically I just think if it's truly offensive, yea, keep it out of your life. But if it's not meant ot be offensive and would have to be used in a very intentional manner to be misconstrued as offensive, then I say let it be.As far as teachers are concerned I think they do take it too far. When they have to completely reorganize a planned lesson in order to make sure they don't put out someone because of the way something is phrased I think it just wastes time and effort. The world isn't a perfect place... people need to be able to take someone saying something they don't 100% agree with :D

Political correctness is getting rediculous. Look at George Allen's case, he said the word Mukaka (I think that was right), and then people destroyed him because it was offensive to some people. He didn't even mean to offend anyone (I can't remember why he said it, but it wasn't aggressive at all). George Allen has some Jewish heritage, and a reporter asked him where that heritage ended in his family line (implying he was ashamed to be Jewish). It is definitely getting out of hand.My friend is in a debate class, and they practice saying thigs so that NOBODY could possibly get offended. All of these political "rules" are getting way out of hand. I am afraid to even reference an African-American, fearing that that term is now discriminatory because they are not African anymore. But then again, if I don't include the African, they may get mad at me for not "celebrating our differences"!! I don't understand why all of this is such a big deal.A leader of my church said that it is not possible to offend somebody, it is only possible to take offense at what somebody said. If somebody said something directly attacking another person's character, this is unacceptable. If the person did not mean anything by it, then this should not be a problem.

Replying to randomdoodI agree, so many things are deemed unacceptable in todays society. I swear the goverment was thinking of renaming Easter Eggs 'Spring Spheres'. What is up with that! It is getting completely out of hand. You say one thing to some one and boom! your being politically incorrect.If you didn't mean to say something, people should accept that and move on.

-reply by Zoey

Its definitely true that at times when there are topics on which Teachers must put forth their own opinion on something but that becomes utterly impossible in the premises of classroom as there are students belonging to various sections of society.An opinion of one sort can be annoying to a student belonging to a particular section of society. So there are times when there is prohibition of speech despite having freedom of speech constitutionally.On one hand Freedom of speech can't be exploited to disrupt religious /community harmony.In our country we have already witnessed thatzealot's rhetoric is a guiding factor in most of the religious riots we have come across.So we can't deny this fact that with freedom there comes an enormous amount of responsibility as package.On the other hand since political correctness has to be strictly maintained so as not to violate the freedom given students remain devoid of knowing many crucial aspects of very important topics concerning the future of this nation.