xisto Community
sandeep1405241520

Want To Check My Security

Hi all,I want to check the security of my PC when I am on the internet. Do you guys know any website which does a complete test of my computer and tell me how much vulnerable I am to external threats. Some kind of rating on the various factors of security will really help.Waiting for reply.

Being safe on the Internet is a multifaceted goal. No single check or piece of software can do it for you. In my option, the way to be safe is to be knowledgeable about computer security and take some time to learn the basics. With that said I usually recommend four things you can do to be safe.

Have antivirus installed and regularly have definitions updated. This one should be self explanatory as you have heard this before. This is to make sure that if something does get in it gets caught.

Run Windows update and install updates are they are available. A high propriety update from Microsoft basically means that someone has figured out a way to break into your machine. If you have not updated your machine in awhile then you have some gaping holes that anyone could use to gain access to your machine.

Run a firewall. Even the firewall in SP2 is a good firewall. This detects threats as they enter your system and keep them from even getting to you machine. I also highly recommend running a hardware firewall such as a router firewall. I use both a hardware firewall and Norton Firewall. A good site to test your firewall is Shields Up! located at https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Scan your system for spyware. These are just as bad as viruses right now. I use Spybot (https://www.safer-networking.org/) and Adaware (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/).

Be educated about what you are doing. I have found that most people donât have any idea why they should do such things. If you donât understand then educate yourself. For beginners go down to your local bookstore and pick up a copy of security for dummies or something similar. Education is the greatest power.

Usually Symantec.com has free online security tools. You can use their program to run security checks on your system.If you are worried about your security, just make sure you have a firewall, even having Windows Firewall enabled will probably help you out. And disable File and Printer Sharing, then you should be fine.

Taken from an earlier post of mine:

Steve Gibson's excellent Shields UP! which scans for open ports and recommends optimum firewall settings.

ScanIT's browser security test is a reputed site to check for weaknesses.

Symantec also has an online virus and internet security check available for free

Secunia - the industry leader in notifying and testing of security exploits especially in browsers has lots of feeds and info on these browser holes.

Edited by sparx (see edit history)