xisto Community
html_man

Firefox Or IE (New Version): Which One Is Better? Which one is better?

Firefox or IE?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, as the title says which one is better????The new IE version has navigation by tabs and stuff like FirefoxFirefox is kinda sameWhich one is better? In my opinion IE tried to copy Firefoz This Time

My money is still on firefox.
Ie 7 is a blantent rip of firefox.. cmon.. tabbed browsing in IE? bah....
We shall see how long the firefox ride lasts, they have been having some problems lately.

-C

Ok, as the title says which one is better????The new IE version has navigation by tabs and stuff like Firefox
Firefox is kinda same
Which one is better?
In my opinion IE tried to copy Firefoz This Time

It is my opinion that Firefox is much better. Firefox offers so much more than IE ever has. If IE can find a way to make itself better or equal to Firefox, then I would surely rethink my decisio, but for now I stick with Firefox.Edit: I should have read the last two posts before posting. I agree with you that IE is trying to rip of Firefox, but it just proves that IE can never be better than Firefox.

Edited by 108Soc (see edit history)

I doubt about that, all the previous post were in favour of FF, let me show you what IE has got and FF will never have.
The browser loading speed is faster in IE than FF
Security is more in IE when compared to FF. (Most of have the impression that FF is more Secure)
IE is getting advertised on a stand-alone basis, whereas FF has Google's support.
"Float" HTML commands work best with IE.
Scrollbar colours command does not have affect on FF.
The "hide status bar messgar" also does not seem to work fine all the time.

And talking about those tabs, its not a copy, Micro$oft has built it upon user-feedback. You and I want tabs, right? Now we just have to wait until the final release of the software is made, mean-while all of us can use the IE 7 Beta verison.

By supporting IE, I dont say IE is the best, actually IE sucks. I just gave you the brighter side of IE, which is smaller when compared to its darker side.

It is my opinion that Firefox is much better. Firefox offers so much more than IE ever has. If IE can find a way to make itself better or equal to Firefox, then I would surely rethink my decisio, but for now I stick with Firefox.
Edit: I should have read the last two posts before posting. I agree with you that IE is trying to rip of Firefox, but it just proves that IE can never be better than Firefox.

Okay fine, both browsers have their own Pros and Cons, but I will still support Firefox. I should go try the new IE before I make my final decision on it. I could be making a mistake.

I doubt about that, all the previous post were in favour of FF, let me show you what IE has got and FF will never have.

The browser loading speed is faster in IE than FF

Here you're ignoring some hard facts are putting in a very biased opinion. It's widely known that the sole reason why IE loads so fast is because most of the browsers backing code is already loaded when windows boots. The IE engine itself is behind the Windows Explorer thingie - when you click on the IE icon, it simply has to load the GUI. If Firefox was allowed to embed part of its code into Windows - it'd startup umpteenth times faster than IE.

Security is more in IE when compared to FF. (Most of have the impression that FF is more Secure)

That is pure unadulterated *BLEEP* :P IE is leaking like a sieve when is comes to security holes. I'm not saying that Firefox is 100% secure - but whatever holes are there in Firefox, they get discovered in a matter of moments and are patched and plugged overnight. The same takes over an year or two with ultra-sluggish release of the so called "Service Packs".

IE is getting advertised on a stand-alone basis, whereas FF has Google's support.

If you didn't know - there's another big anti-trust case coming up against IE/MS as starting from IE7, MS has made MSN the default search engine for IE. Not that you cannot set your default search engine to be Google or something else but for most first time users, it's a tricky scenario. MS is upto its slimy tricks again to try and drive the search traffic to its own site.

"Float" HTML commands work best with IE.

Scrollbar colours command does not have affect on FF.

The "hide status bar messgar" also does not seem to work fine all the time.

Once again we come to the extremely non-standards compliant rendering engine of IE. it simply doesn't want to adhere to any of the standardized rendering models. MS tries to come up with new IE specific stuff to try and prove itself to be a trendsetter - but then its products are so horrible that for next 'x' years it spends taking out service packs to patch those bugs and very conveniently looses out on the "trend-setting edge" that it initially tried to gain. None of those features you mentioned are in any way a part of the W3C CSS/HTML specifications - hence they mean asbolutely NOTHING ;)

And talking about those tabs, its not a copy, Micro$oft has built it upon user-feedback. You and I want tabs, right? Now we just have to wait until the final release of the software is made, mean-while all of us can use the IE 7 Beta verison.

I'd agree that tabs aren't a copy - coz Opera was the first one to have it. In that respect Firefox could be said to be a copy of Opera too.. But the fact is both these browsers did it FIRST... they were the trend-setters and they carried it off in full flying colours ;) whereas IE was left behind by some 3-4 years to mess up your whole desktop with a never ending series of untrackable unmanagable windows..

By supporting IE, I dont say IE is the best, actually IE sucks. I just gave you the brighter side of IE, which is smaller when compared to its darker side.

NOW - you're talking sense :P

There's a big battle brewing - Google's already filed or is going to file a case against MS about that whole MSN as a default search engine for IE7 issue. I'm just going to sit and watch the fun and follow it all with the help of the frequent newsflashes from Google Desktop using Firefox :)

m^e just said exactly what I wanted to :P No matter how much we try to improve the overall opinion on IE, it really isn't posibble, because we would be lying. So, my voice goes to Firefox.

Hi:Another reason to choose Firefox is that IE works with Windows XP or superior OS, if you still use -as myself- for example Windows 2000 you cant install it.regards,

I am still rather annoyed that IE is still sticking with some of its IE only code...What bullcrap...At least Firefox sticks with the international standards. It's not as if the IE code adds anything significant and probably could be achieved with other bits of code.

