xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ehecatl

Review: /www.tokyoplastic.com/ remember this site?

vote this site  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I cannot say much about the site. May be it is my connection. I could not see much of it as most of them did not load. But from what I saw, I like the simplistic, but yet professional design.

I have to admit, this site did amuse me quite a bit, especially me being the huge vector fan that I am. :D The animation ran smoothly and the menus were rather entertaining, almost as much as the feature works were.Despit it being a bit on the creepy side, both animation and picture wise, I like how it blending the power of abstract art into flash animation; not something many people can accomplish, but they seemed to have hit it right on the button.The only qualm I have with this website was that the opening page is kind of misleading, as it is not the menu screen, so I had to go around searching for it for a few seconds. Also, the animated menus, although wonderfully done, can be a bit confusing to work with. For example, you click on an option and the loading screen starts, but after it says it is done loading, the red spot is still there, albiet pulsing, but still there. I found it confusing and it took me a minute or two to realize how the menu works and that you're supposed to click on the little red pulsing spot to bring up what you are looking for. Besides the menus being confusing, I kind of got a bit frustrated when it came to some of the animations on the menu screen. Sometimes the animation was so long, I kind of got frustrated and started to think, "just show me the damn menu already!". :unsure:All in all though, I rather enjoyed this site, despite its strangeness. Animations were smooth and well executed (not to mention the "music box" feature in the "bits & pieces" section was worth a chuckle or two from me), and overall, I site I'd visit again in my spare time, and check back on once and again to see if there is anything new.My compliments to the creator! Two thumbs up! Way up! :D

The site is nicely done. Though I agree with mpinsky--the site's menu confused me quite a bit. I mean, there's a "hosted by" and then there's also a "black dog". So I could have assumed that they meant hosted by a site called black dog; yet, there's two separate images, one for "hosted by" and one for "black dog", leading me to think that Black dog is an affiliate while "hosted by" just leads to their hosting site.Also, the "enter" sign was hard to notice--I guess it would've been nicer if it had been a bit more obvious (like with an icon would've been better). My attention instead turned to the "shop" button at the bottom; I ended up entering the site through that button. The animation was very very cool! I really liked all the effects that they did with the Japanese flag--especially when the red circle in the middle ate up a mess of plants, and how that same red circle turned into a person's head. Very interesting ideas they had there. I dislike the fact that the animation had to come up in a popup though. I would've liked it more if it had just stayed in the same window--much easier to deal with. Navigation might be slightly confusing for some users, but I really like how you have to click on the venus fly traps to go somewhere. (And the movement of the venus fly traps...:unsure:) The font that described each menu might be slightly on the small side though, and I find the descriptions a bit slow at loading. (I'm just kinda in a hurry to see things, I guess)I also enjoyed the number of transformations that take place between clicking on links--so very unique! Navigating between links can be slightly confusing though--a lot of users might wonder where exactly they're supposed to be clicking, so it might be better to have some kind of sign that says, "Click here" or something.The drummer production was very cool (though the navigation was sort of a hassle; it might've been better if it all performed in one go). The subtle and sudden transformations surprised and amused me. The drummers had some nice music to go along with them too. :D The one problem might be that some parts move too slowly. For instance, in the beginning when they wanted to show that it was a TokyoPlastic production, they did a lot of animation before they finally got down to the point. Very roundabout way of doing it.Overall, the flow of one animation to another was really great--the transformations were well executed and very smooth. This has got to be one of the best Flash sites I've seen--it sure stays away from the conventional ebb and flow. :D Great job to whoever made it!

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)