xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lonebyrd

Any Good Notepad2/Notepad++ Work-Alikes For PHP

Does anyone know if either Notepad2 or Notepad++ had any debugging or something like that for anything other that HTML. I am looking for something for PHP besides PHP Designer. Designer isn't really helping me. It's not telling me about closing my braces as people have pointed out to me, and it seems to be a little over my head. I know Notepad++ says its compatible with things like perl and javascript on it's homepage. I'm just looking for some additional help. Don't get me wrong, I like PHP Designer, but I could use all the help I can get until I can catch up on some web reading.

I don't know for sure one way or the other but it'd be worth checking into, I know it had brace checking in other coding like c and whatnot so I assume it's just gneeralized and not file type specific, and would therefor work if thats your main concern. I don't really know if it has any other debug stuff built in tho...

Actually PHP Designer allows you to set up how it operates. Just go to Options then select Editor Preferences there you can let PHP Designer automatically complete brackets of your choosing like [] {} () <> " and ' I use the {} [] () autocomplete but not the <> or the single quotes you may also select the color that these characters will be highlighted, when you first go to this menu you will see various options that you can pick and choose.

To check for closed brackets in a script just put your cursor to the immediate left of the bracket or brace and depending on the highlight color you selectd you will see the highlight then leaving the cursor hwere it is scrool down the page and look for the other matching brace which will also be highlighted and if you do not see the other beacket or brace then you know that that bracket or brace has not been closed. If you turn auto completion of brackets or braces then this will not happen too much, but other peoples code or code you wrote prior to using auto completion will possibly have incomplete bracket or braces.

I use Notepad++ for all my coding, be that .rc files for BBlean (BlackBox for windows yes yes), or html, css, php, even actionscript is coded in Notepad++. The key is, you can download syntax highlighting files. But from what I gather from your post, you are looking for a code completion feature as well, I don't use features like that, but I believe the latest version of Notepad++ has those. ... Yep, just checked, there are tuns of plugins (standardly) included that will search specific strings, add brackets, search for open brackets etc. :D