xisto Community
doctor

Einstein Quiz Can you solve this problem?

Hi everybody;I want to ask the quiz written by Einstein last century.It is called Einstein's Riddle.Einstein said that 98% of the people in the world cannot solve his riddle. Are you among the other 2%?(Hint:It is really easy:)Hints:1: There are 5 houses in 5 different colors2: In each house lives a person with a different nationality.3: These 5 owners drink a certain beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet.4: No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same drink.Further Details:a: The Brit lives in a red house.b: The Swede keeps dogs as pets.c: The Dane drinks tea.d: The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.e: The green house owner drinks coffee.f: The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.g: The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.h: The man living in the house right in the center drinks milk.i: The Norwegian lives in the first house.j: The man who smokes Blend lives next to the one who keeps cats.k: The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.l: The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.m: The German smokes Prince.n: The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.o: The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.The question is : WHO KEEPS FISH?Good Lucks!

I have solved this one long ago, when I was 12. I took me about twenty minutes, and it's not that hard if you know how to organize yourself. Moreover, this riddle has been repeated so many times that I know the answer by heart.

The answer is: The German

Of course, that is unless you have changed it somehow :D

Yea I solved it back in the day as well, we did lots of those logic type problems then. It's just about not getting lost in the information they give you and eventually you'll come to the answer. Unless you've sat down and tried it or seen a good method of doing this type of problem, however, it would often just turn into a big mess of facts that are meaningless.

I'd hate to think that only 2% of the world can answer this question... It's not too difficult. Almost like Sudoku really; using logic, within constraints, to solve the missing 'number.' In this case, the nationality. Have fun, and thanks for the puzzle.

Without giving too much information, logic problems can either be solved all in your head or, more practically, on paper. In this problem, with all the constraints, it is necessary for most people to just write out all the limitations. Although honestly this is less a logical problem, than just a 'logical' progression of exclusions. Similar problems as this are often found, in great frequency, in I.Q. rating exams.

in I.Q. rating exams.

That's exactly what I am stating. IQ exams are supposed to test your Intelligence. And the current test just tests a kind of logics. Logics is not intelligence, it's just one way of intelligent behaviour, it's not the only one. Finding his path throught the jungle or downtown Manhattan is a second type of Intelligence, probably most important (especially if you are hungry) not measured by this test.

I.Q. Tests annoy the hell out of me just in concept. I mean, how can a test ever actually accurately guage overall intelligence? It makes no sense to me personally. They can gain ideas as to who is more intelligent in various aspects, but the test to accurately depict overall I.Q. would be ginormous.

Solved this a long time ago, in 7th grade I think. Actually, I think that in 7th grade it was already the second time I did this quiz. I do remember being the only person in my class to be able to solve the puzzle, and all the other kids were asking me the answers, and I told them that it's not graded so it doesn't matter, but I had to relent after the attention I got from the other sex that day. :D

Well, I really think that IQ test results, as numbers, aren't really that good. I mean, there are lots of ways to quantitate a specific portion of a person's intelligence, but the sum isn't really meaningul. An IQ of 121 what? Just 121? What does that mean? I haven't taken an IQ test yet, so I'm not really giving an objective answer here, I might be wrong, but I think I can score high on these tests (I have a logical mind. :P), so I wouldn't object to taking one in case it might help my application to some university or something.

Here in Israel universities really depend on your high school graduation diploma, which I'm not sure I'll have, it's kind of in doubt right now, so a high IQ score, which I think is something I can achieve, can really boost my chances to get a real job and carreer. I know I'm being euphoric when I say this, but I don't know, I really think that high school graduation is a different thing from university education, because being a teenager makes lots of things seem difficult and unproportional, and if they seem that way, they end up being that way.

To summarize this pretty much offtopic rant, I just am sad that my hormones got to me during my high school years, otherwise my life could've been that much easier right now.

