xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fonz

WinXP Not Recognizing AMD Processor Properly

Not too long ago i got myself an AMD 64 X2 Dual Core +3800 chip. IT wasn't until last week when i noticed that my Windows XP Pro SP2 is reading it as "AMD Hammer Family Processor - Model Uknown"Is there anyway i can get windows to recognize me chip right? OR does it even matter? I just wondering to make sure my PC is clocking at what it's supoosed to.by the way im new to Xisto. Thought i'd give it a shot = )

first off I hate to ask but I have to, are you running a legit copy of windows, also have your run all the windows updates?The reason I'm asking is that in some cases the problem with windows not recognizing processor properly is that windows is missing some key component updates. Also make sure your running the newest drivers for your mobo, it sounds to me like your not running the proper/upto date drivers.

Edited by Logan Deathbringer (see edit history)

In my experience a wrong setting in your bios could make your windows see your processor as something else..I had it with an amd sempron 2800+ for somereason my bios had set the clockspeed way low and my xp thought it was just an AMD with 1400 mhz.. When i adjusted my clockspeed in the bios it reconized the processor.

I doesn't realy matter if windows knows what cpu type you have, it doesn't realy have optimalisations built in for it, so don't worry.
But ... AMD A64 cpu's need a driver so that the QnC function works under XP. Drivers can be downloaded here: http://www.amd.com/en-us .
Look for "AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.3.1"