xisto Community
snutz411

911 Text Messaging

I honestly thought I was the first person to think of this for the 911 emergency service, but after I googled the term "911 text messaging", I learned that I was wrong.Apparently there are some places that already have this, and that completely stole my thunder. But it is a good concept for those situations when you can't talk on the phone in emergency situations.

911 text messaging sounds like a good idea to me - for the most part, and in specific situations, of course. If there's any way that I can have a spoken conversation with emergency services, I'm going to go that route because it's faster and easier. For me, anyway. I don't text at 60+ WPM like some people *grins*

However it'd be good to have some Alarm buttons on your mobile that sends immediate pre-set messages to 911. Say you're about to be mugged or held up at gun-point, you can alert the authorities at the press of a button and then 911 should be able to more or less pin-point your location based on the network cell you're in.. at least upto a certain degree of proximity. Then the rest is upto the cops to rush down and try to locate you.

Yeah nice though, good idea. But just think about it, when you want some help from 911 I dont think anyone here is going to text message them saying "Help, Help! I am in trouble." Like miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG said may be setting a set of keys as emergency numbers is a good idea. But still I doubt if anyone will really gonna TEXT MESSAGE 911 for help.Anyway it was really nice thinking, you reall thought about from no where. Good work.

I think this type of service may have a lot of pros and cons. The pros maybe it offers a silent way to contact the authorities to come to your aid, but the process of contacting in the form of text may be a little too inconveniant, compared to getting a direct response from the 911 service, so this might be the disadvantage. Im not quite so sure, this feature can have many different uses depending on the situation. But it never hurts to have another feature of contacting the proper authorities more discreetly.

Well I don’t know what it is like in America but 999 (the equivalent service) is one of the few numbers you can dial free from your mobile. So I would certainly call well before I would bother to text (that said…my texting ability is abominably slow).As far as having an emergency message I had this really great service at my old work. As we had to walk alone through rather dodgy areas of Glasgow they gave you a mobile with a GPS tracker, you would enter codes before you went through the area, like 401 or something and then again when you left, if you phoned or typed in another code during this period they would alert the police. I can’t quite remember the entire process as I fortunately never had to use it, but I remember that it did eliminate any fears.

However it'd be good to have some Alarm buttons on your mobile that sends immediate pre-set messages to 911. Say you're about to be mugged or held up at gun-point, you can alert the authorities at the press of a button and then 911 should be able to more or less pin-point your location based on the network cell you're in.. at least upto a certain degree of proximity. Then the rest is upto the cops to rush down and try to locate you.

I'm up for this idea! Personally, I'd hate to be charged 29 cents (or whatever Cingular charges for txt) just to make an emergency call. I can't txt a fast rate so I'd rather speak to someone.

An emergency button would be nice! I mean, they could put GPS software on the mobiles and when an incoming call comes in, it relays your current location and then the police come.

[N]F

Those are quite nice ideas, don't know about 911, but in my country you can call for any emergency by number 112 on a cell phone and it is free, you even can do it without putting a sim card and abusing the service with prank calls, which in my opinion is stupid. And having the ability to send text messages SMS or even MMS for free to emergency numbers like 911 or 112 etc. would be a good feature, just imagine you are running away from a murderer and you hide in a closet or some cellar and if you wanted to call the police you would make a lot of noise.. sending a text message would save your life, but it can take quite long to post the address, location.. can the police get your coordinates or something ?One rather bad thing about it is that there always will be idiots who will abuse the service with prank SMS calls and sometimes, the police might not be serious about them. But most phones need a sim card to be placed to write text messages, but I know some which can work without sim cards. :S

It is a nice idea but has to many cons.For example: - If you are being held at gunpoint you wouldn't be able to text 'hlp im bein hld at gnpnt' (Help I'm being held at gunpoint) and send the message without him/her realising. - Sometimes (At night I find) there can be a delay of several minutes or even hours before the message will be recieved.Of course if there was a button that automatically sent a preset message it eliminates the first scenario and as for the second one they could be given top priority and directly sent without any delays. Ahhh, the possibilities.

- If you are being held at gunpoint you wouldn't be able to text 'hlp im bein hld at gnpnt' (Help I'm being held at gunpoint) and send the message without him/her realising.

I think you wouldn't be able to call with your cell phone the police and say that you're in trouble too ;)

Of course if there was a button that automatically sent a preset message it eliminates the first scenario and as for the second one they could be given top priority and directly sent without any delays.

But how would the police know where to look ? You would need to send your current coordinates with your message, so your phone for example would need to support GPS technology. And yes, the SMS getting an hour or later might be a problem, but all police operators might be taken too (I doubt it, unless it was a contest) :P

One bad thing about that is if someone presses it by accident, or a mate thinks it's funny to set it off and blame you

One bad thing about that is if someone presses it by accident, or a mate thinks it's funny to set it off and blame you

Yeah, this also crossed my mind when I read this thread. Think about how bad you might feel if the button was just accidently pressed in your pocket one day and a whole police squad came "to your rescue".

God, I can just imagine the hordes of text messages saying, "i am bing muged rescu me". :D
Seriously though, this is a bad idea, I think. Well, actually, there's no real good solution to these things... so we should be working to eliminate crime, etc...
Actually, now that I think about it, how do mute people alert 911?

Yeah, this also crossed my mind when I read this thread. Think about how bad you might feel if the button was just accidently pressed in your pocket one day and a whole police squad came "to your rescue".

God, I can just imagine the hordes of text messages saying, "i am bing muged rescu me". :D

Seriously though, this is a bad idea, I think. Well, actually, there's no real good solution to these things... so we should be working to eliminate crime, etc...

Actually, now that I think about it, how do mute people alert 911?

Maybe they have some sort of panic button they can press...one for each kind of emergency? I really don't know...

I think text messaging for emergency services of course it has its cons in relating location but i somehow think that we're underestimating the police by requiring the phone to have GPS signals. I believe they can narrow it down to quite a small area without the GPS system.

Just did a google search on it and take a read of this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4738219.stm.

It's definitely out there and as you know how thing goes, probably more advanced than they usually disclose.

Ok... to make it clear:I can dial 9-1-1 and talk to a real person and have emergency services dispached by the time you even finish typing your txt msg... don't forget, EMS usually want to be 100% correct... you'd have to wait for them to txt you back and then before you know it, you've got $20 in emergency txt msg charges..I'll stick with the phone calls...[N]F

I don't know when i would ever use text messaging 911 calls in an emergency because i would not have the TIME. Can you imagin typing "My house is on fire. My dog is inside. My address is 1111 david st" dont think so, or at least not within a timely fashion.