On the IQ test topic, I have read somewhere that the inventor of IQ tests meant it to be a gauge of how students respond to teaching in schools. If you have a low score, then it means that you are not responding like the rest of the students, and thus maybe a different educational approach might be needed. All this talk about "intelligence" has actually progress to the point where people equate it to innate intelligence, which is definitely not true. After all, your IQ test scores can be increased after training or repeated attempts. What makes it even more disturbing is when people tell me that SAT test(done in the US) is a measure of your intelligence. I have friends who have average score getting a perfect score in their second attempt. And that leads me to the 2% of the population that can solved the puzzle. Some people say that it is real simple while others baulk at the idea of another logic puzzle. Actually, it all boils down to the technique. If you know the technique(either through training or instinctively) then it is real simple. I definitely would not agree that only 2% of the population can solve this puzzle because once you know the technique, it is REALLY simple.

Intelligence is a touchy subject, absolutely. How can one truly measure mental aptitude in as wholistic and unbiased approach as possible? You can't just damn a set of tests because 1. you didn't do well in the exam yourself, 2. you have anecdotal evidence that speaks to the contrary (not very statistical), 3. you happen to know the strategies of an exam (it's not enough to know it; you have to apply it to many different situations under a time constraint) and 4. you can point out other 'intelligence' traits that the test doesn't measure. This is because, with any measurement, there are a set of caveats one must assume. Paramount, is how accurate the test can tease out the information it desires. In any case, the intelligence tests that we have today, while flawed, are an accepted measurement of mental aptitude.

Hehe.. don't want to start a war of words here but I have never stated that I didn't do well in SAT. :DI think my point here is what does those IQ tests measure? As you said, there are caveats and assumptions in those tests. More importantly, if someone does well in an IQ tests, what does it say? And if someone did mediocre, what does it say then?

Our society lives and dies by the metrics it places on itself. For good and bad...I absolutely agree with you. What does it say if someone does well in any standardized exam? Independent of whether there is an inherent intellectual difference between one who did well versus one who didn't do well in, say, the SAT, there are external factors that, as a result of the test scores would allow the person who did well greater opportunity for 'conventional' success. Obviously, bombing the SAT lessens your chances of getting into a competitive college. And, equally obviously, this does not necessarily reflect on whether or not you are an 'intelligent' person. Perhaps, it reflects on your standardized test taking abilities; perhaps on your ability to handle test-related stress. In any case, you are contemplating this notion within the reality of having society reduce the number of opportunities you have BECAUSE of the the exam. Should one demand a re-evaluation of the SAT and similar exams? No need; why? Because, at a regular pace, the IQ test, the SAT and other similar exams are changed to address our initial concerns. Point being: at a societal level, your performance on exams will put you in pre-determined categories throughout your life. Period. It is up to you to be an exception to the 'rule.'

I used to make a lot of similiar puzzles, still have some small "Logikwiz" (as it's called here in Dutch) booklets lying about in the house. It's fun and easy to do while in a vehicle or in-between stuff.

With the use of a special grid you analyse the data and apply them to the grid.

Posted Image

A grid for "4" 'features'. As you can see, there is a block for all the relationships between all features. In this case, the grid for einstein would be

Posted Image

All the info is set in the grid, the order doesn't really matter that much as long as it's reversed (the category top right should be second to the left, the top left category is only written once). Also note that for the positioning of the houses I appointed numbers.

Now how do you solve something like this? When you know something for sure, like a) the brit lives in a red house, you mark a + between brit and red house. For data you know that is incorrect, you mark a -. There is always one + in each column and row, so when you mark a + all the other's become - as show in the picture.

When you fill in all the data you can easily 'copy' characterisks from for example red, to brit by following the row and column of the + in NATIONALITY/HOUSE. There are lots of tricks like this you come up with after making a few puzzles.

Sure you can do it without, but when doing a lot of those puzzles it's more enjoyable like this.

At first it seems a lot of work to make such a structure, but it's fan and you can easily find shortcuts to solutions.

To those dutch speaking, some nice exercises on this page. For the others who may express interest I can translate a few

http://home.planet.nl/~d.langers/3gB.html

I'm not sure what the English term for these puzzles.

Hope you like this method :D