xisto Community
WeaponX

Find Out A Files Original File Type

Hi, is there any way to find out a file's original file type/extension? My friend gave me this song from a Chinese series and I had to play around with the extensions until I got it working (made it .wmv). He doesn't even know the original format, but I'm guessing he's using wmv to use it also. I tried naming it to .mp3 and .wma to see if those work...both failed.I like to keep all my audio files as mp3 files. Was going to look for a program to convert it to mp3, but have a question. I highly doubt this file was originally a .wmv file since it's just audio (song from the Chinese series). Just want to find out what's the actual extension so I can find a tool to do the conversion to mp3 format.Thanks.

what i would do is, download k-lite mega codec pack and install it, then just open that file with WMP and see if it can play... usually if the original format was a audio file, it doesn't really matter what extension it is!Reply and tell me the results!

Took perl over a year ago and wasn't really good at it :DDon't know why I didn't try this earlier, but I went into the file's Properties and checked out the Summary tab. It seems to have the Audio data in it. So I guess it was originally a wmv file after all.Yep, I played it in Windows Media Player already. It was the only one that worked since Winamp wouldn't accept it (when I thought it was a mp3 file originally).Just need to convert this song to mp3 now and I'm a happy camper :PThanks.

Also, most of the files, when open in Notepad, have some prefix at the biginning of the code. For example, if you see PK, it is zip; MZ is exe; ÿØÿà is jpg etc. I said most because even these aren't always like this. I don't know about music files, but I guess they would have some prefixes, too.

Opened in Notepad and got these first few letters - 0&²u.

I see WM Track, WM Year and other WM listings below the notepad file. I'll leave it as is and try to convert to mp3 when I can.

Thanks for all the help.