I was a strictly IE only person before coming to this forum. But after reading some things other members have said about FF, and all the negative things there were to IE, I decided to download FF and give it a test run. At the time, I still had another person still using my computer who would be lost if I got rid of IE so I kept it as my default browser. But I have to say, I a completely satisfied with FireFox. I have had no problems with it at all, and I love the extensions it has. Now that I am the only one who regularly uses my computer, FF IS my default browser, and I plan to keep it that way.

On principle, Firefox is better. If for nothing else but to keep Microsoft developers paranoid that they may lose their command of the browser world. I also find that Firefox, because it is open source, is theoretically better than IE can ever be. It is more adaptable and customizable. When there are serious errors, the community is much faster to react.... etc.

Here is something every one has to see, its in favour of Micorosft Internet Explorer. View this site using both Micorosft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Now hover over the sentence "PLEASE VISIT OUR FORUMS FOR THE LATEST HAPPENINGS". See the diffrence and tell what do you feel about Mozilla Firefox. Click here to view the site I am talking about.
I feel Mozilla Firefox is sick, it cant even execute descent JavaScripts, where Micorosft Internet Explorer fully supports every kind of script. Also one more thing, Micorosft Internet Explorer can dispaly FTP folders whereas Mozilla Firefox cant (I tried using Mozilla Firefox to open Tripod FTP and it does'nt open, I dont' know about other hosting companies).

The only reason I think that Mozilla Firefox became so popular is that its FREE with most of the descent features and ofcourse with the search engine giant, Google. And goole was'nt there I dont think it would have ever enterd the competition. In that point-of-view, Micorosft Internet Explorer sucks as it is'nt for free. And those Micro$oft as*h**** have the stupid operating system authentication procedures to prove that your operating system is'nt a fake one, even for Micorosft Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2. What the heck...I wonder if the want to really test the browser or is it another way to get rid of piracy.

Edited by ganeshn11 (see edit history)

Here is something every one has to see, its in favour of Micorosft Internet Explorer. View this site using both Micorosft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Now hover over the sentence "PLEASE VISIT OUR FORUMS FOR THE LATEST HAPPENINGS". See the diffrence and tell what do you feel about Mozilla Firefox. 

I feel Mozilla Firefox is sick, it cant even execute descent JavaScripts, where Micorosft Internet Explorer fully supports every kind of script. Also one more thing, Micorosft Internet Explorer can dispaly FTP folders whereas Mozilla Firefox cant (I tried using Mozilla Firefox to open Tripod FTP and it does'nt open, I dont' know about other hosting companies).

The only reason I think that Mozilla Firefox became so popular is that its FREE with most of the descent features and ofcourse with the search engine giant, Google. And goole was'nt there I dont think it would have ever enterd the competition. In that point-of-view, Micorosft Internet Explorer sucks as it is'nt for free. And those Micro$oft as*h**** have the stupid operating system authentication procedures to prove that your operating system is'nt a fake one, even for Micorosft Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2. What the heck...I wonder if the want to really test the browser or is it another way to get rid of piracy.

Well, as you suggest i visit that site with both browsers i use everytime -IE 6 SP1 and Firefox 1.5.0.3- and hover over the sentence and nothings happens in both browsers.

So i view the source code to check why nothing happens when someone hovers over the sentence and i find the answer to this. Nothing happens because the page dont load an external javascript file -in this case named animate.js- because this file is not uploaded to the server.

For your problem with FTP Firefox have some extensions that can help you. Check this if you want:

• FireFTP: FireFTP is a free, secure, cross-platform FTP client for Mozilla Firefox which provides easy and intuitive access to FTP servers.
  • Digger: Allows you to navigate to parent directories in a URL, switch to the ftp equivalent of an http site (or vice versa), and climb through subdomains (e.g. go to example.com/ from sub.example.com/), all from a context menu on the Go button (and on the toolbar button provided by Go Up, if you have that extension installed). Digger was originally based on the Adam Lock's Diggler extension.
  • Diggler: Diggler is a small but powerful add-on for Firefox and Mozilla. It adds a menu button next to the address bar with actions relevant to the current URL, for example to step out to the parent directory, or to visit the equivalent ftp URL, or to visit the site in archive.org. A single click on the menu button also clears the location bar (much like the one in Konqueror) - useful for keyboard free browsing.

Here's a cool addition to your Firefox - an extension called IE Tab - which lets you view those IE-only/IE-optimized pages without ever leaving your favourite browser. This renders those pages using the IE engine.

You can grab it at:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You can even set certain pages to load in IE only mode - for example the MSN range.. when you type in the URL Firefox automatically launches an IE Tab and opens the page in it.

This way, you can always view the same page side-by-side in two tabs in both Firefox and IE mode and check out the differences...

Who needs IE anyway :P

I downloaded the IE7 Beta and found it a bit 'confusing' at first, especially because the menu toolbar was turned off by default. The theme wasn't that nice in XP and, like I said above, it was also added to the 'confusion'.

I am a Firefox fan all the way and have numerous extensions installed that improve my internet experience and do things IE has never thought of. I also think the fact the Firefox is open-source adds to it's popularity because programmers can make their own extensions and themes for Firefox, in the time it takes Microsoft to release one update for IE, Firefox has gone up another .1 in it's version number.

I didn't like the fact that IE6 was released and after 3 or 4 major updates they suddenly ended. Does Microsoft think they fixed all the bugs and that no one will find a different way to hack it's browser?

I believe that Firefox does have more security holes than IE does, but IE is still very vulnerable because the majority of Internet users are using the browser and hackers have hacked around the security patches in IE because they can attack a wider range of users than hacking Firefox.